The Daily for Friday Jun 04, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

I assume that many cruisers who have visited Tasmania know this. but for those who don't, Van Diemens Land was the original name of Tasmania.

From Wikipedia:  The Dutch explorer Abel Tasman was the first known European to land on the shores of Tasmania in 1642. Landing at Blackman Bay and later having the Dutch flag flown at North Bay, Tasman named the island Anthoonij van Diemenslandt (Anthony Van Diemen's land) in honour of Anthony van Diemen, Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies, who had sent Tasman on his voyage.

n 1856, Van Diemen's Land was renamed Tasmania in honor of Abel Tasman.

Van Diemen's Land also figured prominently in Irish history as it was used to transport convicts there, many times for trying to improve conditions in Ireland.  This is a good article about part of that history and the Young Ireland Movement.

https://www.tasmaniantimes.com/2020/03/irish-exiles-van-diemens-land-heather-donaldson/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Unfortunately, I have heard news about the babies.  Their hearts were beating when they were born this morning.  The parents, and grandparents including my niece, Lisa got to spend time with them before they passed away.  Lisa said they had her son's dark hair coloring.  Of course, everyone is devastated and heartbroken.  There is a hole in my heart just hearing this devastating news.  

As for DS the nurse estimates she has a couple of more days left.  At least she can hold those babies when she gets to heaven.  My DBIL passed 5 years ago so he is there with them now.  

I am so sad.  Sorry for being such a downer.  Just too much bad news at one time.😭  Coming here helps me to cope though so thanks to all.

So sorry to hear this. 

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Unfortunately, I have heard news about the babies.  Their hearts were beating when they were born this morning.  The parents, and grandparents including my niece, Lisa got to spend time with them before they passed away.  Lisa said they had her son's dark hair coloring.  Of course, everyone is devastated and heartbroken.  There is a hole in my heart just hearing this devastating news.  

As for DS the nurse estimates she has a couple of more days left.  At least she can hold those babies when she gets to heaven.  My DBIL passed 5 years ago so he is there with them now.  

I am so sad.  Sorry for being such a downer.  Just too much bad news at one time.😭  Coming here helps me to cope though so thanks to all.

How sad for you and the whole family. Sending cyberhugs and prayers

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dfish said:

Oh, my.  I am so sorry.  I can't begin to imagine the heaviness of your heart right now.   I wish I could do something to make it better, but I can't.   I will hold you and  your family close to my heart and know that I am thinking of you.

Don't worry about being a "downer".   We want to support you and share your pain.  

Perfectly said Debbie. Prayers for your family @StLouisCruisers

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I can’t like this post, I’m sorry.  It is devastating. 😢 

I am so very sorry to hear this.  I have no words.  All I can say is I’m sorry and my prayers are with the little ones and you.  My deepest condolences ♥️ 🙏🏻 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am so very sorry. It just seems to be overload right now. Everyone got to say "I love you" and "Goodbye" but that must be terribly hard. My condolences to all.

Susan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Oh Sandi,  no words,  I am just SO sorry, how tragic for you and your family! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Very sorry to hear of your sad news. We are here to offer whatever help we can so don't think you are "being a downer".

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1