The Daily for Thursday May 27, 2021

richwmn

53 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

I agree fully  Captain Turner was always seen going around the ship , chatted with  the guests if he was approached and noticed almost everything if something was  just not right  and had it corrected .  We have had the pleasure of being on 4 cruises with him on 4 different ships and besides a couple of dinners had some nice chats . When in port and if he had a chance he used to love going for a long run. . 

Haha!  Tony, I accused him of having a clone on board, he seemed to be everywhere at once....

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Some gardening stuff accomplished: raised bed built, filled and planted. Building is the most difficult part, since I have little spatial intelligence, but filling is harder work, because it entails schlepping bag after bag of planting mix from the garage to the site. The bed is in part sun and is planted with Dicentra spectabilis (bleeding heart), Campanula persicifolia (peach-leafed bellflower), and Ligularia 'Britt-Marie Crawford.'

Added plants to a new pseudo-woodland garden in a spot with somewhat less sun: Delphinium exaltatum, Actaea rubra and pachypoda (red and white baneberry), Polygonatum biflorum (Solomon's seal). These are all native to the region, as is Mertensia virginica (Virginia bluebell), already planted. As predicted, it immediately went dormant. There also Primula 'Supernova,' which is not even native to this continent. What all of these have in common, in addition to growing in more shade than sun, is that Bambi and Peter Cottontail usually don't eat them.

And I harvested some of my second edible crop of the season (asparagus was first).

1379906595_RadishesFB.jpg.8176534edd7068b303b74b44bc93e480.jpg

Wow!  Good for you - you got a lot done today 👍 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Captain Christopher Turner was not a very happy man with what had happened in Shanghai with the authorities and the pilots …….

I sailed twice with Captain Turner.  First time was on the Zaandam (Buenos Aires to San Diego) in 2017.  At the Captain's Q&A he was asked where he would choose to go for his final contracts before retirement and he said Volendam because he had never sailed in Asia.  The other was on the Volendam on probably his last contract and I asked him if he was on that fateful voyage.  He was quite quick to say it was still a painful memory.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Haha!  Tony, I accused him of having a clone on board, he seemed to be everywhere at once....

Yes you are right Ann , than to know , from what I was told that he never used the elevators  he went all over the ship only using the stairs , he was in great shape and mentioned that in his retirement he was going to make long long walks like in the Austrian Alps , in Scotland or in Spain the Santiago de Compostela  ( The Way of Saint James ) 

Once on the Zuiderdam in Split , Croatia I believe it was we had to walk off a very long pier and who came running by in shorts and running shoes and at good speed , you guessed it Captain Chris .

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Update re Kakalena

She has discussed her situation with all of the medical providers who have agreed that having surgery would not change her life expectancy significantly.  Treatment could cause her breathing to downgrade to the point where she would not consider her life worth living. She has decided to go on pallative care only.

Jane

• Like 6
  • Thanks 13

Somehow the day got away from me. I only just read all the postings. Started off ok, two loads of laundry hung outside, a bike ride of 15 km, coffee with close friends in the pm. But underneath all that was getting our DD and DGD set up to use our wifi to work and school from home. Their power went out unexpectedly and once it came back in the afternoon the modem didn’t work. So DSIL had to deal with that! 

i found out today that I can go on a second dose waitlist (Ontario) because I had my first dose before March 31 and I am over 70. So I will try to snag an appointment on the health department website in the morning. I have a date of July 19 for a second dose but would prefer to get it sooner.

we have cooled down substantially and will have rain tomorrow and Sunday. A good chance  to do some work inside. Prayers to all who need them and will hoist a glass of wine for the celebration list. This truly is a great thread to be part of.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

Update re Kakalena

She has discussed her situation with all of the medical providers who have agreed that having surgery would not change her life expectancy significantly.  Treatment could cause her breathing to downgrade to the point where she would not consider her life worth living. She has decided to go on pallative care only.

Jane

Thank you for the update on Kakalina; she will be in my daily prayers for comfort and many peaceful and pain free days ahead. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good evening, everyone.

It has been a chilly day here.   The AC is off and the furnace is back on.   

An interesting development occurred today regarding the cruise we have booked for September.  We are booked on a 14 day Best of Norway on the Rotterdam.  Final payment and beginning of the penalty phase was originally scheduled for June 14th.    Final payment was pushed back to July 14th, but the penalty phase stayed at June 14th.   I had emailed my PCC with some questions about the cruise, when we might know if it was a go, etc.  She let me know that the penalty phase has also been pushed back to July 14th, so we are good to try and wait out HAL on decision making.

@Dismomx5 Congratulations on the new grand baby!   Babies always bring such warmth to a home.  

@cat shepard You expressed such a wonderful sentiment in your statement today.    Thank you!

@bennybear I am sorry about your SIL's cancer diagnosis.  I hope they will be able to find a treatment that will be effective.   Prayers.

@St. Louis Sal Great pulmonary report.   You can go far with that!

@Horizon chaser 1957 Your work is so beautiful.   Anyone would be thrilled to receive one of your scarves or shawls as a gift.  

@kazu I'm glad the periodontist report was a good one.

I'm sorry to read about Kakalina.   I hope the care she gets brings her comfort and peace.   It sounds like the doctors were upfront and honest with her, allowing her to make the best decision possible.  

• Like 17

2 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Update re Kakalena

Jane

I’m sorry Jane, but I couldn’t like your post.  This is so sad but I totally understand her decision.  God be with her and keep her as pain free as possible.  this is such sad news.  My prayers are with her 🙏🏻 

• Like 10

Good evening, I’ve just now caught up all the news since late this morning.  It turned out to be a longer day than expected.

Before I started washing and waxing the cars, I decided to finish washing the house except part of the rv port as we did not want to move the rv just now.  Our siding is a textured vinyl that catches the dirt, but spray on/rinse off house cleaner did the trick.

I did get the cars done, but by the time I finished I didn’t feel like cooking, so we drove through Mickey Ds and also got a few things at the grocery store.  

They had some good looking peaches at the store.  I started to get some, but they were rock hard.  Maybe in a week or two.

I enjoyed the pictures of Japan and the ones of plants and flowers.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13

Thanks to Rich for the daily and to Roy and Jacqui for the lists. Enjoyed seeing the photos.

So sorry to read about Kakalena, always enjoyed her posts.

@cunnorl splendid  tribute to your brother.

@Dismomx5 congratulations on the safe early arrival of your new grand daughter.

People who have flown back to NZ from Melbourne have to isolate for a fortnight,and have a negative Covid test .  Flights are postponed for a week. 

The Australian Prime Minister is supposed  to be visiting Queenstown this weekend to meet with our PM. 

A wet day, rain forcast for the next few days. We had messages to do in town this morning, then had lunch before returning home.

Take care everyone.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 14

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

image.jpeg.341df19e2cf09d02a3f811ce7a399626.jpeg
Beautiful picture! I love this one!

@kochleffel Thank you

WELCOME TO THE GARDEN CLUB!

Jacqui gives such good advice and I enjoyed reading yours! I am
not a gardener, but enjoy reading THE DAILYITES GARDENING TIPS and love painting when I am not busy! 

DENISE😊

• Like 8

19 hours ago, bobpatj said:

Thanks to ALL for the Daily!  I may not post every day, but always find to to read every word.

You plucked the words right out of my brain! I make the time to read some beautiful writing that is filled with compassion, humor and comradeship. The photos transport me to hopes for the future or resurrect fond memories. The food and drink suggestions are so helpful in trying to come up with some 'new' ideas for meals. Thank you all Dailyites!!

• Like 7