Post-Covid Buffets on Norwegian Ships

Hi All!

Was curious if anyone has any knowledge, or if anything has been released or seen, in regards to how buffet venues will be done on the NCL Ships.

Lounges at most airport lounges went to pre-packaged and wrapped foods and was awful; I am hoping the ships will not go this route but am curious if anyone has any insight. Thanks! 

Actually I DID find a brief article - https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24790-norwegian-cruise-line-s-buffet-will-be-all-you-can-eat-but-with-service.html

Hopefully this changes back later in the year. 

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Have you watched the NCL videos where Frank talks about how they will work?

https://www.ncl.com/embark-series

Looks like this may be what the article above talks about. I'll watch it. Thanks!

2 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Honestly I kind of hope they switch buffets to a service/cafeteria style in general going forward and not only on cruises. Buffets have always grossed me out a little, way too many people grabbing stuff with their bare hands 

Bah.  Other than shared serving utensils, I really don't get what you're worried about.  Of course, that same hand that just touched my shared serving utensil also touched the rail in the stairway, and the button in the elevator, and .....  Are you really afraid of living in this world while touching something that somebody else has touched?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

Bah.  Other than shared serving utensils, I really don't get what you're worried about.  Of course, that same hand that just touched my shared serving utensil also touched the rail in the stairway, and the button in the elevator, and .....  Are you really afraid of living in this world while touching something that somebody else has touched?

I can tell you have no experience  in the Medical field..

• Like 11

5 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

I don't mind people touching food if they put that food on their plate. Too many times I've seen people, young and old pick up something from the buffet, take a sniff and put it back. 

• Like 4

The current CDC guidance on the Conditional Sail Order says that they recommend not allowing self-service in buffets, but it's not required for 95% vaccinated cruises. NCL has said they will not allow self-service buffets, but that was before the updated CDC guidance, so it is unclear if they will change back.

• Like 2

I'm a Doubting Thomas, while I believe initially all those safeguards will be in place it will be interesting to see how long it will last.

We were on the Epic when news broke of the Corona Virus outbreak on the Diamond Princess.  Almost immediately on our ship sanitation became a priority.  You no longer served yourself in the buffet and you didn't even get your own plate, it was handed to you as you walked in.  That is until the last day, that's when the buffet went back to normal.  It was almost as if their attitudes was, you're leaving tomorrow so it you come down with an illness you'll be off the ship.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

The current CDC guidance on the Conditional Sail Order says that they recommend not allowing self-service in buffets, but it's not required for 95% vaccinated cruises. NCL has said they will not allow self-service buffets, but that was before the updated CDC guidance, so it is unclear if they will change back.

I doubt they will change it back for a while, there are other non covid benefits to not having self service, one being a decrease in noro cases and probably less food being wasted.  It's one of the easier protocols to adopt, they actually were doing it on my last cruise which was in Jan 2020.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

Shared serving utensils are totally fine, the problem is the people who ignore them. It’s also a cultural thing, for example some Europeans think Americans are crazy for washing their hands a lot and sanitizing everything. 

• Like 1

Actually I guess I see the value/non issue if it's cafeteria style and you walk up with a plate, or just point to what you want and are handed a small pre portioned plate. I was worried we'd go to the packaged food route, but if it's still a hot open buffet I don't see much of an issue.

Thank you all! Saling the Joy in October 19, which I think is the first scheduled trip for that ship - really cool! Hopefully everything continues to open up and there aren't any weird protocols due to covid by then.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 11:05 AM, mpdog42 said:

I can tell you have no experience  in the Medical field..

Well I do and I have to say CaptainWoody is making a point. 

Edited by Phil265
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2021 at 12:42 AM, CaptainWoody said:

I'm certainly not afraid but when I touch things in high touch areas I use my hand sanitizer almost immediately.  I carry a ball point pen for pushing buttons elevator buttons and key pads.  I never touch railings anymore.  As I type this only 52% of adult Americans have been fully vaccinated so I still take a lot of precautions.

If the buffets are open and the staff is serving...I'm more than OK with that...frankly I would prefer if it was always that way. (A couple times on sailings with noro that was the protocol adapted)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil265 said:

Well I do and I have to say CaptainWoody is making a point. 

Yeah I bet you were top of the class at John Hopkins..

Edited by mpdog42
ADD
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Yeah I bet you were top of the class at John Hopkins..

someone getting a little moody? Nah, not John Hopkins, did you? I don‘t live in the US. I did go to medical school tho. So how about you tell me something about that „Medical field“ that I don‘t already know. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Phil265 said:

someone getting a little moody? Nah, not John Hopkins, did you? I don‘t live in the US. I did go to medical school tho. So how about you tell me something about that „Medical field“ that I don‘t already know. 

Thanks @Phil265  Since you called this guy out, I don't have to.  😎

On 6/7/2021 at 4:14 AM, Laszlo said:

I don't mind people touching food if they put that food on their plate. Too many times I've seen people, young and old pick up something from the buffet, take a sniff and put it back. 

Really?  I'm sure it has happened, but I've never seen it (and I have spent a lot of time in the buffets).  What are these things that they pick up and sniff?  Hot dogs?  Slices of pizza?  Rice and vegatables?  Scrambled eggs?  I guess I would have to see that.  That said, I'm all for having staff serve the food but for entirely different reasons.  Have you ever been in a buffet line before somebody who literally takes two minutes to get a single spoonful of something onto their plate?  It gets painful at times.  Having staff slop in onto the plate in a matter of seconds will make the whole thing go much quicker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

First Big Ship To Cruise

See the photo about half way down the article of the buffet.  Looks pretty good to me.

Is that dragon fruit on the left?

The videos I’ve seen from the European cruises have shown buffets that look the same as always in terms of selection. It’s just that crew members handle the serving utensils. They are polite enough to not look alarmed at, for example, just how many hash browns a single person attempts to consume at breakfast. 

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2021 at 1:42 AM, CaptainWoody said:

I was a waitress in college. We sometimes had to refill the soap and paper towels in the bathrooms. The soap and paper towels in the men’s room almost never needed refilling. I asked my husband about this, and he confirmed that at work, many men exit the restroom without washing their hands. I am also a mom of two boys. So yeah, I am grossed out by shared serving utensils. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1