Dinner attire on AmaWaterways

cruisefan1129

There are certainly days you can go from shore to dining room.  When we ate at The Chefs Table specialty restaurant we dressed up (black dress pants and blouse) some men had jackets and ties, some did not.  The main dining room was casual, leggings, jeans, sweaters, etc.  Depending upon the time you return to the board, there is a Sip And Sail Happy hour and then straight into the dining room. Hope this helps.  Hope you have as wonderful of a trip as we did on AMA.   Scheduled for our second trip with them in the fall.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Dinner attire. Ama Waterways
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 6:38 PM, hoosier2017 said:

There are certainly days you can go from shore to dining room.  When we ate at The Chefs Table specialty restaurant we dressed up (black dress pants and blouse) some men had jackets and ties, some did not.  The main dining room was casual, leggings, jeans, sweaters, etc.  Depending upon the time you return to the board, there is a Sip And Sail Happy hour and then straight into the dining room. Hope this helps.  Hope you have as wonderful of a trip as we did on AMA.   Scheduled for our second trip with them in the fall.

Good to hear. We have a B2B with Ama in France this August (hopefully!) and are looking forward to a fun, relaxing vacation. Our first experience with AMA. 

8 hours ago, Wings55 said:

Good to hear. We have a B2B with Ama in France this August (hopefully!) and are looking forward to a fun, relaxing vacation. Our first experience with AMA. 

It will probably be fun but may not be relaxing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wings55 said:

Hi, I sailed with AMA back in 2016--loved it. But as Roz just stated, a river cruise is very active. I mean you can do nothing but the point of a river cruise is to go and see the places and there are stops  nearly every day.  It is not a stressful trip by any means but I would not classify it as a "relaxing"......

To me, relaxing is laying out by the pool on a Caribbean cruise and really not doing anything except maybe reading a book, sipping a drink......napping......

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:38 PM, hoosier2017 said:

When we ate at The Chefs Table specialty restaurant we dressed up (black dress pants and blouse) some men had jackets and ties, some did not.  The main dining room was casual, leggings, jeans, sweaters, etc.  Depending upon the time you return to the board, there is a Sip And Sail Happy hour and then straight into the dining room. Hope this helps.  Hope you have as wonderful of a trip as we did on AMA.   Scheduled for our second trip with them in the fall.

I prefer to travel without a sport coat or a suit coat; after all this is a vacation. There will be others at The Chef's Table witout jackets? I don't mind wearing a dress shirt, long pants and real shoes. 

8 minutes ago, WhereShouldWeGoNext said:

I prefer to travel without a sport coat or a suit coat; after all this is a vacation. There will be others at The Chef's Table witout jackets? I don't mind wearing a dress shirt, long pants and real shoes. 

I think you will be fine in the dress shirt without a jacket.

You will love AMA. They were our first cruise also, Amsterdam to Budapest.  You will see every kind of dress for dinner. The only night I saw more dressy was Captains dinner but even then some came dressed directly from tours. No issues. I found the River cruise delightfull and have now been on most of the European rivers on several different lines and enjoyed all of them .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

3 hours ago, angela miller said:

You will love AMA. They were our first cruise also, Amsterdam to Budapest.  You will see every kind of dress for dinner. The only night I saw more dressy was Captains dinner but even then some came dressed directly from tours. No issues. 

Whew!  Thank you. 

On 5/31/2021 at 12:40 PM, Lois R said:

We travel in July so my husband skips the sport coat  & packs a dress shirt, real shoes & a tie.  The tie is for the Welcome/Farewell dinners-sometimes he wears it sometimes, depends on how others are dressed.  As a bonus-a tie takes up a lot less room in the suitcase than a sport coat does.

1 hour ago, need2travel1 said:

We travel in July so my husband skips the sport coat  & packs a dress shirt, real shoes & a tie.  The tie is for the Welcome/Farewell dinners-sometimes he wears it sometimes, depends on how others are dressed.  As a bonus-a tie takes up a lot less room in the suitcase than a sport coat does.

But it doesn't keep you warm in a cool dining room, or let you do the suave thing and wrap it around your cold DW's shoulders...

On 5/31/2021 at 9:16 AM, Lois R said:

Hi, I sailed with AMA back in 2016--loved it. But as Roz just stated, a river cruise is very active. I mean you can do nothing but the point of a river cruise is to go and see the places and there are stops  nearly every day.  It is not a stressful trip by any means but I would not classify it as a "relaxing"......

To me, relaxing is laying out by the pool on a Caribbean cruise and really not doing anything except maybe reading a book, sipping a drink......napping......

LOL!  Perhaps my choice of 'relaxing' wasn't the proper term. We've sailed with Scenic and Uniworld and we agree river cruises can b e very busy. However we enjoy it that way. Busy on vacation can be relaxing. Busy at work.... not so much! 

Can't wait to get back to cruising again.

Paul 😊

I have been on 3 AMA cruises. (2 in Spring and one over Christmas/New Years) On all, dress for dinner is what I would call business casual. While some folks do dress up, most women wear casual dresses or pants/blouse and men wear Khakis and at least a polo type shirt. Most dress up a little more for the farewell dinner or if you are dining in the Chef's Table restaurant. I guess bottom line, as long as you are not wearing shorts/t-shirts, you should be fine and even if you normally dress up for dinner, you won't feel out of place. Lets face it, it is your vacation!! 

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Dinner attire on AmaWaterways