Royal Caribbean reverses, won’t require passengers on U.S. cruises to be vaccinated

27 minutes ago, James4me said:

I’m pretty sure the people grumbling how they will cancel their expensive suites because it’s now not all vaccinated will still be going on their cruse.  

And you would be very wrong in that assumption. Everything I have canceled were suites. Why in the world would I pay that kind of money to cruise under unvaxxed protocols?  There are plenty of beautiful places in this vast world to vacation. I don't need to be stuck in the middle of the ocean in an iron container with a bunch of unvaxxed people.

Not cruising on an unvaccinated ship unless they have very clear protocols that the vaccinated are not restricted; no mask wearing, self-excursions allowed, and do not have to follow the strict protocols that the unvaxxed will probably have to follow.

Edited by cured
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dominicr said:

This is hilarious.  Why do people who are vaccinated even care what people who are unvaccinated do?  If you’ve been vaccinated you can still get it and carry it....your symptoms are just minimized .  This argument by vaccinated people is getting beyond old.  

The thing with people not having a clue is so past old and ridiculous. How many times does someone have to say that they are more concerned about the cruise having to turn back to port due to an outbreak? At this point since I’m vaccinated I don’t care if unvaccinated pass covid on to other unvaccinated and get really sick. That’s their problem. I just don’t want my vacation shortened because of them. Understand now?????

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, long4acruise said:

Well many of the upcoming summer/fall/winter cruises were booked almost 1.5 - 5 years ago, way before "pandemic", "vaccinations", etc.. were part of our daily discussions and concerns!

Not looking for sympathy, just timely info from RC and the company not "putting the horse before the cart" in situations where it could clearly be avoided.

Sometimes a company has to bend a little to accommodate its customers or acquire new ones. The saying "you can attract more bees with honey than vinegar" thinking comes to mind.

Respect each one's opinion.

My November cruise was originally booked in November 2019, so I completely understand the frustration of those who now have cruises for this summer who made their booking long before Covid; however, it was still a gamble to take a L&S last year.  There were other options - like making full payment and then getting a refund when the cruise was canceled, but all of us who took the L&S took a chance that cruising would be up and running this year.  Although it appears my November cruise will happen, there is still the possibility that there could be another glitch, or I won't be happy with protocols, but I will make final payment in August and let the chips fall where they may.

I will either cruise on Oasis in November, or if the cruise is canceled, get a full refund and have a Florida vacation.

As I originally stated, I'm to the point where I really don't care what Royal does.  Cruising will either resume and be something I'm interested in doing in the future or it won't.

I'm tired of the whole mess. 

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

...... If folks wanted vaccinated they could have booked celebrity. 

Maybe you should think about that when a lot of people booked, Royal said they would require a vaccine. I’m well aware that things can change but such a comment, well what can I say? 🙄

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cured said:

How are they going to distribute the correct color of tracelet if they are not allowed to ask for vaccination status while in port?  Are they going to call everyone to the theater in the evening once the ship is in international waters to show their proof of vaccination?

I can see it work if they make it voluntary to show your vaccine id at check in and get the proper colored tracelet. Vaccinated people would be crazy to refuse to show it and have to follow the unvaccinated protocols.

However, I wonder what the Vegas odds are that the Florida law will be amended to forbid presentation of a vaccine card, even voluntary, when it becomes apparent to the Florida legislature that there will be a 2 tier system with the unvaccinated having to undergo more rigorous protocols.  I think DeSantis' goal is that vaccination status should not matter, ever.

Then we are back to the logistics of checking 3,000 - 6,000 passengers vaccine status after the ship has sailed. Reinstate a muster drill type of gathering to check vaccine status? And if they can't ask vaccine status at the port, does that mean everyone has to be tested?  Sorry, I did my part to get vaccinated. I am no longer having my brains tickled to accomodate a small percentage of passengers who don't want to get vaccinated (or recent lab results of proof of immunity.)

The way the law is written they don't care if you present it voluntarily.  As far as they are concerned the cruise line asked and they will charge the cruise line $5000 since its a requirement to board.  But I don't think they have the authority so by end of this month we will see what a judge will say once the first ship comes back.

1 hour ago, dominicr said:

This is hilarious.  Why do people who are vaccinated even care what people who are unvaccinated do?  If you’ve been vaccinated you can still get it and carry it....your symptoms are just minimized .  This argument by vaccinated people is getting beyond old.  

1 hour ago, cruiserking said:

Because there is a far greater chance that unvaccinated people will catch Covid and the cruise will be halted. Also, there are a variety of dangerous viral strains that are popping up by the day. For those that got vaccinated we expect to enjoy a relaxing cruise without worrying that it will end after two days or that you still might get sick. 

Jonathan

He just doesn’t get it. 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shutterbug63 said:

I am not sure we'll sail if they don't require vaccines. I understand from the press release that passengers who aren't vaccinated will probably be required to test and there will be other as yet unspecified "protocols".  The thought of being on a ship in the middle of the ocean with a Covid outbreak definitely gives me pause and makes me want to consider something else for our vacation. 

I don't mind wearing a mask, but why should I have to when I've done my part to make everyone safe just because someone else didn't?  For right now, I'm going to wait and see as we don't sail for a while.  And if there's outbreaks on cruises, it may all be a moot point, so sitting tight for now.

I'm sorry to see them cave to DeSantis.

Right. Because requiring a test did a lot of good for that family whose son died once they reached Hawaii.

We were considering sailing on RCL soon, but those plans are now on hold indefinitely.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I don't want to be that guy that said "I told you you so." .... so I won't. 

Don't say it quite yet 🙂  As fickle as Royal Caribbean has been, a new memo could be issued next week reversing their stance yet again. I will believe they are solid on their position when I see the first ship leave either vaxxed or unvaxxed in July.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cured said:

Don't say it quite yet 🙂  As fickle as Royal Caribbean has been, a new memo could be issued next week reversing their stance yet again. I will believe they are solid on their position when I see the first ship leave either vaxxed or unvaxxed in July.

For the first time they have taken an official position on it...and It's announced..... and they are selling cruises accordingly. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cured said:

And you would be very wrong in that assumption. Everything I have canceled were suites. Why in the world would I pay that kind of money to cruise under unvaxxed protocols?  There are plenty of beautiful places in this vast world to vacation. I don't need to be stuck in the middle of the ocean in an iron container with a bunch of unvaxxed people.

Not cruising on an unvaccinated ship unless they have very clear protocols that the vaccinated are not restricted; no mask wearing, self-excursions allowed, and do not have to follow the strict protocols that the unvaxxed will probably have to follow.

I agree with you.  Who is going to pay that kind of money for a high end suite with the possibility of the ship returning to port for an outbreak.  You can choose the other lines which are sailing vaccinated so at least there is an option.   I think once the first ship sails with vaccinated crew and passengers people will relax a little more before the uncertainty will subside a little.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Maybe you should think about that when a lot of people booked, Royal said they would require a vaccine. I’m well aware that things can change but such a comment, well what can I say? 🙄

I dont remember them saying one way or another. I got vaccinated and feel safe cruising. If they said vaccinated I missed it. I've seen people show some port that requires it and claim it would apply to the usa. Never once heard one way or another. 

If you have a link showing rcl said vaccinated for usa then ok but I'd want to see it in writing. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

The way the law is written they don't care if you present it voluntarily.  As far as they are concerned the cruise line asked and they will charge the cruise line $5000 since its a requirement to board.  But I don't think they have the authority so by end of this month we will see what a judge will say once the first ship comes back.

I realize that is the law now.  What are the Vegas odds that DeSantis and Florida add an amendment to the law forbidding a company to record vaccine status even if offered voluntarily, in order to prevent a 2 tiered system with different rules for vaxxed and unvaxxed to happen?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Odd you place no blame on the cdc. Cdc could have said 85% vaccinated or 90% is ok to allow for the children.

When you blame only one party of two, it's just politics. 

So wrong. It’s not politics if someone is blaming De Santis for requiring Royal to allow unvaccinated people. They are blaming him because he is the one that’s putting a stop to allow Royal to do what they want to do for the safety of the passengers. Why also blame someone else when others didn’t have anything to do with it. It’s all about De Santis and his grandstanding. 🙄

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

For the first time they have taken an official position on it...and It's announced..... and they are selling cruises accordingly. 

Lol I'm not even sure that rcl has taken a position. A newspaper said this, not rcl. Until rcl says it, it's not 100%. Need to see the policy complete. ..on their site. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cured said:

I realize that is the law now.  What are the Vegas odds that DeSantis and Florida add an amendment to the law forbidding a company to record vaccine status even if offered voluntarily, in order to prevent a 2 tiered system with different rules for vaxxed and unvaxxed to happen?

Yeah again. He could do all that but at the end of the day the cruise lines will just take the state to court and say its unconstitutional.  Which it is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

So wrong. It’s not politics if someone is blaming De Santis for requiring Royal to allow unvaccinated people. They are blaming him because he is the one that’s putting a stop to allow Royal to do what they want to do for the safety of the passengers. Why also blame someone else when others didn’t have anything to do with it. It’s all about De Santis and his grandstanding. 🙄

And the cdc had nothing to do with it and the whole 95/98 policy? Ok. Blame whomever you want. I think the cdc had a hand in it. Probably both are to blame. Not just one. Who cares, as whatever the policy is, that's what we deal with going forward. Well goodnight. I'll let people point fingers if it makes them feel better. I am ready to cruise. Just tell us the protocols already. End the suspense. 

But I'm sure there are probably some testing and other protocols from what I've read. This isnt a black and white thing. Like get tested if not vaccinated...the article hinted more to come. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I'm not even sure that rcl has taken a position. A newspaper said this, not rcl. Until rcl says it, it's not 100%. Need to see the policy complete. ..on their site. 

Firefly someone posted the actual policy of vaccinated 16 and up before this announcement somewhere in the forum.  If this was just released today might take a little time to get that changed.  I kind of understand their thinking somewhat in the sense they will use Celebrity as their vaccinated line since there are not as many activities outdoors as there are on the RCCL ships for kids.  I would assume they think they have everyone's needs covered.  

Edited by cscurlock

14 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

They had an official position last month where their website clearly said that all cruises originating from the US and the Bahamas would require everyone 16 and up would be required to be vaccinated and after August 1, all passengers 12 and up would need to be vaccinated. It was published, announced, and they were selling cruises under those guidelines.

They have now changed the requirements to cruise.

Nothing says they can't change it again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Firefly someone posted the actual policy of vaccinated 16 and up before this announcement somewhere in the forum.  If this was just released today might take a little to get that changed.  I kind of understand their thinking somewhat in the sense they will use Celebrity as their vaccinated line since there are not as many activities outdoors as there are on the RCCL ships for kids.  I would assume they think they have everyone's needs covered.  

I posted it this afternoon. It says from nassau and seattle. I read to the bottle of the policy on rcl site. No other usa ports are mentioned on the rcl site. The rcl policy does not say a policy other than seattle or nassau in faq. 

Here is the link I found googling rcl policy. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-covid-vaccine-to-cruise-what-counts-as-proof#:~:text=For sailings departing on or,to 12 years of age.

20210604_180638028.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

30 minutes ago, vintagegarage said:

Well said.. I agree completely.  I'm ready to sail now.  I don't care if everyone on the  ship is vaccinated or not.

How would you really feel if your cruise was cut short?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I posted it this afternoon. It says from nassau and seattle. I read to the bottle of the policy on rcl site. No other usa ports are mentioned on the rcl site. The rcl policy does not say a policy other than seattle or nassau in faq. 

20210604_180638028.jpeg

Gotcha.  Must have been the CEO then in his interview.  But again CEOs have said things and then changed their minds. 

Happily for my husband, myself, and our friends we are traveling with, the AOS summer Bahamas sailings are keeping their vaccination requirements — and their just released protocols for Bahamas sailings include no masks onboard for 16+/12+ or CocoCay.

Looks like we can enjoy our suite without added risk, and enjoy a mask free cruise to boot

• Like 9