Where to stay in Seattle before cruise?

The airport is not close to DT Seattle, so it may be a bit inconvenient depending on your pre-cruise plans.  On the positive side, the accommodations by the airport  are less expensive, and if you find a hotel close to a light rail station, it would be an easy and economical way of getting into DT Seattle.

Hotels in the downtown area tend to be quite expensive during the summer.  It is possible that due to less business/conference travel that there will be more supply than demand for rooms and you may find it affordable to stay downtown.  Staying downtown would be the way to go if the price is reasonable.

On 6/16/2021 at 6:45 PM, LoveMySofa said:

Could someone explain how "The airport area is MISERABLE", please?

I don't know if miserable is quite the level, but you're basically going to be staying there and having dinner and that's that because there isn't anything else to do.  I'm with all of the above who say spring for the downtown hotel and enjoy Seattle if you have time.  It's a beautiful city with a lot to offer and in the scheme of things, what's another $100, which is the general price difference between a room down there and one at the airport.  Bottom line is you are not going to find a cheap room in Seattle, no matter where you stay.  My Radisson by the airport room for the night after the cruise is around $200.  My Inn at the Market room for the night before is about $300.  It's worth it to me.  

• Like 1

Has anyone stayed at The Sound Hotel Belltown? 2120 4th Ave. It's got great reviews but one review mentions not in a good area. Hoping someone can comment on this.

Also it appears to be about 15 miles from SEA and about 3 miles to Pier 91. What is the best car service or shuttle from SEA to the Belltown area?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Fingers crossed we'll be sailing to Alaska Aug 2021😬

3 hours ago, P.A. said:

Has anyone stayed at The Sound Hotel Belltown? 2120 4th Ave. It's got great reviews but one review mentions not in a good area. Hoping someone can comment on this.

I think Belltown is a great area. The one person who made the comment just may not be used to urban life.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, P.A. said:

Also it appears to be about 15 miles from SEA and about 3 miles to Pier 91. What is the best car service or shuttle from SEA to the Belltown area?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Fingers crossed we'll be sailing to Alaska Aug 2021😬

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I think Belltown is a great area. The one person who made the comment just may not be used to urban life.

We booked the Sound hotel for the night before our cruise. Thanks to Cruise Critic posters, a detailed map of Seattle from the Moon Guide, its proximity to the Westlake Station and Pier 66 and its good reviews, it seems to be a good choice. 

DH and I will be schlepping via light rail from SEA and to the port the next day. We had looked at some Hyatt properties closer to the Space Needle but none seemed well-reviewed and the distance was not really walkable with a suitcase.

As far as the Sound being in a dicey area, we are not too concerned, especially since we do not plan on any midnight strolls!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

We booked the Sound hotel for the night before our cruise. Thanks to Cruise Critic posters, a detailed map of Seattle from the Moon Guide, its proximity to the Westlake Station and Pier 66 and its good reviews, it seems to be a good choice. 

DH and I will be schlepping via light rail from SEA and to the port the next day. We had looked at some Hyatt properties closer to the Space Needle but none seemed well-reviewed and the distance was not really walkable with a suitcase.

As far as the Sound being in a dicey area, we are not too concerned, especially since we do not plan on any midnight strolls!

So how are you getting from airport to hotel? We don't really want to take the railway because we have too much luggage. We'll be departing from Pier 91.

4 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Belltown is not dicey at all. It is one of the hottest neighborhoods and housing markets in Seattle, especially for young professionals.

The Sound Hotel is at 2120 4th Street. Two blocks up at 1920 4th Street there is a $7 million dollar, 3 bedroom condo for sale.

For P.A., I'd use Uber or Lyft from the airport. If you don't have a Smartphone, then I'd use Shuttle Express.

58 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Belltown is not dicey at all. It is one of the hottest neighborhoods and housing markets in Seattle, especially for young professionals.

The Sound Hotel is at 2120 4th Street. Two blocks up at 1920 4th Street there is a $7 million dollar, 3 bedroom condo for sale.

For P.A., I'd use Uber or Lyft from the airport. If you don't have a Smartphone, then I'd use Shuttle Express.

That is great to hear. Thank you for that info.

Do you know if the hotel is within walking distance to the market?

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Seattle has one of the highest rate of crime in America.  96% of the cities in United States have lower crime rate  Belltown is the most dangerous area in Seattle.  All retail stores in Downtown have closed due to shoplifting that goes unpunished. The Stolen Goods Flee Market is located in Belltown.   

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

20 minutes ago, cheone said:

Seattle has one of the highest rate of crime in America.  96% of the cities in United States have lower crime rate  Belltown is the most dangerous area in Seattle.  All retail stores in Downtown have closed due to shoplifting that goes unpunished. The Stolen Goods Flee Market is located in Belltown.   

Two different takes on Belltown! Here are the stats on Cleveland, where we live in a western suburb:

With a crime rate of 60 per one thousand residents, Cleveland has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 17.
From the same source here is Seattle:
With a crime rate of 52 per one thousand residents, Seattle has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 19.
Safer in Seattle!!
Edited by TMLAalum

8 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Two different takes on Belltown! Here are the stats on Cleveland, where we live in a western suburb:

With a crime rate of 60 per one thousand residents, Cleveland has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 17.
From the same source here is Seattle:
With a crime rate of 52 per one thousand residents, Seattle has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 19.
Safer in Seattle!!

Correct,  Cleveland  per FBI statistics, 98% of the cities in USA are less dangerous.  Seattle, 96% of the cities in USA are less dangerous.  

5 hours ago, P.A. said:

So how are you getting from airport to hotel? We don't really want to take the railway because we have too much luggage. We'll be departing from Pier 91.

Hi P.A.

We will be packing lightly. Ideally we can use our 2-wheel carryons plus backpacks. But if need be, one or both of us will take our larger 25 in. 2-wheel suitcases, although after having our checked bags lost for a week-long trip to Berlin and Prague followed by a luggage-less 2 week cruise, we are more comfortable keeping our bags with us.. We find the 2-wheel type to be more maneuverable over sidewalks and easier to pull. I roll my clothes and wear then air out non-dainty items to don another time. We get free laundry w/ Celeb but hand wash unmentionables and socks. The Sound hotel is within reasonable walking distance of the light rail.

Even if you use a private transfer service, you still have to drag your bags to the meeting place at the airport.

• Like 1

The protesters have packed up and gone home, but no one can predict what tomorrow brings.  I plan on riding the Link from the airport to Westlake Center with my 26” and a backpack with a short walk to my hotel.  I will taxi/Uber to Pier 91 the next morning.
I have cruised from Seattle multiple times and have stayed both at the airport area and downtown.  I travel solo, but won’t be out after nightfall.

• Like 1

I'm going to offer a little different perspective than most of the posters.  I don't disagree at all with other posters.  I've just been to Seattle so many times, and my flight arrives late afternoon the day before the cruise.  I am staying at the Radisson at SeaTac and my price all in $132.  They offer a free shuttle.  Next day I take the cruise shuttle to the Pier.  $29.  I don't have to handle my luggage once I get to the cruise shuttle which is at Sea-Tac.  I'll be coming in from San Diego after already having several days of vacationing, and Seattle just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  It just kind of depends on what your circumstances are and how much energy you have.  I find airline travel tiring, and just can't muster being a tourist after I fly in.  

Edited by AKJonesy

19 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I'm going to offer a little different perspective than most of the posters.  I don't disagree at all with other posters.  I've just been to Seattle so many times, and my flight arrives late afternoon the day before the cruise.  I am staying at the Radisson at SeaTac and my price all in $132.  They offer a free shuttle.  Next day I take the cruise shuttle to the Pier.  $29.  I don't have to handle my luggage once I get to the cruise shuttle which is at Sea-Tac.  I'll be coming in from San Diego after already having several days of vacationing, and Seattle just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  It just kind of depends on what your circumstances are and how much energy you have.  I find airline travel tiring, and just can't muster being a tourist after I fly in.  

We are coming in late afternoon as you are the day before the cruise.  We are on Holland America 9/4/21 to Alaska.   Coming from Cleveland we still have an early morning departure and a layover on the way there.   We decided that since we had been to Seattle before in a more relaxed vacation we would opt to save money on the hotel and we booked at the Hampton on 28th Avenue for approx. the same price as you.  We will grab a bite to eat somewhere and maybe lounge around the pool that evening.    The Hampton has free airport shuttle and also offers a shuttle to either Pier 66 or 91 for $15 the next morning to get to the cruise ship.  We will use the $29 transfer Holland offers to the airport after the cruise.    If we had more time - we would have looked for something closer to the attractions but for this short vacation this seemed like a good fit.   Safe travels everyone.  

Maryell

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 2:29 PM, cheone said:

Yikes!! This is a little scary!!

Seattle is hardly a high crime city.  Lots of homeless but your chances of being 'assaulted or robbed' is remote at best.  I've driven around and things are great in the tourist areas.

For port shuttle it appears that

seattleexpress.com

is still around for AIRPORT only transport.  Hotels around Seatac with cruise pkgs are sometimes found at

seattlesouthside.com

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 9:39 PM, DenaInWyo said:

I don't know if miserable is quite the level, but you're basically going to be staying there and having dinner and that's that because there isn't anything else to do.  I'm with all of the above who say spring for the downtown hotel and enjoy Seattle if you have time.  It's a beautiful city with a lot to offer and in the scheme of things, what's another $100, which is the general price difference between a room down there and one at the airport.  Bottom line is you are not going to find a cheap room in Seattle, no matter where you stay.  My Radisson by the airport room for the night after the cruise is around $200.  My Inn at the Market room for the night before is about $300.  It's worth it to me.  

What is My inn at the Market ? 

Dianne

On 6/22/2021 at 3:29 PM, cheone said:

No one in my traveling party is interested in spending an extra dime in downtown Seattle due to crime and the practice of not holding criminals accountable through prosecution.  You can bet if a cruiser is a victim of a criminal act, no one will care since the cruiser is from out of town

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2