Farewell Captain Stubing

CineGraphic

42 minutes ago, bandgbasset said:

We were also on the 50th anniversary cruise in 2015.  At one point, Gavin got on the  speaker and said “this is your captain speaking.”  One of the best cruises we’ve ever taken.

Same here, it was a wonderful cruise. RIP Gavin

47 minutes ago, bandgbasset said:

We were also on the 50th anniversary cruise in 2015.  At one point, Gavin got on the  speaker and said “this is your captain speaking.”  One of the best cruises we’ve ever taken.

As an 80's kid, just wow. That is so cool.

Fair winds and following seas Gavin. Thank you sir. 

As broke newlyweds in the late 70s, we would order a pizza on Saturday nights and watch The Love Boat while dreaming of traveling the world with Captain Stubing.  Well, lots of years and 35 countries later, we've fulfilled a lot of our dreams including sailing on the original Pacific Princess.

Many thanks to Gavin McLeod, The Love Boat and Princess for inspiring a lifetime of travel!  My husband and I still sing the Love Boat theme to each other as we board any cruise ship...it's always EXCITING AND NEW! 

RIP Captain.

• Like 2

So sorry to learn of the passing of beloved actor, Gavin MacLeod, who played Captain Stubing and "Murray", as well as many other characters. Like so many of you, especially enjoyed watching him on The Love Boat and Mary Tyler Moore shows.  Such a perfect ambassador for Princess Cruises.  

He will certainly be missed.  Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Edited by Cruzinnana47

In the early 1950s he adopted his stage name in remembrance of Beatrice MacLeod, his drama teacher at Ithaca. He chose the first name Gavin after a character in an episode of the anthology television series “Climax.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of folks have already expressed my sentiments.  I can only add that whenever we cruised on Princess we would always make time to watch an episode or two of "The Love Boat" in our cabin; it just seemed a lot more fun watching it on the ship.  We also thoroughly enjoyed the "Love Boat Disco Dance Party" they would have each cruise on the Lido Deck, weather permitting.  It was a bit corny and over-the-top, but we had a blast with it doing "The Isaac".  Even our daughter, who would normally roll her eyes at these antics had a great time!

RIP  The Love Boat I'm sure was the true start for many to see the value and joy in cruising.  It's been a while for us.  Not since 2013 have we cruised.  We love cruising and hope to be able to do so in the future.  

Just an opinion, but I feel like The Love Boat opened up the idea of cruising to a lot of people who'd never considered a cruise vacation before.

It was a credit to Mr. MacLeod's acting skills that he could play such different characters as Captain Stubing and Murray from MTM.

I look forward to the day I can share drinks with umbrellas in them with Mr. MacLeod and the Great Love Boat in the sky.

Well done, a rest well earned.

Sad to think both him and the ship are gone now.

Pacific Princess: 1975 - 2002, scrapped: 2013

Captain Stubing: 1977 - 1986, Died: 2021

The photos show the ship then and then at scrap yard, and Captain Stubing then and now

pacific_princess_by_wildelf34_de0lugy-pre.jpg

Ktoca-1503950048-embed-love_boat_pacific_princess_listing.jpg

16223787997455.jpg

gettyimages-1166941728.jpg

• Like 1

Here’s a great tribute to our Captain Stubing by Princess…..

I was lucky to be able to be on the 50th Anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess with all of the Love Boat cast. Something I’ll never forget. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2338295aa3bf55d07c162fa8f4aec56f.jpeg

This is from the 50th Anniversary cruise where they were all interview & answered questions from the audience that’s also on the Princess tribute. I value my tee shirt that is signed by all of the cast which I take & wear to the Meet & Greets that I host. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton
  • Thanks 1