Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam Operations off coast

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0527World.thumb.png.ea1a3b3794d5dbb118e47190280b7c77.png

• Like 37
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Sun screen is very important, thanks for the reminder. 

Great quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  Hope the drink and wine are good.

Another port I have not visited.  Thanks in advance for the pictures I'm sure will be posted.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Have a great Thursday.  It's cooled off around here - today's high is forecast for 9C, quite a change from Tuesday's 31C.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning.  Thank you for the daily.

Prayers and comfort to those in need, congratulations to our vaccine makers - the scientists who just keep giving!

Peach salad sounds wonderful but we are taking the Alumni office rep to the Thai restaurant today.

Texas peaches don't arrive until June.  They are quite delicious but are rarely shipped more than 50 miles from the farm, they are just not plentiful.  Usually we drive out to the farm for ours.

• Like 21

Good morning all and thanks for the daily report.  It's sunscreen time again.  I love those player pianos, they make me happy.  Interesting quote and a good reminder to try and experience all that life has to offer.  The salad sounds good but fresh peaches aren’t available here yet.  I look forward to the pictures of today’s port as I haven’t been there.  Prayers to all in need and a toast to those celebrating events.

• Like 21

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday's rain made the garden plants so happy!  And, it made me happy to not have to go out and water them.  I'll echo the importance of sun screen.   Player pianos are fun and for the most part, there is nothing to fear.   The quote is spot on.

Today's meal is more of a side dish, but there is nothing better than a fresh, juicy peach.  

Here is one recipe that is super simple:   https://www.aspicyperspective.com/fresh-peach-basil-salad/

fresh-peach-and-basil-salad-7.thumb.jpg.5cb4dcddf713cb3ddece58b73aeca9d0.jpg

And, here is another:   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/fresh-peach-salad-7252226

1303575414_Freshpeachsalad2.jpeg.3e6c0b567a4403b793ba3666a3a78592.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Nothing to fear but fear itself is a good reminder to all of us.

8A7EF8C7-20E2-4D05-BEE3-C2F70AF82F0D.jpeg.c2a40e96dfd36c78308b6755f7297e07.jpeg

Love the quote by Wallace.  He certainly showed us how to live.

The meal suggestion sounds good but it’s too early for peaches here.  Perhaps we’ll have a seafood casserole tonight.

Another port that we should have visited last fall.  Oh well.

It’s raining unexpectedly but it’s a light rain so I will keep working away with as much as I can.  I should be cleaning my house but gardening is more important 😉

1711E828-3CB7-4342-8677-124CAE4D6F10.jpeg.483b69e48c89db42ae161334df86401b.jpeg

First -  I need to call Rotterdam to secure our hotel reservations for our friends and us for our cruise next year.  It’s a boutique hotel (big surprise) with few rooms so I wasn’t waiting for them to show up on the website.  😉 

Today’s Care List:

- Kakalina and prayers for possible surgery

- Welfare of furloughed crews

- Garlictown recovery from arm surgery

- StLouisCruisers’s DS in dire straits in the hospital and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation

- St. Louis Sal’s drug trial

- Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.

- NextOne’s DH and hopeful rehab

-  fight with Home Depot for missing patio door & window

- St. Louis Sal’s friend’s liver transplant friend  complication

- Cruising-along’s grandson’s broken arm at 1st family gathering

- Seasick Sailor’s friend, Ron who fell and now has stitches and hematomas

- smitty34877’s DD’s half sister Tana struggling as a long haul covid victim and in hospital with pneumonia & breathing issues

- Victims & family of the San Jose shooting & all shootings

- bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery.

Prayers for them all

Garden Club participants - for those of you who live in more northerly climates, keep your eye on the weather.  While everything should be safe here by now, we have a frost warning tonight!  I am sure we are not alone.

Prayers for everyone on the long Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

94BAA20A-DA1C-40FD-A502-30B948D7466C.thumb.jpeg.1563e75120eb64e5e626254585363276.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  A special salute to Sun Screen.  I love player pianos, and am reminded of the Roosevelt quote "Nothing to fear but fear itself".  The Wallace quote is thought provoking as well.  Been to a number of ports in Japan but not Fukoka.  Peach Salad sounds very nice.  My alternative is Chilled Indian Lassi Soup, Melange of Tropical Fruit, Oven Roasted Chicken with Rice, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam May 27,  2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Cease fire in Palestine

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Diego)

Progress on authorizing St.LouisCruiser DB catheterization

BC starting to reopen

Positive news from Kazu’s perio

Resilience of Ancient Wanderer’s DGD

HorizonChaser1957's new shawl

Nieuw Statendam scheduled for Port Everglades

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning all!

A quick check in today as I am off to visit the neurologist for a bright and early appointment. More tests (and maybe some blood work) because the drug trial is completely separate from my regular visits and they do not share all the results across the line ☹️.

Rain is in our forecast which we can use, but always keep the fingers crossed for no severe weather.

When I was growing up we used suntan lotion to help us get tan, little did we know. The old time player pianos are neat looking, the new style player pianos are all high tech. I try not to be fearful, but....

Haven’t been anywhere in Japan, bring on the pictures.

Yum, peaches. Best thing for us is to go to Eckerts Orchards, not far from me, and pick them right off the tree (no charge for the ones you eat while picking).

Be back later, have a great day.

St Louis Sal

• Like 31

Good Thursday morning.  Love the combination of days.  The quote is so true.  The meal sounds refreshing. Thank you for the photo's of it Debbie. Looking forward to the photo's of the port of the day. Prayers for our Care list.  So many to add to the prayer list.  A big woohoo to our Celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.  We all want to meet on a BHB!

Boozy S'more milkshake:

Yields: 2 servings

Ingredients

8 large scoops (about 2 1/2 c.) chocolate ice cream
1/4 c. Baileys
2 oz. vanilla vodka
1/2 c. marshmallow fluff
Crushed graham crackers, for rimming
Marshmallow bits, for rimming
Chocolate fudge, for rimming
Whipped cream, for garnish
Chocolate squares, for garnish
Graham cracker squares, for garnish
Directions

In a blender, blend together ice cream, Baileys, vanilla vodka, and marshmallow fluff.
Combine crushed graham crackers and marshmallow bits on a small plate. Rim 2 glasses with chocolate fudge and dip into graham crackers and marshmallows.
Pour milkshake into glasses and top each shake with whipped cream, a chocolate square, and a graham cracker square.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 7.25.25 AM.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Best thing for us is to go to Eckerts Orchards, not far from me, and pick them right off the tree (no charge for the ones you eat while picking).

If/when you go, enjoy one for me. Enjoyed going there from Springfield, IL

• Like 15

Here's a slight;y different recipe @summer slope provided on December 30, 2020

Boozy S’mores Shake

3 cups Kemps Simply Crafted Chocolate Ice Cream
2 oz. chocolate liqueur
2 oz. crème de cacao
4 marshmallows, toasted, plus more for garnish
Milk, optional
Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
1 graham cracker, crumbled, plus more for garnish
Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar for garnish

Place milkshake glasses into freezer to chill.
Combine ice cream, chocolate liqueur, crème de cacao and toasted marshmallows in a blender and blend until mixed. Add milk and thin to desired consistency.

Pour chocolate syrup onto a plate. Place graham cracker crumbs on another plate. Dip the glass rim into the chocolate syrup and then dip into the graham cracker crumbs.

Drizzle inside of glasses with chocolate syrup. Pour in milkshake and garnish with toasted marshmallow, additional graham cracker and chocolate.

• Like 19

Morning everyone.  I'm getting ready to go to the airport today for that flight to St. Louis.  According to the weather forecast the rains should start when my plane touches down there, so maybe I should take an umbrella along with me.  I don't think I ever went to Eckerts Orchards but I know people who go there all the time.  Should be quite a while before the peaches are ripe though.  And of course I live in the peach state so surely there's an orchard near me I can go to this summer.

I have not been to Fukuota so that makes 5 days in a row without a hit!  Bring on the photos.

Thanks to everyone for their support during these difficult times.  I send my prayers to those on the lengthy Care List and my gratefulness to everyone who has happy news on the Celebration List.  Kudos to Rich, Roy and Jacqui for their assistance in making this the best thread on Cruise Critic.

• Like 32

Good Morning. Looks like another beautiful day here but we really need some rain. I love the quote - it is so true. So many condem themselves to a life of mediocrity because of their fears - fear of trying new foods, fear of straying too far from home, fear of a new job, etc, etc.

The drink of the day sounds delicious - a nice liquid desert.

• Like 20

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s a beautiful sunny sunny day here, supposed to be cooler than yesterday and rainy tomorrow. 
      The peach salad sounds delicious., not sure what dinner is tonight.

I think today is going to be spent taking the plants to the cemetery. 
     Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 18

Good  morning and  thanks  to  Rich  for  the  Daily. @kazu, my  family  and  I  appreciate  our  Tana  being  added  to the  list. She  had  a  rough  night  and  remains  on  O2  but  did  speak  to  us  briefly  on  the  phone  this  morning.  Also, I  am  happy  that  your  dental  procedures  will  go  ahead  on  Tuesday.  The  whole  thing  sounds  like  such  an  ordeal  and I  am  sure  you  want  to  reach the  end  of  it.

@StLouisCruisers, I  will  be  thinking  of  you  and  your  family today   and  in  the  days  to  come. Please  take  care  of  yourself  as  well. @bennybear, so  sorry  to  hear  about  your  SIL. I  hope  she  can start  treatment soon.

Sunscreen   and  I  are  very  good  friends. I  never  tanned,only burned as  I  was  once  a  red  head. My DGS shares  my  skin  tone  and  gets  very  frustrated  by  having  to  cover  up  all  the  time  while  his  twin  sister has  a  little  more  latitude regarding  sun.  I  would  love  the  recipe  today  but  local  peaches  don't  arrive  here  until  at  least  June.  We  have  not  been  to  Japan  but  would  love  to  see  pictures.

Jacqui, although  I  am  only  a  Garden  Club  cheerleader  I  will  heed  the  warnings  about  watching  the  weather. It  is  appreciated. Last  night  we  had  a  real  boomer  of  a  thunderstorm  and  some  folks  even  had  hail.       

Terry

• Like 28

Good morning everyone. I’ve been up since 4:30am when I woke and couldn’t get back to sleep. I have a book club meeting in 2 hours, and then it’s back to sleep I hope.

Sun screen is so important. Unfortunately, the skin cancers we get now are the result of not using it years ago. 

So many on our prayer list today. Praying that all of them get back to good health.

Stay safe.

Carol

• Like 23

Rich:

Thank you for the DAILY Fleet Report.  I hope someone puts up the Port Everglades and Ft. Lauderdale

camera links so we can all behold the Nieuw Statendam as she appears in Fort Lauderdale.  In reading the thread I see there are many in need of prayer.  I will include them in my prayers. My best to all poster and readers of this thread.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Nothing to fear but fear itself is a good reminder to all of us.

8A7EF8C7-20E2-4D05-BEE3-C2F70AF82F0D.jpeg.c2a40e96dfd36c78308b6755f7297e07.jpeg

Love the quote by Wallace.  He certainly showed us how to live.

The meal suggestion sounds good but it’s too early for peaches here.  Perhaps we’ll have a seafood casserole tonight.

Another port that we should have visited last fall.  Oh well.

It’s raining unexpectedly but it’s a light rain so I will keep working away with as much as I can.  I should be cleaning my house but gardening is more important 😉

1711E828-3CB7-4342-8677-124CAE4D6F10.jpeg.483b69e48c89db42ae161334df86401b.jpeg

First -  I need to call Rotterdam to secure our hotel reservations for our friends and us for our cruise next year.  It’s a boutique hotel (big surprise) with few rooms so I wasn’t waiting for them to show up on the website.  😉 

Today’s Care List:

- Kakalina and prayers for possible surgery

- Welfare of furloughed crews

- Garlictown recovery from arm surgery

- StLouisCruisers’s DS in dire straits in the hospital and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation

- St. Louis Sal’s drug trial

- Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.

- NextOne’s DH and hopeful rehab

-  fight with Home Depot for missing patio door & window

- St. Louis Sal’s friend’s liver transplant friend  complication

- Cruising-along’s grandson’s broken arm at 1st family gathering

- Seasick Sailor’s friend, Ron who fell and now has stitches and hematomas

- smitty34877’s DD’s half sister Tana struggling as a long haul covid victim and in hospital with pneumonia & breathing issues

- Victims & family of the San Jose shooting & all shootings

- bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery.

Prayers for them all

Garden Club participants - for those of you who live in more northerly climates, keep your eye on the weather.  While everything should be safe here by now, we have a frost warning tonight!  I am sure we are not alone.

Prayers for everyone on the long Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

94BAA20A-DA1C-40FD-A502-30B948D7466C.thumb.jpeg.1563e75120eb64e5e626254585363276.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Jacqui:

Thanks for the prayer list.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  A special salute to Sun Screen.  I love player pianos, and am reminded of the Roosevelt quote "Nothing to fear but fear itself".  The Wallace quote is thought provoking as well.  Been to a number of ports in Japan but not Fukoka.  Peach Salad sounds very nice.  My alternative is Chilled Indian Lassi Soup, Melange of Tropical Fruit, Oven Roasted Chicken with Rice, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam May 27,  2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Cease fire in Palestine

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Diego)

Progress on authorizing St.LouisCruiser DB catheterization

BC starting to reopen

Positive news from Kazu’s perio

Resilience of Ancient Wanderer’s DGD

HorizonChaser1957's new shawl

Nieuw Statendam scheduled for Port Everglades

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, hope you are doing well.  Thanks for the Shout Out List.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Here's a slight;y different recipe @summer slope provided on December 30, 2020

Boozy S’mores Shake

3 cups Kemps Simply Crafted Chocolate Ice Cream
2 oz. chocolate liqueur
2 oz. crème de cacao
4 marshmallows, toasted, plus more for garnish
Milk, optional
Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
1 graham cracker, crumbled, plus more for garnish
Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar for garnish

Place milkshake glasses into freezer to chill.
Combine ice cream, chocolate liqueur, crème de cacao and toasted marshmallows in a blender and blend until mixed. Add milk and thin to desired consistency.

Pour chocolate syrup onto a plate. Place graham cracker crumbs on another plate. Dip the glass rim into the chocolate syrup and then dip into the graham cracker crumbs.

Drizzle inside of glasses with chocolate syrup. Pour in milkshake and garnish with toasted marshmallow, additional graham cracker and chocolate.

Sounds good but too sweet for a diabetic.  Have to take a rain check.

• Like 4

Thank you for creating the Daily, Rich! This magical place where people, many who have never met in person, gather to share, support, laugh, cry and celebrate the human spirit. A virtual family. That is what I choose to celebrate today. I wish I could take away everyone’s pain: emotional, psychological and physical. But I can’t. So everyone know that today I celebrate us. Thank you for being here. 

Praying for all who need our support. Celebrating all the wonderful things happening. Stay well all.

This vintner makes an excellent Pinot Noir. The info below focuses on the 2017 vintage from Russian River, but all vintages share the same excellent ratings - whether from Russian River or Sonoma. I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $24.97.

Winemaker Notes

The 2017 growing season started out wet with record-breaking rainfall after several dry years. A mild spring led to a timely bud break and good fruit set, followed by ideal conditions of cool mornings and warm, sunny days throughout the summer months. A few days of intense heat at the beginning of September sped up ripening throughout the region. Well-timed picks meant the majority of the fruit was in by the first week of October. Beautiful color, well-defined aromatics, and outstanding flavor are all evident in this year’s vintage.
The fruit for this Pinot Noir is sourced from sustainable vineyards found throughout the Russian River Valley AVA. Dense redwood forests trap heat during the day and channel cool sea breezes off the Pacific Coast in the evenings. This temperature fluctuation strengthens the skins and helps set optimum sugar levels. 
The grapes are carefully hand-sorted and destemmed as whole berries after harvesting. The fruit is then collected into open-top fermentors allowing the skins to impart color and tannin to the naturally free-run juice. Small bladder punch-downs are applied 2-3 times daily for a total of 21 days with skins intact. Some natural malolactic fermentation does take place during the barrel aging process. Ripe, bright and playful, this Pinot Noir showcases the boisterous charisma of the Russian River Valley’s unique climate and terroir. Candied apple notes pop from the glass as a vibrant expression of tart Bing cherry, Marcona almond and savory pie spice round out the middle. A lively acidity enhances the intensity of the fruit while still maintaining a delicate mouthfeel and elegant finish.
TP93 wine.com Tasting Panel:  Aged in French oak, this certified-sustainable wine from Sonoma County’s coolest vineyard sites is lit from within. Tart cherry pops on the palate, introducing a sassy character that’s punctuated by nutmeg and cinnamon. Dried blue flowers combine with orange peel on the unique finish.
  • Like 31