DeSantis nearing compromise on cruise vaccination requirements

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

People are saying John said he would have a big announcement today, monday. I hope it's about vaccines myself so we can move on. I'd rather know than keep hearing guesses and debates. Just let us know. ..though who knows what it is about. 

Now he's saying (sometime) "this week". 

Like sands through the hourglass...

Tom

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

Now 9:15. He used his time in the community post.

Whatcha think -- announcement of test cruises? Or (Debbie Downer) - announcement of more cancellations... Mardi Gras?  

Speculation aside, any news is good news (at least it's better than NO news)!!

Tom

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Whatcha think -- announcement of test cruises? Or (Debbie Downer) - announcement of more cancellations... Mardi Gras?  

Speculation aside, any news is good news (at least it's better than NO news)!!

Tom

I am thinking CD schedule. 

Edited by regoodwinjr

9 hours ago, MrMarc said:

But doesn't the original suit cite the economic impact as a harm?  I certainly would bring it up, as it seems to totally undercut that issue.

Yes, but the litigation hasn't advanced to the stage where a defense like "mitigation of damages" is relevant.

The CDC can't argue that Florida failed to mitigate its damages until the ships start sailing and cruise lines pull out of Florida for other ports because of the anti vax rule.

Right now the CDC seems to be arguing that the suit is moot because the ships have been given permission to sail

Edited by songbird1329

2 hours ago, songbird1329 said:

Yes, but the litigation hasn't advanced to the stage where a defense like "mitigation of damages" is relevant.

The CDC can't argue that Florida failed to mitigate its damages until the ships start sailing and cruise lines pull out of Florida for other ports because of the anti vax rule.

Right now the CDC seems to be arguing that the suit is moot because the ships have been given permission to sail

And if anything is really holding them up from cruising from Florida, it is now the Florida law concerning not being able to ask about vaccination status.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And if anything is really holding them up from cruising from Florida, it is now the Florida law concerning not being able to ask about vaccination status.

Carnival may flip back to unvaccinated for Florida and do vaccinated on all of the ports outside of Florida.  Just a guess.

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It's the hearing on the 10th not the Florida law.

2 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

It's the hearing on the 10th not the Florida law.

Isn't the hearing on the 10th just to allow new papers to be submitted from both sides.

Even if the cruise lines decided to go the no vaccination route, haven't you read all the posters who say they will not cruise if vaccinations are required? And how can one know on a cruise out of Florida if others are vaccinated if Florida law does not allow the question to be even asked?

For all the Constitutional scholars speaking of freedoms---what about the cruise lines First Amendment Freedom of Speech right to ask that question?

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

For all the Constitutional scholars speaking of freedoms---what about the cruise lines First Amendment Freedom of Speech right to ask that question?

I don't think freedom of speech includes asking someone what is in their medical records.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

Isn't the hearing on the 10th just to allow new papers to be submitted from both sides.

Even if the cruise lines decided to go the no vaccination route, haven't you read all the posters who say they will not cruise if vaccinations are required? And how can one know on a cruise out of Florida if others are vaccinated if Florida law does not allow the question to be even asked?

If it was just that why wait till the day after?  They could have just made the decision today.

Are the companies now allowed to ask any medical question they want?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I don't think freedom of speech includes asking someone what is in their medical records.

You have the freedom not to answer. They have the freedom to say we will process your refund.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Put the sick off of the ship.

Agreed.  There should be no reason to cancel a cruise and return to port anymore.  The CDC needs to remove this portion of the CSO.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 8:31 AM, CI66774 said:

Should they have to identify themselves to you too?

What does wearing a mask have to do with identifying themselves?  I dont care if they have a card or not.  I certainly dont have a card and i am vaccinated so the only way to prove i am is to carry my health records with me.  Has nothing to do with the original post comment about "protections for unvaccinated persons who dont wear masks".

21 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Coronavirus infections requiring hospitalization are not only possible in younger adults, but the rate of these cases is increasing

The virus has no other place to spread to!  Its a foregone conclusion that cases would increase in the last large subset of unvaccinated individuals. It shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone.

On 6/2/2021 at 2:37 PM, beerman2 said:

Spin it anyway one wishes. It's a compromise because DeSantis wasn't going to win. Plus the fact cruiselines bring in 💰💰💰💰💰 to Florida's economy.

In the end it's all about the money. 

Nailed it.

I honestly don't think it's the young people we need to worry about. It's overwhelmingly an illness that kills the elderly (who most likely have other medical conditions).    It's the Grandma or Grandpa that didn't get vaccinated for whatever reason and then they get COVID - which can easily go downhill very fast.  It would be nice if Regeneron could be on-board since it was just approved for injection.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-authorizes-lower-dose-regenerons-covid-19-antibody-therapy-2021-06-04/

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You have the freedom not to answer. They have the freedom to say we will process your refund.

In Florida, they do not have the right, currently to ask. This is the very same manner that airline employees can't ask you why you need pre boarding or what medical condition warrant you to ask for pre boarding. This is across every state. You ask for airline pre boarding, you get it, no questions asked. It is not allowed. 

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

HIPPA does not apply here. Schools always require proof of vaccination.  HIPPA provides protection from a healthcare provider giving out your medical info without your permission. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

HIPPA does not apply here. Schools always require proof of vaccination.  HIPPA provides protection from a healthcare provider giving out your medical info without your permission. 

HIPPA does not apply because Covid -19 was certified a global pandemic. Once this designation is lifted then its a different story. 

3 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

HIPPA does not apply because Covid -19 was certified a global pandemic. Once this designation is lifted then its a different story. 

Source please.