Disputing credit card charge for canceled cruise versus waiting for refund

njpln

We just had a cruise canceled after paying a large payment only 45 days ago. Since they’re telling us there’s up to 90 days until they will refund us, We are considering disputing the charge and providing the cancellation letter as our rationale.

We are wondering what has been other folks’ experience when they’ve disputed the credit card charge for a canceled cruise?

Is there any advice for how to handle this?

Thanks for any info…

Why wait?

What have you got to loose by establishing a record of disputing the charge?

What happens in the unlikely situation that 90 days turns into longer and you have not disputed the charge?

Edited by iancal

I've read of several people trying this strategy with varied results. 

Mostly the CC companies contact the cruise line, cruise line says "our policy is up to XX days for refund".  CC company tells you to put in another dispute after those XX days.  I've also read of people getting refunded immediately to their CC account only to have the money removed once the cruise line was contacted.

No harm in trying but don't get your hopes up.

Edited by ColeThornton

It's not really the proper process. Credit card disputes are for when a merchant won't work/communicate with you. Using them in the manner you are suggesting isn't appropriate IMO. You may actually slow down the process by trying to artificially rush it in this backdoor fashion. Just wait for your refund. Many lines are processing them much more quickly. If you are in some kind of financial distress, notifying the merchant (cruise line) over the phone may yield better results than filing a dispute.  

1 hour ago, njpln said:

We just had a cruise canceled after paying a large payment only 45 days ago. Since they’re telling us there’s up to 90 days until they will refund us, We are considering disputing the charge and providing the cancellation letter as our rationale.

We are wondering what has been other folks’ experience when they’ve disputed the credit card charge for a canceled cruise?

Thanks for any info…

All that matters is what your T&Cs say (including the refund policy which may point to something like “Travel Advisories or Assurance” policies that allow them to change anything and everything like refund deadlines, etc.).
Your CC company, based on your initial complaint, MAY place a TEMP credit on your account until the Cruise company responds to their inquiry with a copy of their T&Cs (to which you agreed when you purchased the cruise).

By the time you’ve “jumped through all the hoops,” your refund will have probably been issued. 

23 hours ago, njpln said:

Thanks for any info…

Depends on the Bank. Some will accept and process. Others say you must wait because of all the cancellations that need to be process. 90 days is the norm.

Last March I had a cruise cancelled and I read on Cruise Critic that you only had 100 days to dispute a charge.  That, of course, was not true, but I panicked and called my credit card company.  

They immediately placed a temporary credit on my account and in about two weeks it became permanent.  Just telling you how it played out for us......March 2020.

Here on Cruise Critic there were many posters saying that those who did that would be banned from either the cruise line or the credit card company .....lol.  That, of course, never happened.

My advice is to make sure you document (in writing) the cruise line's refund policy and any related correspondence.  This is helpful in case the cruise line does not keep their end of the deal (refund).  I would also call the Credit Card company, tell them the situation, and ask them to enter the information on the record.  Make sure to document everything including phone calls, with who, dates, times, etc.  In the end all this will likely be a waste of your time as the cruise line will refund your money, but if there is a later issue having a record avoids any possible issue of exceeding a time limit that could be imposed by your credit card company.

One warning.  The cruise line might try to temp you with a generous Future Cruise Credit in lieu of a refund.  Accepting something like that may well jeopardize a credit card charge back if you later need to go that route.  

Hank