Panama Canal Trip Reports or Blogs?

forgap

I’ve lost track of cancelled cruises during our year in Covid limbo.  After our January 2022 cruise around South America was cancelled, we decided to book San Diego to Miami on January 19th, 2022 which transits the Panama Canal.  To sweeten the deal, we can visit family in California before the cruise.  It was a relatively easy sell to my husband!  

I am very interested if anyone has a private or public trip report or blog they would be willing to share with me.  Part of the anticipation of a cruise is to steep myself in traveler’s impressions of the ports, the ship, the food, etc.   Although we are gold on Regent, this will be our first voyage on Explorer.  My impression is that the Central American ports leave a lot to be desired. 

Thank  you for you help!

Jennifer

DH and I have been through the Canal 2 1/2 time, but not on Regent.  But looking at some of my pictures, here are a couple of things that should still offered as an excursion.

Out of Porto Limon in costa Rica - we visited a sloth sanctuary which was very interesting.

One stop we went up a lookout where you got a great over view of the canal.

If you get a chance to visit a lock, that is very interesting.  The lock outside of Panama City has a museum and a simulator of driving a ship through the canal.

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend reading the book by David McCullough called "The Path Between the Seas" that gives some great details about how the Canal was done and finished.

I would do the canal again.

• Like 2

forgap:  

Four times doing the Transit.  Twice from Pacific to Carib; twice the other way.  Most-recent was June, 2018 aboard Navigator.  That was L.A. to NYC.  Our fifth was to be aboard Splendor at San Diego, March 14, 2020.  Transit to Miami during which we had planned to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.  But--------at least we got to San Diego and saw Splendor at dockside a few blocks from our hotel.  

So, 

Go to Page 72.  Title of Thread:  "FYI Navigator to Cancel Ports at Guatemala and Nicaragua."  I began "commenting" on several aspects of our last Canal transit while in Central American waters enroute to Panama City.   As is my custom, wandered off-Thread on numerous occasions; but the gist is there as to experiences involving Ports of Call, weather, local situations concerning natural events (volcanos and earthquakes), and human-caused situations such as civil unrest and revolution.  

Some, or all can be expected to come into play on any itinerary involving a Canal transit.  

Happy reading.  And, this most-certainly includes "The Path Between the Seas".  Took this book with us for a second, and third perusal during the voyage.  Your Guest Speaker will certainly refer to it, and read significant passages, during lectures.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

We did a Panama Canal crossing in March of 2019 on the Explorer. Check out our blog: vayacongringos.Wordpress.com and use the date feature to go to March 2019. We had a little family medical drama and Regent really came through for us. But besides that, my wife Stacy does a great job with pictures and descriptions. 

Edited by Jimmcdaniel

7 hours ago, forgap said:

we decided to book San Diego to Miami on January 19th, 2022 which transits the Panama Canal.

We also are on this cruise, using FCC's from canceled 2020 and 2021 cruises. look forward to meeting you. Maybe we can start a roll call.

We did the Canal in 2005 on Mariner and had the good fortune of having Terry Breen on board, her talks were great and her commentary as we transited was fabulous. That trip was in the other direction. We were able to anchor in Gatun Lake, and take excursions from there, including one where we swam in the lake and one up the Chagris river. Guess they don't do that anymore.

Second the above about the book "The Path Between the Seas". I plan to read it again before we go.

• Like 1

We were also scheduled to sail on the infamous March 14th cruise on Splendor out of San Diego. Got close, but no cigar!

Interesting history of that sailing….we originally booked the cruise on the Explorer. Then Splendor was introduced and everyone booked on Explorer was switched to Splendor. We were all so excited to sail on Splendor. Many long time Regent sailors were scheduled to be onboard. I forgot who decided to plan a “Bagels and Locks” breakfast while we were going through the Canal. One of the most eagerly anticipated cruises ever planned …..

We have sailed through the Panama Canal before, but couldn’t resist booking the latest offering on Explorer. We are on the January 3rd sailing. 
This time we will begin the cruise in Miami, back on Explorer. Maybe the second time will be the charm! 🤞🤞

sheila and Herb

Bellaggio Cruisers:  

I plead "Guilty" as to the Bagels and Lox in the Locks (Panama) initiative.  Broached this first with Cruise Director John Barron and the Food and Beverage Manager while aboard Explorer in September, 2019.  Both advised they were being transferred to Splendor in 2020 for its series of inaugural voyages.  As usual, John recognized the inherent wisdom of this Great Marketing Idea.  Tee-shirts and all.  So--

Followed-through with Regent staff at Miami a few months prior to what we anticipated would be boarding Splendor at San Diego on March 14th and finalizing plans for this ship-wide offering.  Alas.  Got to Regent's assigned hotel on March 13th.  That was as close as we got to Splendor, those Bagels, and the shirts.    

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Thinking about the Jan 3rd voyage. I know that the bow of the ship (ob lounge, forward outdoors) are the best viewing spots, but what about cabins....would be going east to west....is one side better than the other...or are both pretty much the same?

Mudhen:  

Have been in both port and starboard suites.  From best memory------

cannot recall any difference.  

Except for one transit when the weather was really awful, spent most of our time on deck and/or in an Observation Lounge  

GOARMY!

We booked port side going west to east so to see more land during cruise. Would do starboard going east to west for same reason. 
In the canal it doesn’t matter as you will likely be on deck or in observation lounge most of the time.  

Gilly, thank you!  I found your LA to Miami blog on your website and binged on it!   Now I have another binge.    Love your point of view!  

jennifer

Edited by forgap
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 11:28 PM, forgap said:

Gilly, thank you!  I found your LA to Miami blog on your website and binged on it!   Now I have another binge.    Love your point of view!  

jennifer

Jennifer, oh my word, I'd have thought you'd have had enough of my wittering!!  I'm sorry, I didn't spot that you were the OP asking the question...    

How much are we all looking forward to having some new adventures to blog about, eh?!

3 hours ago, Gilly said:

Jennifer, oh my word, I'd have thought you'd have had enough of my wittering!!  I'm sorry, I didn't spot that you were the OP asking the question...    

How much are we all looking forward to having some new adventures to blog about, eh?!

I love your writing and your approach to travel.   Yes, I am anticipating new adventures!   The year in limbo has taken its toll and now I am like a drunken sailor booking cruises.  We have the Panama Canal in January, Istanbul to Athens (cruising the Black Sea with a pre cruise to Cappadocia) in May, then tromso to Reykjavik on Silversea in august.  Whew!  I guess our goal is not to have a penny in the bank when we cross over to the other side!  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, forgap said:

The year in limbo has taken its toll and now I am like a drunken sailor booking cruises.  We have the Panama Canal in January, Istanbul to Athens (cruising the Black Sea with a pre cruise to Cappadocia) in May, then tromso to Reykjavik on Silversea in august.  Whew!  I guess our goal is not to have a penny in the bank when we cross over to the other side!  

I like your approach!  We have a few cruises in the bag as well - a North Cape one on Explorer, a round trip Tokyo and a western Med.  But we have to be patient for now and wait till things are more settled.  We just cancelled a week with family in Sicily for early July - too many tests and uncertainties to go ahead with that - but plan a week and a bit heading north to Scotland in August on a UK road trip, which I'm telling myself will be just like the Oregon Trail!   Checking off North Dakota will have to wait another year...

• Like 2