Royal Caribbean’s “Tracelet” being used for cruises

39 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Agreed.  People who think this is a great idea will feel differently if they are imprisoned in their room because they may have been somewhere near someone who had a positive covid test.  

Or the whole ship goes on quarantine because they can’t contact trace at all.

Singapore did contact tracing and they’ve been cruising for awhile now. 

Unless cruisers are paying in cash throughout the ship, they already know a ton about cruisers habits. They know how long you’re off ship, which RC excursions you’ve gone on, the beverages you drink, whether you buy arcade credits for your kids, which extra snacks/meals you’re willing to pay for.

And if you use the RC app, even more info. 

47 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Agreed.  People who think this is a great idea will feel differently if they are imprisoned in their room because they may have been somewhere near someone who had a positive covid test.  

Better that than everybody on the ship be confined. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Welcome to post Covid cruising.  We have to wear it or stay home.  PERIOD

Hopefully Rcl cruises out of various places with fully vaccinated passengers wont have to wear this.

Remember the sailings on Quantum are not required to be vaccinated and Singapore may have required tracing as part of their agreement.

Guess we will find out in a couple weeks when Adventure starts sailing out of bahamas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

I figure if they want to know where I am at all times they can just use the cameras and security without a need for a tracelet, so I am not giving up any freedoms by wearing a tracelet as they can track me anytime, anywhere, without a tracelet

Not easily though. The tracelet is registered to you. It will be like Person of Interest meets Silver as I have said all along. They can't track you like that on Cameras. They can't pick you out of a crowd. I don't think cameras are that good.

2 minutes ago, caitlynambrai said:

Or the whole ship goes on quarantine because they can’t contact trace at all.

Singapore did contact tracing and they’ve been cruising for awhile now. 

Unless cruisers are paying in cash throughout the ship, they already know a ton about cruisers habits. They know how long you’re off ship, which RC excursions you’ve gone on, the beverages you drink, whether you buy arcade credits for your kids, which extra snacks/meals you’re willing to pay for.

And if you use the RC app, even more info. 

They don't know when you are in the public bathroom though do they?

Dear passenger,

My name is Chad McChad and I’m the director of the onboard spa and fitness center for this ship. We noticed that you went back for seconds at the buffet last night. And thirds and fourths. So glad to see you are enjoying the food. But I do want to take this opportunity to invite you personally down to the gym for a workout 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Sorry, I think the “tracelet” is the least of anyone’s worries with a July USA embarkation 

This just makes me more more concerned about getting on a ship as we still don't know what the response will be to a contact.... oh sorry, you were on an elevator with someone who is not feeling well so you are confined to your cabin.🙄

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Nope. Our phones are turned off and in the safe the entire cruise.

However, in the future with the Cruise Compass, and other services, moving to the RCI app more people that didn't used to carry their phones may have more reason to do so.

3 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Such 1st world problems having to wear a tracker!! Oh no its such an infringment on my life......people need to get a grip. If you dont like the rules for cruising then dont go.

Your tracked by your phone and credit cards when you pay for something. Or what ever you look at online for c***st sake. 

You entirely miss the larger point. The issue is that you do not know the ramifications of being identified as been in the same space as a contact. You passed someone in a passageway, you were on an elevator with someone, the person on a lounger next to you in the solarium, the person next to you in the Schooner bar. Now you are confined to your cabin no matter that you feel perfectly fine.

Now, do you get the concern with this" first world" problem?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So have you all seen,hot off the presses,the new job on RCCL.REALLY ,REALLY sounds horrible!They are hiring moniters for the ships to make sure passengers are masked and 3.5(6 meters )apart.As Yogi Berra used to say,"you could look it up"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

In my opinion, if this tracelet assists with contact tracing and helps the cruise lines with their path toward restarting cruise operations, then I'll all for it.  I figure if they want to know where I am at all times they can just use the cameras and security without a need for a tracelet, so I am not giving up any freedoms by wearing a tracelet as they can track me anytime, anywhere, without a tracelet, if they so choose.   

My hope is that this is a temporary measure while we are in restart mode and eventually will not be needed or required going forward.  🤞 I agree it is a bit awkward looking -- especially on formal night -- LOL 🤣

A vaccination requirement would be more effective in restarting operations.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

This just makes me more more concerned about getting on a ship as we still don't know what the response will be to a contact.... oh sorry, you were on an elevator with someone who is not feeling well so you are confined to your cabin.🙄

I agree - as a fully vaccinated person I'm not overly concerned about being exposed to someone who might have covid or even does have covid, but I certainly don't want to be quarantined on a ship because of that.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You passed someone in a passageway, you were on an elevator with someone, the person on a lounger next to you in the solarium, the person next to you in the Schooner bar. Now you are confined to your cabin no matter that you feel perfectly fine.

We can all imagine scenarios to be afraid of. But for every negative scenario, we can imagine good ones. In particular, if you imagine looking people in their rooms who were near a sock person, you can imagine they would lock *everyone* in their rooms if their are no proximity monitors, but with the monitor most people prove they weren’t near the sick person and can go about their business. See how awesome they are?

We can’t be afraid of technology because it might possibly be misused. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Marygracie C. said:

So have you all seen,hot off the presses,the new job on RCCL.REALLY ,REALLY sounds horrible!They are hiring moniters for the ships to make sure passengers are masked and 3.5(6 meters )apart.As Yogi Berra used to say,"you could look it up"

If these monitors are new employees working on a contract in that job title then it could be like this on Royal ships for a log time. If they are just current staff who have been assigned to the role it doesn't mean too much those roles can be reassigned in a day.

2 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

We can all imagine scenarios to be afraid of. But for every negative scenario, we can imagine good ones. In particular, if you imagine looking people in their rooms who were near a sock person, you can imagine they would lock *everyone* in their rooms if their are no proximity monitors, but with the monitor most people prove they weren’t near the sick person and can go about their business. See how awesome they are?

How would they know if you weren't wearing it? If you said you had it in your pocket but didn't you actually left in your cabin?

1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

And they can simply require everyone to be vaccinated and the whole issue, and the what if's, go away. Modern medicine.... there is your technology.... but I might be biased.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

This is Big Brother watching your every move.  We absolutely will not cruise now as this is in place.  I truly miss cruising pre-Covid.  Had nothing to worry about other than did I pack enough LOL.  It’s all changing, the world is changing and now we have to face the new normal and I don’t like it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

How would they know if you weren't wearing it? If you said you had it in your pocket but didn't you actually left in your cabin?

I suspect the rule will be you must wear it visibly (just guessing and I could be wrong as I am about a lot of stuff.) I understand people may find that creepy. Hopefully it’s just temporary. I expect things to be super duper strict at first, then gradually relaxed if things go well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Listen I think I have finally figured this out!People who want to cruise no matter what will and those of us who are not good with being "monitered"won't.Silly to argue but I hope not to see many of you on evening news when you either get Covid from unvaxed or go nuts from being treated like "Ned in the third grade"Imagine paying big monies to be watched while on vacation.

56 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Absolutely agree. 

There are still WAY too many unknown variables for me to open my checkbook. 

Will I be contained to my room if my tracer says I was too close to someone for too long, and they report to the Dr with a cough??

6 hours ago, Brucemcdou said:

They've been using these on cruises the past year so they have it down.  My understanding is that if you can't/don't want to wear it on your wrist, they can pin it to your clothes or something else.  Sort of like the original fitbits.  Similar technology has also been used in Singapore which has allowed them to do very efficient and targeted contact tracing so they've avoided huge lockdowns.  

Personally glad to see this, will vastly simplify contact tracing and minimize the number of passengers who need to be quarantined if there's any infections during a cruise.  

[On edit] I wonder if they're only doing this on the cruises that don't require 95% vaccination?  that would make sense - no need for them if everyone is vaccinated but very much a need if not everyone is?

Can you also use it as a room key and to charge to your account for onboard purchases?  That would be neat, kind of like magicbands at Disney World.  

33 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

When said technology can cost me tens of thousands of dollars for no good reason, then yeah, I am out. 
Your rosy day scenario is just as likely as is being quarantined for no reason due to over anxious use of the technology. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1