So the states can mandate the rules?

With Florida being at the forefront of proof of vaccinations not being required and the State of Washington requiring vaccinations does the state set the rules for RCCL to sail from each state? What comes to mind what does New Jersey and Maryland do now? The seemed to have more Covid restrictions in place than Florida did. I can see NJ wanting proof of vaccines and maybe as well as Maryland.

Edited by Demongear
  • Like 1

I think you’re skipping over who wants/needs to do what.  RCCL wants to abide by the rules/guidance issued by CDC to resume cruising and that includes, to some extent, vaccinations.

Florida government doesn’t seem to want to permit a vax requirement and hence a lawsuit bound to fail.

Other states have no such silliness on the books yet so no real conflict exists.

• Like 3

The sad news is NJ and Maryland and their cruisers may have to utilize a word for just a little longer...Patience.  

Hopefully with so much activity going on now, their answers will be known in the next couple of weeks.

I under stand the CDC is developing a simple set of rules, where they have consulted Doctoral Calculus Mathematicians, the map of the NYC subway system, the flowchart of US Government cash flows, Nostradamus, the Oracle at Delphi, IRS lawyers, and the ghost of Future Christmas to create one simple final set of rules for the states and cruise lines to follow. Should only take them a few more weeks.....

Eddie

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

There are obviously going to be problems for the first few months when cruises start again.  I have three cruises booked, with the first one in late February of 2022.  Hopefully, all the bugs will be worked out of the system by then.  I have been vaccinated and will gladly show proof if required.  I will also sail on a cruise if vaccinations are not required.  I just don't want to go on a cruise if face masks are required while on board, can't see myself hanging out by the pool and socializing with a mask on.  If masks are required, I will postpone the cruise. 

• Like 4

On 6/6/2021 at 8:17 AM, coldflame said:

Airports don't work the same way as sea ports do. Once past the DHS security checkpoint, in the "international zone" passengers are in federal jurisdiction, not under state jurisdiction. So airlines can freely request vax cards prior to boarding.

Airlines enforce the requirements of your destination country. For example, we are on an Adventure cruise out of Nassau. My airlines requires that I upload my vax card, my passport, my Bahama health visa, and answer online health screening questions,,, before they allow me to check-in. 

The Bahamas requires me to upload my passport, vax card, and pay for COVID health insurance for the duration of our cruise out of the Bahamas. That gets you a Bahamas health visa. 

Royal requires me to provide my vax card, passport, Bahama health visa, answer health screening questions on the Royal app, and pass a physical health exam at check-in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity could just be looking to be fined, so that they then have standing to take this law to court.  Not a lawyer but I do believe that you have to be actually impacted, maybe even adversely impacted by a law before you can bring an action in court.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

Celebrity could just be looking to be fined, so that they then have standing to take this law to court.  Not a lawyer but I do believe that you have to be actually impacted, maybe even adversely impacted by a law before you can bring an action in court.

Very true.

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Airlines enforce the requirements of your destination country. For example, we are on an Adventure cruise out of Nassau. My airlines requires that I upload my vax card, my passport, my Bahama health visa, and answer online health screening questions,,, before they allow me to check-in. 

What airline is requiring you to upload your vax card and health visa?

On 6/6/2021 at 8:06 AM, deliver42 said:

I guess people that want to fly to Europe will have to drive to Atlanta first, because the airlines want vaccinated only on international flights. This can only happen in Florida with Mini Me as governor.

“Mini Me” has absolutely no control over airline vaccine requirements, domestic or international, except in his head. Just as he legally has no power to dictate a vaccine ban to the cruise lines. Each industry is engaged in international and interstate commerce, and the long arm of federal law applies. He will come to understand that when the cruise lines challenge him in court or simply sail on legal advice and disregard the “law”. My guess is though that the cruise lines are working with him to provide him with a graceful exit from this nonsense. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

“Mini Me” has absolutely no control over airline requirements, domestic or international, except in his head. Just as he legally has no power to dictate a vaccine ban to the cruise lines. Each industry is engaged in international and interstate commerce, and the long arm of federal law applies. He will come to understand that when the cruise lines challenge him in court or simply sail on legal advice and disregard the “law”. My guess is though that the cruise lines are working with him to provide him with a graceful exit from this nonsense. 

The cruise lines seem to be taking their time going to court.... look at Florida suing the CDC... when did they start that?... back in April.... even the injunction hasn't been decided yet... and it is nearly July. So I think that the cruise lines must be working through some options with the Gov. to avoid having to go to court... seems to me if they go that route..you can write off July and Aug ...at the very least... then we are in the height of hurricane season. 

Some thoughts 1) delay fines allowing cruises to test out vaccinated cruises for ..say 5 months 

2) allow cruises to offer incentive for those who present vaccination cards... perhaps discount on choice of beverage package or spa (provide enough options to cover most vaccinated people, or charge nonvaccinated for costs associated with periodic tests during the cruise... or

3) if there are any islands requiring vaccinated or negative tests results... ie Bahamas... get Florida to concede that the cruise lines will have to know who is vaccinated in order to allow docking there...

but what happens if vaccine cards are fake??? 4) put something in contract that if you contract covid on the ship the cruise line has the right to look at medical records to confirm vaccination and if not vaccinated... all costs for care, isolation, transportation home is paid for by the passenger...

I am not a lawyer and this may be obvious by my ideas... but there needs to be a breakthrough and soon. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Montana, Texas, South Carolina and South Dakota have vaccine passport ban laws. 

Aren't there something like 23 states with or working on bans?

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 8:06 AM, deliver42 said:

I guess people that want to fly to Europe will have to drive to Atlanta first, because the airlines want vaccinated only on international flights. This can only happen in Florida with Mini Me as governor.

Really?  Since when did you need a vaccine to get on an international flight?  I have been on two of them already, and there is no such rule.  Don't get confused with what a country wants the flight is going to.  Stop the false reporting.....vaccines are not required

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Montana, Texas, South Carolina and South Dakota have vaccine passport ban laws. 

You left out Alabama, and Lousianna has one in the works. Many states have partial passport bans that you didn't list. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

The cruise lines seem to be taking their time going to court.... look at Florida suing the CDC... when did they start that?... back in April.... even the injunction hasn't been decided yet... and it is nearly July. So I think that the cruise lines must be working through some options with the Gov. to avoid having to go to court... seems to me if they go that route..you can write off July and Aug ...at the very least... then we are in the height of hurricane season. 

Some thoughts 1) delay fines allowing cruises to test out vaccinated cruises for ..say 5 months 

2) allow cruises to offer incentive for those who present vaccination cards... perhaps discount on choice of beverage package or spa (provide enough options to cover most vaccinated people, or charge nonvaccinated for costs associated with periodic tests during the cruise... or

3) if there are any islands requiring vaccinated or negative tests results... ie Bahamas... get Florida to concede that the cruise lines will have to know who is vaccinated in order to allow docking there...

but what happens if vaccine cards are fake??? 4) put something in contract that if you contract covid on the ship the cruise line has the right to look at medical records to confirm vaccination and if not vaccinated... all costs for care, isolation, transportation home is paid for by the passenger...

I am not a lawyer and this may be obvious by my ideas... but there needs to be a breakthrough and soon. 

They have not incurred any actual damages so court action will be delayed. It will not be just the fines they can claim as damages either. I believe they will be able to claim damages for all lost profits from and other damages incurred in having to cancel any such cruises.

The Florida lawsuit against the CDC is not really delayed. It is proceeding according to practice, it’s just that no decision has been made as to the preliminary injunctive relief sought by the state. At this juncture that relief, in my opinion, will likely be denied. 

If a particular country were to require vaccinations, those ships would need to certify that before sailing. The State of Florida could not prevent that. 

I believe vaccinated sailings will proceed from Florida. A resolution will be found. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

My advice.....Please if you are afraid......and are still hiding......even with a vaccine......stay away, stay home......the rest of us will go on the cruise and you can wait another 2-3 years in hiding

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!    👍👍

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks, beat me to it. Knew was many more with all or partial Bans

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

My advice.....Please if you are afraid......and are still hiding......even with a vaccine......stay away, stay home......the rest of us will go on the cruise and you can wait another 2-3 years in hiding

We are not afraid of cruising. We just don't want our 7-day Bahamas cruise to end after three days because unvaccinated people caught COVID and the ship had to return to port. 

Jonathan

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I believe vaccinated sailings will proceed from Florida. A resolution will be found. 

Vaccinated sailings will proceed from Florida whether a resolution is found or not.

• Like 4

There is NO such thing as a vaccine "passport".  Nothing ever issued by the US Government.  Nothing ever issued by any other nation.

What is being talked about here is being required to show proof of vaccination.  The only proof, other than from your lips, is the card or paper you get from the facility where you get vaccinated that says you have a vaccination.  This may also be shared with your medical provider if you got a shot in another place. 

But here's nothing "legal/official" about these pieces of paper.  A government entity cannot compile a list of vaccinated people to share with the public.  These pieces of paper can be easily be counterfeited and indeed there are reports you can buy on off Craig Lists or eBay.

Some states are opting for the privacy of individuals versus a dictatorial mandate to show some form of proof to enter a business or attend an event.

Simply get he vaccine and then you won't have to worry about testing positive or catching it from someone.