Sailing out of Fort Lauderdale

abby1257

Never say never, but not for the foreseeable future. Carnival dropped San Juan and Fort Lauderdale when it sold 4 Fantasy-class ships. It won't be until Carnival Celebration is completed in November 2022 that Carnival will have as much passenger capacity as it did pre-pandemic - and that will be with two fewer ships. Even then Carnival could still sell another Fantasy-class ship and still be slightly up in capacity from where it was in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I love sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, doesn't it make sense that CCL would have concentrated their Carnival brand and Princess brand into single ports in the area?

That's disappointing. I'd rather sail out of Ft. Lauderdale than Miami. And Ft. Lauderdale is a closer starting point for Caribbean cruises than Jacksonville or Port Canaveral, though there are surely other factors involved in their decision.

That said, it's not a deal breaker to sail out of Miami either.

8 minutes ago, dbrucern said:

I really missed sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale so we stay there

instead of Miami when we fly in for a cruise

And from the point of view of flying Northward

from Barbados to catch a Florida cruise,

I'm told that entering the USA at FLL is not the nightmare that MIA is!

I don't stand-in-line very well (not for long periods: health reasons)

so FLL has the definite advantage, for me!

Did I mention that I "love" airports? Don't we all?

They will not have any trouble filling the ships whenever they do resume cruises from PE. I always thought it was a great cruiseport. Airfare was often less than MIA. Also, so convenient for pre/post-cruise stays.

5 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Right now, Carnival is not sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale due to dredging work being done by the port, limiting ship traffic. I would expect that once this work is done, they will be back.

Besides the dredging and widening the turning basin  near 17th Street, they just finished a huge parking garage between terminals #2 and #4.  They are also building a new terminal #4 where Carnival sailed out of and a new convention center.  I am hoping that in the next year or two they do return to PEV.  I work there and it is 4.5 miles from my house!!

54 minutes ago, mscinmia said:

Besides the dredging and widening the turning basin  near 17th Street, they just finished a huge parking garage between terminals #2 and #4.  They are also building a new terminal #4 where Carnival sailed out of and a new convention center.  I am hoping that in the next year or two they do return to PEV.  I work there and it is 4.5 miles from my house!!

I would of thought a convention center would be closer to downtown Ft. Lauderdale. Hope we're not competing for hotel rooms at higher prices. I was aware of the dredging as others have posted. New terminal and parking garage sound like welcome improvements.

• 2 years later...
44 minutes ago, threedjmay said:

Is there a timeline when Carnival will depart from Fort Lauderdale?

Nothing is in the works well into 2026. I honestly doubt they return anytime soon. Carnival cruises these days out of Miami while their sister companies Princess and HAL sail from FLL.