Covid Vaccine

Smitheroo

I've been reading through the forum and have seen older posts speculating that the covid vaccine will be required.  In the notification I received recently about my 1/3/2022 TA on the QM2 there is no mention of the vaccine being a requirement for embarkation.   "We are unable to accept guests who test positive for COVID-19 , are self isolating within 14 days of travel or require supplementary oxygen (except C-Pap).     I read this to mean that they will test each guest before allowing you to board?  No mention of vaccine.   There is a link  to the protocols everyone will have to follow on board which I assume means masks? 6 ft distancing? ??  I would think if a vaccine is a requirement it would be right up front.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 3:53 PM, Host Hattie said:

It's a requirement for the Summer cruises on Queen Elizabeth for the moment, not yet on any others.

But of course a lot can change between now and January.

Screenshot_20210526-205506-228.png

Have you seen (or heard of) any new news regarding current vaxx requirement on Cunard?

On 5/26/2021 at 8:53 PM, Host Hattie said:

It's a requirement for the Summer cruises on Queen Elizabeth for the moment, not yet on any others.

But of course a lot can change between now and January.

Screenshot_20210526-205506-228.png

If a 3rd updated booster against variants  is needed and they are being tested now apparently for possible September rollout won't that knock everything back by what x weeks or months? Some people have only had their first jab a few weeks ago 5 months into the rollout.

14 hours ago, ace2542 said:

If a 3rd updated booster against variants  is needed and they are being tested now apparently for possible September rollout won't that knock everything back by what x weeks or months? Some people have only had their first jab a few weeks ago 5 months into the rollout.

Many people havent' had their first jab - it depends on which country you live in 

7 hours ago, lissie said:

Many people havent' had their first jab - it depends on which country you live in 

But if a third is mooted about. Would all countries go three jabs or would those who have not had the first just get the first then the updated second?

28 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Booster is only  mooted  for most vunerable  , ie over 70s  +clinically vunerable administered with Flu jab. 

Boosting the rest whilst the world is waiting would be counter productive.

So the so called top 5 groups then. But still possibly a decent amount of Cunard customers. And probably all of Saga and Olsen perhaps? Could set those operations back by weeks.

43 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Booster is only  mooted  for most vunerable  , ie over 70s  +clinically vunerable administered with Flu jab. 

Boosting the rest whilst the world is waiting would be counter productive.

Well its not like there is single vaccine - which one are you talking about? In NZ we are using Phfizer and there has been no discussion of a 3rd jab yet 

41 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

So the so called top 5 groups then. But still possibly a decent amount of Cunard customers. And probably all of Saga and Olsen perhaps? Could set those operations back by weeks.

I'm a glass half full person. We have cruises booked and are looking forward to them up until the very moment they're cancelled.

There may very well be an annual booster in years to come but at the moment, no one knows  what will happen and there's enough negativity around without dwelling on 'what ifs' as far as future cruise plans are concerned. As has been said many times, speculation is a non productive activity.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm a glass half full person. We have cruises booked and are looking forward to them up until the very moment they're cancelled.

There may very well be an annual booster in years to come but at the moment, no one knows  what will happen and there's enough negativity around without dwelling on 'what ifs' as far as future cruise plans are concerned. As has been said many times, speculation is a non productive activity.

Hear, hear!

3 hours ago, lissie said:

Well its not like there is single vaccine - which one are you talking about? In NZ we are using Phfizer and there has been no discussion of a 3rd jab yet 

The thinking on boosters is a different one to the first lot 

All I have done is stated the policy on boosters, there is no indication that cruise companies will ask for people to have 3 jabs. I very very much doubt they will. As boosters are about protecting vunerable , not stopping transmission  , two doses does that perfectly well

10 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

All I have done is stated the policy on boosters, there is no indication that cruise companies will ask for people to have 3 jabs. I very very much doubt they will. As boosters are about protecting vunerable , not stopping transmission  , two doses does that perfectly well

But how many of Cunard's clientele are the so called vulnerable groups. I can see the argument for the 3 jabs for some lines at least. They won't want older people coming down with Covid on the ships. Unless cruise lines are prepared to mandate mask wearing forever - which I don't think people would go for - the third jab may be the only way to ensure protection of that vulnerable group which is sometimes the majority age group onboard.

However does going down that road not create the risk of for want of a better term perhaps a 9 or 10 month cruising season for some people at least in the short term?

Not a sailing comment, but I did read that Bruce Springsteen is going to have a concert on Broadway in September, and to go you must be vaxed with a Pfizer, Moderna or J&J, but if you have the Astra Zeneca you cannot get in. The Canadians who have AZ are not a happy bunch. This pandemic will have an afterlife of years. Lets hope sane people get in charge of things soon. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Not a sailing comment, but I did read that Bruce Springsteen is going to have a concert on Broadway in September, and to go you must be vaxed with a Pfizer, Moderna or J&J, but if you have the Astra Zeneca you cannot get in. The Canadians who have AZ are not a happy bunch. This pandemic will have an afterlife of years. Lets hope sane people get in charge of things soon. 

But the reason is that AZ has not yet been approved by FDA which it might be soon so then there would not be a problem with AZ fans attending its not a long term ban.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:57 PM, Bigmike911 said:

Although this is of no interest to me, there will no doubt be some people who will appreciate this news.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/springsteen-broadway-astrazeneca-1.6072682

Today’s email from Cunard, says all over 18 must be fully Vacinnated, and tested the day of depature at the dock by Cunard. Those under 18 need a PCR test 3 days before sailing if not vaccinated.

• Like 3