Tour recommendations for out of Amsterdam

Hello,  I will be cruising to Europe next summer followed by a river cruise.  The river cruise is Amsterdam roundtrip and I will have stayed there 4 days prior to the river cruise.  Upon returning I am looking for a short roundtrip 4 to 5 day tour out of Amsterdam.  Does anyone have any sample itineraries or could you point me to a blog or website?  Thank you . 

PS we originally intended to go to Paris but during that week there is a major event and hotels are in short supply and very expensive

• Like 1

Will you drive?  Take the train?

Is your river cruise visiting Cologne/Dusseldorf?

There is much more to France than Paris.

Remember the 'cheap' air options in Europe - Ryanair was the largest in Europe pre covid.  Also Transavia in Nederlands.

Do you use withinhours.com?  Gives good suggestions within a specific time frame or mileage.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Will you drive?  Take the train?

Is your river cruise visiting Cologne/Dusseldorf?

There is much more to France than Paris.

Remember the 'cheap' air options in Europe - Ryanair was the largest in Europe pre covid.  Also Transavia in Nederlands.

Do you use withinhours.com?  Gives good suggestions within a specific time frame or mileage.

Thank you.  I think we will train and /or fly.  Gasoline is high by our standards and we will be traveling light.  

2 minutes ago, swin26 said:

We would love to spend time in the Netherlands other than Amsterdam.  Here is a website that lists a number of day trips from Amsterdam.  It is on our vacation list for a land trip. 

https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-day-trips-amsterdam/

Here is another

https://www.jetsetter.com/magazine/day-trips-from-amsterdam/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gnome12 said:

If you are going to be travelling as day trips, you might want to consider basing yourself somewhere outside of Amsterdam; less expensive and less crowded.

I agree!!!

What would you like to see and visit? Quaint little towns similar to Amsterdam but without the crowds, Delft, Haarlem, Leiden? Typical Dutch tourist sights/sites of windmills at Kinderdijk or small towns like Volendam? Or visit some of the reclaimed land and some of the ingenuity behind it like the Deltawerken? Or the modern city of Rotterdam? Or the nature parks? Or the burgundian south?

You can practically do it all in your 4/5 days anyway heh, gotta love a small country! :classic_happy:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

What would you like to see and visit? Quaint little towns similar to Amsterdam but without the crowds, Delft, Haarlem, Leiden? Typical Dutch tourist sights/sites of windmills at Kinderdijk or small towns like Volendam? Or visit some of the reclaimed land and some of the ingenuity behind it like the Deltawerken? Or the modern city of Rotterdam? Or the nature parks? Or the burgundian south?

You can practically do it all in your 4/5 days anyway heh, gotta love a small country! :classic_happy:

As I will have just completed a river cruise I think I would have seen many city highlights of Netherlands.  Plus I have two free days prior to the river cruise to explore the Dutch countryside from Amsterdam.   I have been to Rotterdam (2 day visit) on my last cruise.I was thinking a short jaunt to either France or Germany.  I prefer the scenic countryside rather than large urban areas.   Because of airfare costs and direct flights my best option is to return to Amsterdam for my flights back to the US so it would be round trip back to AMS

Thank you all for answering.  I was away for a week so I apologize for my delayed responses. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

Due to Covid traveling has changed a lot. There used to be a dutch travel agent (Lindbergh) in Amsterdam that offered tours to Belgium and Germany etc. However they are closed because of lack of clients. I have no idea whether they will reopen once things are back to normal.

This private driver also organised tours, of course you can contact him with your questions too. http://www.dagtoertaxi.nl/private-tour.html

Another option for you can be to book international traintickets to e.g. Brussels or Paris and make your own arrangements. For schedules and prices check this site: https://www.nsinternational.com/en

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...