Hoping Silversea isn’t included

Arlopop

1 minute ago, Arlopop said:

Part of the reason we chose Silversea was the vax requirement

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article251909713.html

Hi, I think Silversea knows its demographic and will not be changing the procedures they have in place.

Even though SS is now part of Royal, I  would think they will keep the policies in place.  Actually, I would be quite surprised if they lax up on them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I think Silversea knows its demographic and will not be changing the procedures they have in place.

Even though SS is now part of Royal, I  would think they will keep the policies in place.  Actually, I would be quite surprised if they lax up on them. 

My concern is less that we get sick (we are fully dosed) but rather that someone unvaxed gets ill, forcing us into quarantine, limiting ports, cutting short the cruise, and all the other attendant complications.

• Like 6

I understand folks are looking at what Royal is doing.....I just think SS is a different animal.....maybe I am just being naïve? I know folks on here don't normally discuss $$$...but in this case.......for what one pays to sail with SS, I think they will want it to be as safe as humanly possible. (And I realize money is not the point.....). Health is......and I am fully vaxxed too.

I really think they are going to keep "everyone needs to be vaccinated" in place.

I think Royal's policy-making is dominated by their heavy reliance on families with children.  This means that if they try the fully-vaccinated route they will fail to meet the 95% threshold – so they must go the other route.  Celebrity and Silversea are not dependent of the family trade so they will find it easier (and safer) to take the vax approach – and this will provide a much more 'normal' cruise experience with great reviews that encourage more bookings!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think Royal's policy-making is dominated by their heavy reliance on families with children.  This means that if they try the fully-vaccinated route they will fail to meet the 95% threshold – so they must go the other route.  Celebrity and Silversea are not dependent of the family trade so they will find it easier (and safer) to take the vax approach – and this will provide a much more 'normal' cruise experience with great reviews that encourage more bookings!

You said it better than I could.......that is exactly why Royal is doing what they are doing.  I really think SS will keep doing what they are doing.  I hope my $ comment did not offend or off put anyone. That was not my intention.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I hope you are right.  I just booked a cruise with Silversea yesterday knowing they are requiring vaccinations and will be disappointed if that changes. 

• Like 1

Isn't it the case that Florida forbids requiring proof of vaccination and levies heft fines if proof is required?  This would of course apply only to Florida departures, and it may have been changed.  But it is IMHO a crazy law.  Can't a business -- a bar, a spa, a restaurant, a cruise line -- implement policies that it deems prudent?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Observer said:

Isn't it the case that Florida forbids requiring proof of vaccination and levies heft fines if proof is required?  This would of course apply only to Florida departures, and it may have been changed.  But it is IMHO a crazy law.  Can't a business -- a bar, a spa, a restaurant, a cruise line -- implement policies that it deems prudent?

You would think so........that would be the logical way of thinking but it seems we have issues here in this state😲.  

• Like 4

Will Royal pax be allowed to visit ports?  What will happen if there is an outbreak?  With everybody on Facebook and Twitter, we'll know immediately if there are cases.  Are they masking and social distancing?  Quaranteening in your cabin if positive?  They say they will be testing.  Wait til they have to deny boarding to people who test positive at the pier.  

Does anyone know how full these sailings are?

And, real life #'s of infections happening on a ships ( Greek cruises) with 100% vaxxed passengers and the Royal sailings out of Florida with no requirement. Will be very interesting. 

Are the pax who booked under the 95% vaxxed scenario allowed to cancel? I too, think it was hard for Royal to reach that 95% number if they were allowing kids on without having to be vaccinated.  

So many questions.

I have no clue what Royal is doing.......I don't follow their board but I am sure there are multiple threads over there from folks who are on the new sailings.  There is someone on the Celebrity board who is on today's sailing from St Martin who is doing a "live from".  I know the Royal Board is massive and so there will probably be multiple people posting with lots of answers.

5 hours ago, Arlopop said:

My concern is less that we get sick (we are fully dosed) but rather that someone unvaxed gets ill, forcing us into quarantine, limiting ports, cutting short the cruise, and all the other attendant complications.

There are therapeutics available today, if someone does get a confirmed infection. That will change the game as well,  and should prevent cruise terminations or lost ports. But this may take time to be part of the currently established protocol. 

• Like 1

Just a morning update......there are quite a few folks who are VERY upset with Royal for doing this and are cancelling cruises.  Those are Royal Cruisers.  Celebrity cruisers  are wondering if they are going to change policy too.  Looks like all of us who signed up for fully vaccinated cruises want to sail on fully vaccinated ships.  (AS IT SHOULD BE)

• Like 5

I am wondering what cruise lines will end up with as ports of call if those ports will allow only fully vaccinated ships to visit. Maybe Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival and others sailing from Florida with large capacity ships will be limited to islands they own staffed by their own employees? Or maybe such desperately poor countries which are so keen on port fees and/or incapable of/unwilling to protect their own people from any new virus introductions? And for what? 

I cannot imagine how senior cruise line executives can negotiate itineraries and port permissions if they are not able to represent the vaccination status of their guests. These executives, like most of us who are fully vaccinated, took a lot for granted. We naively believed that all the major US cruise ports would be so keen to support the industry that 100% vaccinated and documented passengers would be a requirement.

One thing is for sure. You won’t catch me on any of those ships. Ridiculous. Clearly, to me at least,, something will have to give.

Happy and healthy sailing-  on any cruise line that offers this measure of sensible protection and safety!

Edited by markham
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, markham said:

One thing is for sure. You won’t catch me on any of those ships. Ridiculous. Clearly, to me at least,, something will have to give.

Happy and healthy sailing-  on any cruise line that offers this measure of sensible protection and safety!

Agreed.

I believe Lois is correct, with a demographic predominantly over 60 I can't imagine Silversea will allow people who aren't vaccinated.   There is near unanimous consent in the luxury cruise threads that a vaccine requirement is mandatory to sail.

40 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I believe Lois is correct, with a demographic predominantly over 60 I can't imagine Silversea will allow people who aren't vaccinated.   There is near unanimous consent in the luxury cruise threads that a vaccine requirement is mandatory to sail.

I am disturbed by the possible implications for Silversea of the Florida law forbidding any business's requiring proof of immunization. 

But, on reflection, I wonder if it is such an issue.  There is currently no universally acceptable means of verifying immunization.  CDC cards can be easily forged (or purchased?).  So the proof of immunization one might present could be bogus.

In any case, I imagine that even if no proof of immunization is required, nearly all SS passengers who are medically qualified would have received the vaccine.  And, as was pointed out in a previous post, therapeutics are hugely better now, implying that the shipboard situations experienced at the beginning of the pandemic will not return.

• Like 1

I doubt that fake ID's is going to be much of an issue with Silversea guests.  A Yankee game? sure

19 hours ago, Arlopop said:

Arlopop raises many of my concerns.    In addition I'm not certain that if you get off the ship and test positive coming back you are getting back on.  Even if you have no symptoms.   This could be a nightmare.

What is not good enough? 90% vaccinated or planning to be vaccinated.

This is what Michael Bayley, pres and CEO of RCI, says is the situation on their ship sailings out of Miami starting in July- as reported in CNN Travel today online.

I also see there that their Seattle-starting cruises will have 100% vaccinated passengers.

For my money 100% > 90%, and bear in mind that no one needs to go on a cruise. They generally do so for relaxation and take for granted standards of hygiene. 

If this is a Florida thing, then Caribbean cruises might as well start elsewhere. Seabourn is operating them out of Bridgetown and St Maarten. If not there, maybe closer to Miami San Juan? 

This gap in full vaccination compliance is bad for business and bad for us. Just another hang up of mine.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Why does everyone still ignore the role for current know therapeutics? Why 100% "vaccinations" or else?

Because the real issue isn't on the ship, it's the reaction of port authorities.  If the ship is 100% vaxed, most ports will be open to it.  If not, the rules may change daily even after you set sail.  And if 1 person tests positive on board, who knows what each port will say?  Nothing is perfect, but 100% vaxed is the closest and safest we can come – so why not?

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Why does everyone still ignore the role for current know therapeutics? Why 100% "vaccinations" or else?

Its my understanding on most cruise lines if you contract Covid you are getting off the ship at the next port. I would guess you are either going to a hospital or quarantine facility/hotel.  They aren't giving you therapeutics on the ship.  So you want 100% of your fellow passengers to be vaccinated so you don't get it.

• Like 1

This from a slightly different prospective.  We live on a tiny Caribbean Island with tight protocols for the few tourists we have.  This has enabled us all to have a near normal life as possible.  From next week we will be having mega cruise ships calling.  With the previous 95% to 100% vaccinated passenger rule although generally we were uneasy the main concern would be the unvaccinated children.  With this new ruling we are extremely concerned although it looks like the Government will still allow the ships.  We have no COVID within the community but soon will have.  Generally our revenue, circa 60%,  comes from the financial services industry and the rest from land or yacht based tourists.  It is questionable that the risk is acceptable.  I have noticed that Seabourn will be bringing in fully vaccinated ships in July, we're not expecting many or any children then, we would welcome them to our Islands, but the big ships, perhaps not.
Miss Merry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So you book a cruise with a non-refundable deposit on a ship because vaccinations are required. Now the cruise line decides they have changed their mind, and you no longer want to go.  You are almost certainly out the amount of the deposit. Likely no small sum to many RCL passengers.

As far as I know travel insurance policies will not cover this.