Will NCL pull a "ROYAL" with the Gem and Joy??

mpdog42

5 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It's not even another 10%... it's just your old 10% being put back on your account, because you aren't allowed to have more than one, no matter how many cruises they pull out from under you.

I know...it's an insult.  I don't even WANT TO sail the GEM because of this!  This has nothing to do with COVID.  It had EVERYTHING to do with getting (and keeping) our fares.  Joy out of Montego Bay...I was so excited about the ship and sailing from there.

How NCL can do this with a straight face and claim they want the best for us is a joke!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

Hopefully, they'll refund me the "cruise first" certificate that I purchased as my down payment... After this "ploy", I don't see me booking with NCL for awhile...

"Return to Sea" my butt...

Feel badly for you too, Sid.  You were the first of us to pull the trigger on the Joy/Jamaica.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

If they transferred the crew from Joy to Bliss it's only fair to transfer the passengers too!

Really surprised they aren't offering this, especially to loyal NCL folk like @JamieLogical who clearly had every right to expect Joy would sail as announced. If this happened to us, I'd be emailing my TA right now to ask, firmly but respectfully, to allow it.

• Like 2

Still steamed....just think of all those hotel reservations in Jamaica which have to be cancelled, the restaurant business and port traffic that will dry up for that area.  I have to get in touch with my airlines and beg them to, yet again, let me change my flights with no fees.  This is just a poor...POOR business decision on NCL's part.  There's really no silver lining (except maybe I get to try Celebrity, which I haven't been on in a decade) and nothing good that will come from this.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It's not even another 10%... it's just your old 10% being put back on your account, because you aren't allowed to have more than one, no matter how many cruises they pull out from under you.

IKR?  Feel badly for your family as I know you went through a lot of work to get your family aligned to do this, and I think it was a B2B, IIRC?

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

IKR?  Feel badly for your family as I know you went through a lot of work to get your family aligned to do this, and I think it was a B2B, IIRC?

Good luck!

Yeah, I had to call my Dad and break the news a little bit ago. It REALLY sucks. Now my Dad says he won't be cruising until 2022 at the earliest.

9 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Really surprised they aren't offering this, especially to loyal NCL folk like @JamieLogical who clearly had every right to expect Joy would sail as announced. If this happened to us, I'd be emailing my TA right now to ask, firmly but respectfully, to allow it.

Agreed - I thought for sure they would give some options to those that supported them enough to book these sailings, I have no skin in the game other than disappointment for everyone that has been cancelled on for what, in my opinion, was a really lousy reason! Many of the other lines offer the option to transfer your booking to another sailing with same price/perks so why couldn't NCL in this case? Why on earth would anyone have any faith in them going forward?

1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

Agreed - I thought for sure they would give some options to those that supported them enough to book these sailings, I have no skin in the game other than disappointment for everyone that has been cancelled on for what, in my opinion, was a really lousy reason! Many of the other lines offer the option to transfer your booking to another sailing with same price/perks so why couldn't NCL in this case? Why on earth would anyone have any faith in them going forward?

Right? When our Princess sailing to Alaska was cancelled, they transferred our booking to the new ship for the same week. Same price and perks. Even got to keep our aft-facing balcony.

• Like 1

Just now, JamieLogical said:

Right? When our Princess sailing to Alaska was cancelled, they transferred our booking to the new ship for the same week. Same price and perks. Even got to keep our aft-facing balcony.

Exactly - I have had multiple Princess bookings moved to others at same price point and same room category. I know Royal and Celebrity also allow the lift and shift option, so it's not like it's asking a lot! I'm so sorry you got cancelled on after getting that Haven room!!!

Seems time to write a nice letter to NCL's customer service department. Explain how much you love the cruise line and were excited to be part of its return to sailing, about the itinerary, ship, and port of embarkation. Even throw in how safe you felt knowing NCL was requiring 100% vaccinated crew and passengers. That you had made arrangements with other family members, time off from work, even booked hotel rooms and airfare all with the belief that your cruise was going to go off without a hitch.

And then mention that while you were disappointed with the recent news of the cancellation, you would love to continue sailing with NCL provided they could move you to a comparable cabin on a different ship for the same amount. I think it's at least worth trying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I made my feelings known to my PCC. She can pass it up the chain if she thinks it will make a difference. After pricing things out, I *think* we are leaning towards the Sky, because the two weeks we were planning on doing our B2B, there are actually different itineraries on the Sky, which is appealing. Also, the travel is less daunting. We'll be able to use up all of our CruiseNext and FCC and the only thing we will lose is our recently purchased CruiseFirst. So we'll be out that $250, but then we can walk away and not look back. That's assuming the Sky actually sails, of course, which is a HUGE assumption at this point.

I have sailed on the Sun...I think you'll enjoy the Sky....there is a great forward area that is available to everyone...at least there was on the Sun...not as many bells and whistles for sure....

51 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

I’m taking my first Celebrity sailing in a week. A few weeks ago I asked on the Celebrity board what they liked about NCL vs Celebrity and 95% of the people ripped NCL apart. It made me feel kind of bad because I really like NCL and I felt up until this mess, loyal to them. 

We all have our choice of sailings now on NCL, but I wanted the Joy in Jamaica. If I wanted the Bliss, Gem or Sky I would have booked those in the first place. If I book one now, I feel like I’m settling. 

But you should try Celebrity, I’ve read nothing but good things about them. 

I have sailed both lines..I like them both, for different reasons.  Kids/activities like slides, etc better on NCL Away Class.....service, like no issue for towels, better drink package, food, I prefer Celebrity.  

• Like 1

I just called NCL to make a formal "complaint" and asked that it be documented and escalated. I wasn't rude but I was firm, bringing up everything in this thread. The representative said the more people who call, the better and that it has led to NCL making changes in decisions in the past. Not sure this will do anything but worth a shot.

In the meantime, I will not be rebooking anything.

Edited by Alegeeter
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Still steamed....just think of all those hotel reservations in Jamaica which have to be cancelled, the restaurant business and port traffic that will dry up for that area.  I have to get in touch with my airlines and beg them to, yet again, let me change my flights with no fees.  This is just a poor...POOR business decision on NCL's part.  There's really no silver lining (except maybe I get to try Celebrity, which I haven't been on in a decade) and nothing good that will come from this.

NCL should give cruisers on the cancelled Joy trips more than the usual 10%. I feel that since they were billed as the "Return to Sailing", they definitely should be allowed all the same perks in addition to a bigger discount.

It has been a long time since we have been on Celebrity, but we will travel them again sometime also. We still need to do an MSC cruse before our loyalty status matching with them expires. We enjoy the vibe on NCL, but are not opposed to branching out to other lines. I will still buy a cruise next on our future NCL trip, but definitely not multiples.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

I just called NCL to make a formal "complaint" and asked that it be documented and escalated. I wasn't rude but I was firm, bringing up everything in this thread. The representative said the more people who call, the better and that it has led to NCL making changes in decisions in the past. Not sure this will do anything but worth a shot.

Well done, good call, no pun intended.

I could absolutely see them making changes if enough people make their displeasure known.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I made my feelings known to my PCC. She can pass it up the chain if she thinks it will make a difference. After pricing things out, I *think* we are leaning towards the Sky, because the two weeks we were planning on doing our B2B, there are actually different itineraries on the Sky, which is appealing. Also, the travel is less daunting. We'll be able to use up all of our CruiseNext and FCC and the only thing we will lose is our recently purchased CruiseFirst. So we'll be out that $250, but then we can walk away and not look back. That's assuming the Sky actually sails, of course, which is a HUGE assumption at this point.

I’ve sailed on the sister ship to the Sky, the Sun. 

It’s nothing like the Joy but NCL does a marvelous job of getting as many venues in as possible. You actually have to walk through one specialty restaurant to get into another. 

The Sun was in great condition for being as old as she is, so I assume the Sky would be very similar. 

2 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

I was on one of those travel sites we're not allowed to mention and it seemed to show a LOT of capacity for my August Bliss sailing. (One of those sites that shows you more than the limited 5-15 rooms per category.)  Either the 'pent up demand' isn't manifesting yet, or ... NCL isn't advertising yet? No idea. 

I definitely believed in the 'pent up demand' hypothesis. Maybe it's just not going to happen this year. 

Flip side: I guess be on lookout for price drops ...

Hi, is there any way you can hint at the site that shows you MORE than 15 cabins? Is it in the UK? I found one in the UK that shows all inventory, but not for NCL. I read a long time ago that 15 was the max allowed to show from the USA but I think that is just cruise line policy and certainly no official rule. I'm thinking of jumping on the Bliss in Sept/October and am holding out until after final payment. This is shoulder season and I'm not sure pent up demand will be much of a factor. When are you sailing? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have sailed both lines..I like them both, for different reasons.  Kids/activities like slides, etc better on NCL Away Class.....service, like no issue for towels, better drink package, food, I prefer Celebrity.  

This ^^^

Celebrity and NCL have more in common than different. Overall I like Celebrity better because the service and food are higher quality on Celebrity, but we really miss O'Sheehans and the casual atmosphere on NCL w/the option for an included diner open 24 hour. The Brew House on NCL compares to Celebrity's Martini Bar. In fact, that maybe a good analogy to summarize the comparisons. NCL is a nice cold casual beer while Celebrity is a more delicate sipping martini. If prices were identical I'd choose Celebrity every time, but NCL prices tend to offer a better value. With over 30 cruises under my belt, I have zero brand loyalty.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I know...it's an insult.  I don't even WANT TO sail the GEM because of this!  This has nothing to do with COVID.  It had EVERYTHING to do with getting (and keeping) our fares.  Joy out of Montego Bay...I was so excited about the ship and sailing from there.

How NCL can do this with a straight face and claim they want the best for us is a joke!  

Agree, this is outrageous. Reporter might be interested in this. Also, dare I suggest, the FL Governor's office.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Seems time to write a nice letter to NCL's customer service department. Explain how much you love the cruise line and were excited to be part of its return to sailing, about the itinerary, ship, and port of embarkation. Even throw in how safe you felt knowing NCL was requiring 100% vaccinated crew and passengers. That you had made arrangements with other family members, time off from work, even booked hotel rooms and airfare all with the belief that your cruise was going to go off without a hitch.

And then mention that while you were disappointed with the recent news of the cancellation, you would love to continue sailing with NCL provided they could move you to a comparable cabin on a different ship for the same amount. I think it's at least worth trying.

I’m still waiting for a reply from 2006? 
Hence the gap in my timeline with other cruise companies 

But address it to the right person and you never know....go high

3 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

General comment for those on the Gem and Jade.

Reading between the lines...

NCL just said, if we can make more money with your ship or crew somewhere else, we will.

Add to that……regardless of what we promised all of you Joy passengers…….

21 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Hi, is there any way you can hint at the site that shows you MORE than 15 cabins? Is it in the UK? I found one in the UK that shows all inventory, but not for NCL. I read a long time ago that 15 was the max allowed to show from the USA but I think that is just cruise line policy and certainly no official rule. I'm thinking of jumping on the Bliss in Sept/October and am holding out until after final payment. This is shoulder season and I'm not sure pent up demand will be much of a factor. When are you sailing? 

I’m in U.K. and it only shows upto 15. I think Jamie mentioned some months ago about an online agency that shows how many cabins are booked, if you need me to look at any totals just give me ship and category I will look for you.