No Planetarium on Venus

Clay Clayton

Just now, Clay Clayton said:

Maybe this is old news and I just missed it, but a traveler aboard Venus on the round Britain cruise has confirmed there is no Planetarium. 

And somebody posted pictures of the upper level of Explorer’s lounge with nary a planetarium in sight. Just wondering if during warm layup they took the Planetariums out on Orion and Jupiter.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 1:47 PM, Clay Clayton said:

there is no Planetarium. 

I was most disappointed to find out that there isn't one. Would add something different. I mean, there are more than enough lounges already.  

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I was most disappointed to find out that there isn't one. Would add something different. I mean, there are more than enough lounges already.  

Seriously.  You won't miss it.  I understand the curiosity but after about 5 minutes I guarantee you would say, ok, that wasn't worth the trade off.  Trust me.

Also - the 8th floor Explorer's is not just another lounge.  It is quite special for those of us who discovered it - nice, quiet, not hectic, and a perfect place to read, sip a latte, and gaze out front to the se on ocean days.  We used to spend hours there in the mornings on sea days.  So peaceful and pleasant. Much different than the 7th floor Explorer's Lounge.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

So peaceful and pleasant.

LOL...yep..it was.....until things started crashing to the floor during my one and only Viking cruise!!!  All those glass display cases and fancy ship models bit the dust (more like turned into dust..)!!  Unfortunately, I'm betting I'll never step into that Explorer's lounge...either level...and not think of people sliding from one end to the other and the piano coming unattached from the floor, and hearing the sound of glass crashing all over the place. Be interesting to see how we react the next time onboard a Viking ocean ship. Thus far we have no Viking cruises booked till  '23. I think maybe I'll keep it that way unless Tor comes up with something for the Sky guests. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

12 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL...yep..it was.....until things started crashing to the floor during my one and only Viking cruise!!!  All those glass display cases and fancy ship models bit the dust (more like turned into dust..)!!  Unfortunately, I'm betting I'll never step into that Explorer's lounge...either level...and not think of people sliding from one end to the other and the piano coming unattached from the floor, and hearing the sound of glass crashing all over the place. Be interesting to see how we react the next time onboard a Viking ocean ship. Thus far we have no Viking cruises booked till  '23. I think maybe I'll keep it that way unless Tor comes up with something for the Sky guests. 

On THAT trip a planetarium might have vanished overboard.....😱

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

On THAT trip a planetarium might have vanished overboard.

LOL....you're good. Always enjoy your thoughts!!!  Absolutely agree...right with the piano which theoretically could have made its way right through the front windows. Now THAT would have made a cool youtube. Best was the ship guitarist playing "My Heart will go on" during lunch that Saturday afternoon. I mean, really dude????  

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was on-line chatting with a Viking rep today and when I asked about the Planetarium on the Jupiter, this was his reply: for the Viking Jupiter and Viking Orion there are multiple showings in the Explorer Dome(Planetarium), and the schedule depends on the specific voyage. Currently we do not take reservations in advance, guests should visit the Explorers Desk once on board the ship or use the Viking Voyager app. The Venue is on deck 8 and can seat 26 guests.

2 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

I was on-line chatting with a Viking rep today and when I asked about the Planetarium on the Jupiter, this was his reply: for the Viking Jupiter and Viking Orion there are multiple showings in the Explorer Dome(Planetarium), and the schedule depends on the specific voyage. Currently we do not take reservations in advance, guests should visit the Explorers Desk once on board the ship or use the Viking Voyager app. The Venue is on deck 8 and can seat 26 guests.

Sounds like a canned Viking response.  I would not trust this at all.

Hopefully we can get an on the ship verification from those on the first Bermuda cruise!

On 5/29/2021 at 8:41 AM, CCWineLover said:

Seriously.  You won't miss it.  I understand the curiosity but after about 5 minutes I guarantee you would say, ok, that wasn't worth the trade off.  Trust me.

Also - the 8th floor Explorer's is not just another lounge.  It is quite special for those of us who discovered it - nice, quiet, not hectic, and a perfect place to read, sip a latte, and gaze out front to the se on ocean days.  We used to spend hours there in the mornings on sea days.  So peaceful and pleasant. Much different than the 7th floor Explorer's Lounge.

Absolutely my favorite space onboard during sea days! As for all the shattered glass aboard Viking Sky, I saw nary a scratch anywhere. Both my sailings were after the Norway incident. To me the Planetarium concept seems gimmicky. We'll see how it goes on Viking Orion. All the commotion of people up & down the stairs, waiting for doors to open, entering, & leaving the Planetarium is disruptive to the Zen haven on deck 8.

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

And it wasn’t really a planetarium at all - it was a very awkward curved movie screen that generated neck work for chiropractors!

They can show the same movies on the cabin TV’s.

Exactly. It was a waste of valuable space. Sorry that they didn't remove it during down time.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

Exactly. It was a waste of valuable space. Sorry that they didn't remove it during down time.

Hi Dobie - good to see you back posting!   I totally agree.  The Planetarium is a total waste!  Too bad we have to see it again on Orion.   Appears that it was a bust as they stopped doing these monstrosities after Jupiter and Orion, thank goodness!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, deec said:

I wonder how expensive it would be to remove them....lost opportunity during the shut down!...but maybe workers were hard to find for interior work.

Hi Dee - yes, possibly.  I think Andy (Heidi13) in some posts mentioned that it might require more difficult specialty work and time, that yes, might be hard to find these days!