Absolutely Disgusted by Royal Caribbean

36 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Personally, I would prefer to cruise on a ship with fully vaccinated or 95% vaccinated.  However, perhaps Royal's policies on "unvaccinated" cruises will be to entertain families with children under 12.

Also, I understand that Royal will have specific controls for unvaccinated that will discourage their cruising.  I would like to wait and see what Royal's controls for the unvaccinated will be.

I don’t think you should assume that the unvaccinated on board will be only children under 16/12 (depending on date of sailing) or that RCI will find some way to manage separate protocols for vaccinated and unvaccinated cruisers. It is more likely than not that all passengers will be subject to all protocols for ease of policing.  In addition, Richard Fain specifically referenced not only children but unvaccinated persons with medical contraindications or religious objections, which is a Pandora’s Box of trouble. Finally, RCI will not be verifying vaccine status, so either they rely on the “honor system” (cough) or they just treat everyone the same. Won’t that be fun?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That is correct, but really find it hard to figure out how they are realistically going to differentiate between vaccinated and unvaccinated in real time.

This would be my approach:

Use SeaPass cards with a different color for vaccinated passengers.

Adapt their current guest photo system so that vaccinated passenger photos are easily identified as such, perhaps a colored border or an overlaid icon. (For those unaware every register everywhere on the ship pops up your registered photo when your SeaPass card is scanned.)

Get wristbands that have a mechanism for identifying they've been removed. All vaccinated passengers can choose to wear a wristband to qualify for relaxed protocols. Any vaccinated passenger needing a replacement armband can get one at Guest Services (and/or elsewhere) by showing their SeaPass card.

Anyone making a transaction anywhere aboard ship who is wearing a wristband without being vaccinated, which could be identified when using a SeaPass card that does not show the passenger status as vaccinated will be identified/brought to security, be confined to their cabin, and removed from the ship at the next port, and possibly not allowed to sail again with Royal Caribbean. (i.e., don't try to scam by stealing a used/removed wristband).

Systems already in place for reservations at shows can similarly confirm vaccination status at scan points when entering the venue to check wristband usage/mask protocols.

Suitable penalties can exist for violating protocols, especially after warning from prior violations.

I suppose you could try to reverse that and make the unvaccinated wear something identifying, but that becomes harder to verify passively. Though with suitable penalties if discovered, perhaps it would still work.

And they always could simply resort to third-world voting protocols. Dip a particular finger in a permanent ink that takes many days to fade away.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I thought Royal waived the vaccine requirements on Adventure, and now have to deal with the protocols

No the vaccine requirements are still there... actually expanded to those 12 and over beginning Aug 1... It is the Bahamas that does not require vaccinations to enter...but does want non-vaccinated to have been tested

29 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I find it extremely difficult to discuss the subject at hand and not refer to that silly law in Florida.

Silly in your opinion. And others, I get it. 

But some folks support it. Actually a lot. 

But they probably don't cruise😉

• Like 3

2 hours ago, catlady66 said:

The fully vaccinated golfer who was leading by 6 strokes yesterday tested positive & had to withdraw. Remind me again why people are getting vaccinated? 

Seriously, if you need to ask that question then you have not been listening or paying attention. SMH.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Silly in your opinion. And others, I get it. 

But some folks support it. Actually a lot. 

But they probably don't cruise😉

They will be on the Royal July and Aug cruises 🙂 

37 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Then get over your fear or cancel. 

I agree. You should get over your fear of being vaccinated. Be a big boy, roll up your sleeve, and accept the little jab. Then come cruise with the rest of us who have been vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Adapt their current guest photo system so that vaccinated passenger photos are easily identified as such, perhaps a colored border or an overlaid icon. (For those unaware every register everywhere on the ship pops up your registered photo when your SeaPass card is scanned.)

Get wristbands that have a mechanism for identifying they've been removed. All vaccinated passengers can choose to wear a wristband to qualify for relaxed protocols. Any vaccinated passenger needing a replacement armband can get one at Guest Services (and/or elsewhere) by showing their SeaPass card.

Anyone making a transaction anywhere aboard ship who is wearing a wristband without being vaccinated, which could be identified when using a SeaPass card that does not show the passenger status as vaccinated will be identified/brought to security, be confined to their cabin, and removed from the ship at the next port, and possibly not allowed to sail again with Royal Caribbean. (i.e., don't try to scam by stealing a used/removed wristband).

Systems already in place for reservations at shows can similarly confirm vaccination status at scan points when entering the venue to check wristband usage/mask protocols.

Suitable penalties can exist for violating protocols, especially after warning from prior violations.

I suppose you could try to reverse that and make the unvaccinated wear something identifying, but that becomes harder to verify passively. Though with suitable penalties if discovered, perhaps it would still work.

And they always could simply resort to third-world voting protocols. Dip a particular finger in a permanent ink that takes many days to fade away.

Interesting approach... it would have to be very subtle...so as not to appear like some North Korean cruise 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

No.  That’s the ironic part. Everyone 16 and over has to be vaccinated. Reduced capacity and NO protocols for vaccinated folks.  Children under 16 must be masked indoors. 

Pretty sure I've read posts by folks booked on Adventure that are up in arms about dropping vaccine requirements. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That is correct, but really find it hard to figure out how they are realistically going to differentiate between vaccinated and unvaccinated in real time.

They won’t.  Can you imagine trying to police that circus?  What? Every time you see a crew member you have to flash your pre-approved armband, while the same crew member tries to chase down the unvaccinated person not flashing the appropriate armband and not wearing a mask? 😂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I thought Royal waived the vaccine requirements on Adventure, and now have to deal with the protocols

We have friends booked on Adventure. Vaccinations still required. Since at least 95% of the passengers are vaccinated, masking (except for children under 16) and social distancing are not required.  This is from Royal's website this afternoon:

Vaccine Requirement
For Cruises Departing from Seattle or The Bahamas:

Guests age 16 and older departing from Seattle and Nassau, Bahamas on Serenade of the Seas®, Ovation of the Seas® or Adventure of the Seas® 2021 cruises must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at time of sailing. Starting August 1, the age requirement for vaccination changes from 16 to 12 years of age. Guests under the age of this requirement don’t need to be vaccinated and will receive a SARS-Cov-2 test before boarding. Booked guests will be provided details of travel requirements prior to sailing.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Ankle bracelets😱

• Haha 1

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Pretty sure I've read posts by folks booked on Adventure that are up in arms about dropping vaccine requirements. 

I think what people are up in arms over is they dropped the vaccine requirement age from 18 to 16.  Have a friend going on the 12th and the vaccine requirement is still very much in place. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lr657 said:

We have friends booked on Adventure. Vaccinations still required. Since at least 95% of the passengers are vaccinated, masking (except for children under 16) and social distancing are not required.  This is from Royal's website this afternoon:

Vaccine Requirement
For Cruises Departing from Seattle or The Bahamas:

Guests age 16 and older departing from Seattle and Nassau, Bahamas on Serenade of the Seas®, Ovation of the Seas® or Adventure of the Seas® 2021 cruises must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at time of sailing. Starting August 1, the age requirement for vaccination changes from 16 to 12 years of age. Guests under the age of this requirement don’t need to be vaccinated and will receive a SARS-Cov-2 test before boarding. Booked guests will be provided details of travel requirements prior to sailing.

The Nassau departures of Adventure of the Seas are all vaccinated 16 and older; and departures on August 1 and later require all passengers 12 and over be vaccinated. 

All the nonsense of allowing non-vaccinated passengers who could otherwise be vaccinated aboard are for the planned US sailings.

Some are still hopeful that NJ, MD and MA port departures may show some sense and retain the vaccination requirement for a period of time appropriate.

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

dswallow... do you have the link to the protocols for the AOS June sailing... I couldn't find it. 

The vaccine requirements are still in place and they have two sets of protocols..one for vaccinated everyone over 12 or 16 and for unvaccinated... the rest of the children. But this is out of Bahamas...so not CDC...but probably similar.. 

10 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Will vaxxed passengers have some sort of VISIBLE TO ALL identification so they do not have to mask and abide by other safety protocols? That is the ONLY way to deal with this. Giving some sort of ID for un-vaxxed passengers will certainly not work because they will most certainly not wear the ID and you know that is the truth.

Maybe a big red U stitched to their clothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

They are up in arms about sharing one of their Coco Kay days with Freedom an "unvacinated ship."

Edited by mauraoel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, kearney said:

dswallow... do you have the link to the protocols for the AOS June sailing... I couldn't find it. 

The vaccine requirements are still in place and they have two sets of protocols..one for vaccinated everyone over 12 or 16 and for unvaccinated... the rest of the children. But this is out of Bahamas...so not CDC...but probably similar.. 

Already posted

1 minute ago, kearney said:

Getting Ready to Cruise | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

• Like 2