Using NCL air Promotion

KC12

I called NCL earlier today with these types of questions.  The CSR indicated that the maximum number of stopovers allowed is 2 and the layovers cannot exceed 2 hours.   

I've done it a handful of times, overall no issues and worth the $1,000s of dollars we saved. But absolutely price check yourself. You can cancel the flights up to 60 days before sailing (this may change, or may have already changed) - so when you start getting closer to final payment date see what it would cost you on your own. If you find better flights that work for you or are cheaper - book it yourself and call NCL to cancel their flights.

We sailed JFK to Miami on AA for free and had issues with the flights that caused us to nearly miss the ship - but it all worked out in the end and we didn't miss sail away.

Used their air promo again to fly JFK to Honolulu for $600 each - would have cost over $1000 on our own. No issues, easy transfer to the port and had a cocktail in hand before it sunk in that I was in Hawaii.

Used them again to fly JFK to San Juan for $300 each. Flew in a day early and again had no issues at all. 

Just keep in mind that they automatically add on transfer fees to get you from the airport to the port (and back again). Check those prices - again, those can be removed if you prefer to do it on your own. For San Juan we dropped the transfers coming in, but used them going home. For our 2023 cruise to Iceland they're charging $150/pp for transfers - we'll be dropping those for sure. For $300 I could have a limo picking us up with a puffin to keep us company.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sarajevosue said:

If you use this service and you are put on an airline that you have sufficient miles on, can you upgrade using mileage?

I believe yes. Once they lock you onto a flight you get the record locator number and can go directly to they airlines website to pick seats or upgrade to comfort plus.

My TA just called saying NCL is not offering pre-cruise flight deviation at this time on the Jewel March 2023 Panama Canal sailing (roundtrip Panama) we just booked, just same day flight. I know it's almost 2 years out, and things can change, just wondering if anyone else has run into this. Didn't have a problem adding it when we booked in Feb for Europe June 2022. LOVE the $199.50 pp/rt price but it's not worth missing the boat if something holds us up.

Edited by Indyopie

2 hours ago, Indyopie said:

My TA just called saying NCL is not offering pre-cruise flight deviation at this time on the Jewel March 2023 Panama Canal sailing (roundtrip Panama) we just booked, just same day flight. I know it's almost 2 years out, and things can change, just wondering if anyone else has run into this. Didn't have a problem adding it when we booked in Feb for Europe June 2022. LOVE the $199.50 pp/rt price but it's not worth missing the boat if something holds us up.

When we booked our 11-Day  Norway, Scotland, Iceland cruise we were able to book the deviation at the beginning of the cruise, but not the end, because it was too far out.  I have since called back and was able to add the deviation to the end.  We booked May 5, 2020 for July 3, 2022 Cruise.

1 minute ago, MrsTocko said:

When we booked our 11-Day  Norway, Scotland, Iceland cruise we were able to book the deviation at the beginning of the cruise, but not the end, because it was too far out.  I have since called back and was able to add the deviation to the end.  We booked May 5, 2020 for July 3, 2022 Cruise.

Thanks for the info!  TA said he didn't get an answer as to why it was not available, we assumed it was because it's so far out but it would have been nice if they had said that. 

So can I just confirm - If I find a cheaper or more direct flight, will I know the NCL arranged flights prior to the time I can cancel them from my reservation without penalty?  Also has anyone had success in getting more than a 2 night deviation for European cruises?  Thanks

2 hours ago, skatie said:

So can I just confirm - If I find a cheaper or more direct flight, will I know the NCL arranged flights prior to the time I can cancel them from my reservation without penalty?  Also has anyone had success in getting more than a 2 night deviation for European cruises?  Thanks

Final payment for your cruise should be due 90 days prior.  NCL books your flights according to their website anytime between 45-60 days prior.  So, you need to make a decision at the 91 day mark before making final payment as to whether you will book your own air or take it from NCL.  So, it looks like you will not know the exact flights prior to having to make a decision at the 91 day mark, only the amount that you will spend via NCL or on your own.  At that time only you can decide if probably paying more to control your flights is worth it to you or not.  I look at it like an insurance policy.

33 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Final payment for your cruise should be due 90 days prior.  NCL books your flights according to their website anytime between 45-60 days prior.  So, you need to make a decision at the 91 day mark before making final payment as to whether you will book your own air or take it from NCL.  So, it looks like you will not know the exact flights prior to having to make a decision at the 91 day mark, only the amount that you will spend via NCL or on your own.  At that time only you can decide if probably paying more to control your flights is worth it to you or not.  I look at it like an insurance policy.

60 days, according to my current booking with NCL. They ticket after that according to the information they provided me.

Just now, WanderingBrit said:

60 days, according to my current booking with NCL. They ticket after that according to the information they provided me.

It would not matter if they ticket it at 89 or at 1, you still need to make a determination whether you're staying with the promo or buying it on your own at the 90 day mark when final payment is due.

On 5/17/2021 at 11:51 PM, Sailing12Away said:

Used them again to fly JFK to San Juan for $300 each. Flew in a day early and again had no issues at all. 

I've never used this promo before and was wondering if NCL flys you in a day early, do they put you up in a hotel?

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, ms sjsky said:

I've never used this promo before and was wondering if NCL flys you in a day early, do they put you up in a hotel?

Thanks.

They don't include the hotel when they fly you in to the departure since arriving a day or 2 early is your choice.  They do have hotels available which you can book but as @mpdog42 indicated they are usually quite pricey. In general, you can usually find a nice hotel on your own. 

I will add that the exception is Hawaii.  They offer packages there followed by the cruise. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise
added info
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 9:40 AM, Alegeeter said:

Final payment is now 60 days, not 90.

Final payment for my 2022 cruise is 120 days.  I booked the cruise with free air for second person.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, MrsTocko said:

We booked the August 8, 2022 cruise to Iceland and were able to deviations on both ends.  Go figure.

• Like 1

I just put a deposit on a cruise for this September with air, & in the reservation it indicates that the air will be LA to Rome going & Rome to Toronto, Toronto to LA returning. I really like the air itinerary but can it change before final payment?

As the last year has demonstrated, anything can change at anytime.  We used to drive across the river to have dinner in Canada.  We used to drive 4 hours to Toronto to save thousands of dollars on airfare to Europe.  Not now.  Or for the last year.  Or for who knows how much longer.