Drink Package Questions

Will someone clarify when exactly can the UDP start use after boarding the ship?  How many miles out of the country?  Does one have to pay more for drinks before entering international waters?  If one wants an alcoholic drink at dinner, with UDP can you order from your table or do you have to bring it into the venue yourself?

We start drinking as soon as we board (have only cruised out of Florida) and we order drinks in the MDR with our waiter.  How he gets them and from where I have no clue but they have always been covered by our drink package.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hellsop said:

Depends on locality. Most departures, it's available as soon as you can find an open bar, though you may be charged local tax until some distance offshore (typically 12).

Ive never had the local tax passed on to me when I had the package. I have seen the tax added when are wrong drinks in port without the package. 

1 minute ago, purpldoll6x said:

Thanks everyone for the info.  Would someone also clarify that if you bring back alcohol purchased during the cruise and debark in Texas, you have to pay some sort of duty?

I cruise out of Galveston several

times a year, there is a TABC table just past customs to claim alchohol and cigarette purchases. It is completely on the honor system, and I have NEVER stopped there. 

Texas always had rules about paying alcohol taxes when you enter the state but in the last few years started to get more aggressive.  If the people at the table aren't busy they can get in your face.  They want to tax you even if you are leaving on an airplane in a few hours and not consuming your purchases there.  Taxes are crazy - by the ounce plus bottle charge so the small bottles from a minibar get taxed $3.50 each ($.50 tax plus $3 admin fee).  People still fly with alcohol, but they have to pack it in their luggage and very few people are willing to open their bags for the TABC folks.  But if they see you with an alcohol carrier they will tax it.

1 hour ago, purpldoll6x said:

Thanks everyone for the info.  Would someone also clarify that if you bring back alcohol purchased during the cruise and debark in Texas, you have to pay some sort of duty?

It was $3.75 per quart or liter back in 2015 and that got you the sticker shown below.   Just keep the bottles out of sight to avoid.

P2010275 a.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

They want to tax you even if you are leaving on an airplane in a few hours and not consuming your purchases there.  Taxes are crazy -

This was our situation as we went directly to Hobby airport to fly out.

Edited by robtulipe

It’s always amusing to see the faces of the unassuming passengers getting cornered as they walk out of the check in area with their cardboard booze carriers being told they have to pay taxes on each bottle. 
I was one of them “once”.  But only once.  😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I cruise out of Galveston several

times a year, there is a TABC table just past customs to claim alchohol and cigarette purchases. It is completely on the honor system, and I have NEVER stopped there. 

I paid the TABC tax once then completely ignored them they never check, I always declare the liquor to customs .