The Daily for Tuesday Jun 01, 2021

richwmn

Today is Say Something Nice Day, Flip a Coin Day, and International Children's Day

"When you are in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut."

Meal suggestion for today - Sticky Honey-Soy Chicken Wings

Drink of the Day - Ramos Gin Fizz

Wine of the day - Finca Decero Malbec Agrelo Remolinos Vineyard 2015

Port of the Day - Honolulu Hawaii US

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifting off San Diego
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 6/5
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX

Bahamas
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0601USA.thumb.png.2eb1ba11dfb8ad258db19e6d79a20f1a.png

0601Europe.thumb.png.8b21cda99d223e83f86ea652fff3b62a.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Welcome to June!  I hope it's a good one.

Love the days.    Great quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds pretty good, thanks.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and drink of the day.

I hope there are lots of great pictures of the port of the day.  We're thinking of taking the cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver, not sure when.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good morning, everyone.  

I like Say Something Nice Day.  The Daily thread practices that every day.   My sister said that in business she always tried to leave her colleagues feeling better than before their interaction.  Sounds like a worthy goal and think how wonderful the world would be.  Oh, I feel a song coming on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzrABouyeE

Today's meal sounds interesting.   Reviews are mixed.   I'm probably going with grilled fish and the rest of my grilled veggie medley.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/sticky-honey-soy-chicken-wings-recipe-1915545

180445640_StickyHoneySoyChickenWings.jpeg.05b4ce5cf69e416aad6291356faf2278.jpeg

Off to the pool!   Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Nice collection of days, I’d love to flip a coin to see whether or not I have to go to work today!  Good advice in today’s quote. I think I’ll pass on the wings this evening.  Haven’t been to Hawaii yet but can’t wait to see the photos. My prayers to all those in need today.  Cheers to all celebrating a special day.

• Like 22

Good Tuesday morning.  Always try to say something nice to people.  I really like the quote, wish more would follow it.  The meal sounds and looks delicious.  Thank you Debbie for the recipe/photo.  Have not been to today's port but have seen many photo's over the years.

Prayers to help us all and a 🥤toast to our shout outs.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Ramos Gin Fizz:

Henry C. Ramos invented the Ramos gin fizz in 1888 at his bar, the Imperial Cabinet Saloon on Gravier Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. It was originally called a "New Orleans fizz", and is one of the city's most famous cocktails.
Ingredients
2 ounces gin
3/4 ounce simple syrup
1/2 ounce heavy cream
1/2 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
3 dashes orange flower water
1 fresh egg white
Club soda, to top

Steps
Add the gin, simple syrup, heavy cream, lemon and lime juices, orange flower water and egg white into a shaker and dry-shake (without ice) vigorously for about 10 seconds.
Add ice and shake for at least 15 seconds, until well-chilled.
Strain into a Collins glass.
Pour a little bit of club soda back and forth between the empty halves of the shaker tins to pick up any residual cream and egg white, then use that to top the drink.

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 6.53.22 AM.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

A very quick post as waiting at the periodontist office to go in:

Today’s Care List:

• Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown recovery from arm surgery
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS in hospice and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs and wrist
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
  • The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.

Prayers for them all

• Like 34
  • Thanks 5

Thank you Rich for the first Daily of June.  A special salute to our children and your community where we say many nice things each day.  I'm willing to flip a coin but haven't for quite a while.  Great advice in the quote.  I've cruised to Honolulu quite a few times but always on Crystal.  The chicken wings sound nice.  My alternative is Marinated Pineapple Spears, Basil Crusted Veal Rack, and Tiramisu as served on MS Prinsendam June 1, 2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Diego)

Tara back home and accepting help

second jabs for superoma’s family

Wilbueforce University–Historically Black University cancelling 2020-21 student debt

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 5

Good  morning everyone. It  is  a  nice  collection of  days. The  quote  is  a  good one  as  well.

It  finally  stopped  raining  yesterday and  my  entire  street  erupted  into  parties,BBQ's  and  sudden  get togethers. Parking  is  always at  a  premium and  it  was  interesting  to  see  where  visiting cars  ended  up.

I  make  a  similar  chicken dish   but  add  hoisin  sauce which  improves  the  flavor. Tonight  is  a  collection  of  leftover things  which makes  things  easier.

We  have  been  to  Honolulu but  as  usual  I  left  the  picture  taking  to  DD  as  she  is  quite skilled in  this  area. I  did  find  a  shoreline  picture near  where  the  Veendam  was docked. We  walked  down  to a  restaurant  on  our  overnight  there. Good  times!

IMG_1173.JPG

• Like 33

Today's sunrise is the last from my 2013 Blount cruise New Orleans to St. Petersburg.  On June 1 I was on Amtrak's Silver Meteor in Northern Virginia, possibly crossing the Rhappahannock River.

dawn0531.jpg

Roy

• Like 35

Good morning everyone on this first day of June.  Rabbit, Rabbit!  (I remembered!)

I'm happy to hear it's Say Something Nice Day, Flip a Coin Day, and International Children's Day - all good causes.  I enjoy saying something nice each day.  I don't flip a coin very often at all.  And children are our future so let's celebrate them every day.  

I don't know why there is so much bad health news in the air lately.  I have heard three more bad events for those I know and I refuse to be the source of so many people listed on our prayer list.  So let's just agree we need to pray for everyone!  I'm ready to start hearing some good news now.

Love the quote.  Not a fan of chicken wings so will pass.  We've been to Honolulu 4 times so I probably have the same photos all of the rest of you do.  But I will see if there are any good ones later.  Thanks to @richwmnfor starting us out each day, @rafinmdfor continuing with our celebration list, and @kazufor helping out with the prayer list.  Fingers crossed for a successful and pain free procedure at the periodontist!🤞

• Like 29

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a fun combination of days!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Jacqui & Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Good luck today, Jacqui!  It is another gorgeous morning here. I do not want to jinx myself, but the humidity disappeared yesterday, so our atypical warm dry weather is back. But we need the rain and humidity. My irrigation is on a well, but many fork are not that lucky. Everyone is a bit concerned about the threat of fire. Like the quote. Meal sounds good. Pass on the drink.

Another Port I have visited. 
October 2019, the sunrise over Diamond Head approaching the port on the Oosterdam.

546C8A87-3A50-447D-9356-A574BC5A0183.jpeg.ae28bf4d9f867f8aeb39d5549915e71a.jpeg

The Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.6FC2CD25-6ACC-4B31-891F-A06EA69EBD82.jpeg.3d97f0892d799d01177fc6cc1ca40813.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Hope we find out why today is Carol’s favorite day!🤔

Stay well everyone!

All released vintages of this Malbec have very good - excellent ratings. Several online distributors of the 2015 vintage with prices starting at $14.89. And if you are willing to wait, the 2017 has the highest ratings!

Winemaker Notes

#34 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

This Malbec shows the intense violet aromatics and bright freshness and acidity which has come to define Decero Malbec. Elegant tannin complexity reflects beautifully integrated oak tannins following 14 months in French oak.

WS91 Wine Spectator: An elegant style, with a core of vibrant cherry, plum and currant flavors that are supported by fresh acidity. This is supple midpalate, with a finish that lingers with dried ginger and white pepper details. Drink now through 2022.

JS90 James Suckling: Quite a lot of dried fruit on the nose with spice and mahogany aromas. Medium body, juicy fruit and a flavorful finish. Fruity and fun.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a bright and sunny day at the beach.

"Say something nice day" should be everyday.  It is one of the reasons I like this thread so much, everyone is really caring toward each other.  Have not flipped a coin in a long time.

The quote is interesting but true.

Finally a port I have been to, actually several times. Because my DD is disabled, it it is fairly easy to get around. We usually rent a car and drive around the island. Last time in 2019, we took the bus to Waikiki and then walked back. It was a bit of a hike but quite enjoyable.

I am so ready to cruise again!!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 22

14 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Happy June 1st, be sure and say rabbit 🐇.

I forgot to say it.  No wonder I am still in the chair with a small complication 😳 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning all!

Did some reading of the Daily the last few days, but didn’t get around to posting. Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Memorial Day is special in my neighborhood because we live so close to Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. The cemetery sits overlooking the Mississippi and has graves of Civil War soldiers (Union and Confederate) as well as being the resting place of Michael Blassie, the Vietnam soldier who was at one time the Unknown Soldier until he was identified. It is a popular place for people to walk and many St Louis people have relatives buried there. My dad refused to be buried there. He served his entire time during World War II as a drill instructor at Jefferson Barracks. He said he had already spent enough of his life there and he didn’t want to spend eternity there. 

The collection of days is interesting. I will especially try to say something nice today (I’m a bit snarky sometimes, have to watch that.)

Although I love New Orleans, I’ll skip the drink. Those wings look delicious. I don’t think I’ve ever met a Malbec I didn’t like.

I’ve been to Honolulu on the Rotterdam in 2010. It is the site of my most intensely disappointing shore excursion; I will share in another post. I know I don’t have those pictures on my IPad. Maybe I will check my computer later.

Continued prayers 🙏 for all on our care list. I pray for the healing (physically and mentally) of all. And always prayers for the caregivers. And a toast to all the celebrations that we get to join in vicariously 🍷.

St Louis Sal

• Like 26

Good morning everyone. I will certainly say something nice on this, my favorite day of the year. Hello June, also my favorite month. But, although I said it, why do we say rabbit?

We are going out to a beautiful restaurant on a lake  tonight to celebrate  JUNE. My NY license plate was JUNEJUNE. Now, it’s similar, but one letter shorter.

Jacqui, hope they resolve your one issue quickly.

Have a great day everyone.

Carol

• Like 23

While I was growing up I never imagined I would get to see so many places in this big wide world.  Didn't everybody dream of going to Hawaii someday?  Of course when we sailed to Hawaii the first time in 2007 on Diamond Princess we wanted to see Pearl Harbor so took a tour there.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

After the Arizona Memorial we went to the U.S.S. Missouri where Japan surrendered at the end of WWII.enhance

Appropriate for us to visit - that's our home state!

enhance

The site where the papers were signed.enhance

Back to the ship docked next to Aloha Tower.enhance

We were entertained by local dance groups that evening.enhance

enhance

In 2009 we visited Honolulu again on the Golden Princess.  This trip we traveled with friends we'd met the previous year on a cruise.  We were parked next to Aloha Tower again.enhance

The four of us headed out to meet a friend of theirs in Chinatown.  The first thing we saw was a skyscraper and some window washers.  Scary!  That doesn't look safe!enhance

enhance

We headed into the fish market.enhance

Heading towards the beaches we passed the statue of Queen Liliuokalani.enhance

and the Iolani Palace.enhance

followed by the beautiful statue of King Kamehameha.enhance

A quick stop to look at the grounds of the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  Not too shabby!enhance

And a brief look at Waikiki Beachenhance

enhance

I bet I have better shots of the beach on later visits.  The following two stops in Honolulu were during South Pacific cruises.  I'll have a look at the photos and check in later although I'm sure there are plenty of photos of Honolulu here.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Memorial Day is special in my neighborhood because we live so close to Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. The cemetery sits overlooking the Mississippi and has graves of Civil War soldiers (Union and Confederate)

I live close to Woodlawn National Cemetery in Elmira, NY. Almost 3,000 Confederate soldiers who died in the Elmira prison camp - in the span of just 13 months - are buried there. It was known as "Hellmira" and later "The Andersonville of the North"; the commandant deliberately maintained unsanitary conditions to punish the Confederate soldiers.

The gravedigger was an escaped slave named John Jones who was also a figure in the Underground Railroad, for which Elmira was a waystation between Pennsylvania and Lake Ontario. He kept such careful records that only a handful of graves are unidentified.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2