Vaccine Required! For July in Galveston

19cruiser59

1 minute ago, jfunk138 said:

The business has been very clear that they are not deciding on this policy voluntarily.  It is being forced upon them by another government entity.  

In a free market, Carnival has clearly stated their preference for not requiring vaccination.

I respectfully disagree, I think they have indicated they do not like it, are working to change it, but have no other option in the short term

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Branman said:

I'm sure Carnival would love to cruise with unvaccinated guests. I'm sure the vast majority of vaccinated guests wouldn't care if unvaccinated guests joined them IF the protocols for sailing didn't necessitate doing anything drastic if anyone tests positive for Covid.

It basically comes down to, I (as someone who is vaccinated) don't want to spend money on a cruise that:

• Requires masks and/or social distancing for vaccinated passengers.
  • Is denied entry to ports in the event that someone tests positive for Covid.
  • Requires a quarantine period for whatever reason.
  • Any other randomness that causes a cruise to go south for entirely predictable reasons.

Fundamentally, this all comes down to sovereign counties using their rights to deny entry to anyone who is positive or exposed to Covid. If we ever get to a point where someone comes down with Covid, and we can still dock in a port, then let's bring on the unvaccinated people. We can talk all day about how unvaccinated kids aren't at risk, but that probably has zero influence on a port's decision to let a ship that has a confirmed case of Covid on board to dock and unload guests.

There is a HUGE difference between requiring proof of vaccination for exercising your rights in your home country vs requiring proof of vaccination before being allowed into a foreign country. 

Yet, none of Carnival's Caribbean destinations or Mexico has required any proof of vaccination.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Another twitter user that should be allowed to "view only".  I mean really "kicked out of florida"??? wheres he get that from?  

We may end up with the most sailings! Time to build/expand California cruise ports! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

Yet, none of Carnival's Caribbean destinations or Mexico has required any proof of vaccination.

They require a negative test within a certain timeframe. So for instance, Honduras requires a negative test less than 72 hours before your entry. If you are on a cruise out of Galveston on a reverse itinerary (Coz->Belize->Roatan), that will need to be a test conducted onboard. If someone tests positive on the ship at that point, then I'm pretty sure the whole cruise gets derailed and is unable to dock in Roatan. 

18 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The Texas law doesn't take effect until August.

It takes effect immediately upon signature if both Houses passed it with 2/3 majority. It appears House passed it with 2/3 but I can't find anything on the Senate vote. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Branman said:

I'm sure Carnival would love to cruise with unvaccinated guests. I'm sure the vast majority of vaccinated guests wouldn't care if unvaccinated guests joined them IF the protocols for sailing didn't necessitate doing anything drastic if anyone tests positive for Covid.

It basically comes down to, I (as someone who is vaccinated) don't want to spend money on a cruise that:

• Requires masks and/or social distancing for vaccinated passengers.
  • Is denied entry to ports in the event that someone tests positive for Covid.
  • Requires a quarantine period for whatever reason.
  • Any other randomness that causes a cruise to go south for entirely predictable reasons.

Fundamentally, this all comes down to sovereign counties using their rights to deny entry to anyone who is positive or exposed to Covid. If we ever get to a point where someone comes down with Covid, and we can still dock in a port, then let's bring on the unvaccinated people. We can talk all day about how unvaccinated kids aren't at risk, but that probably has zero influence on a port's decision to let a ship that has a confirmed case of Covid on board to dock and unload guests.

There is a HUGE difference between requiring proof of vaccination for exercising your rights in your home country vs requiring proof of vaccination before being allowed into a foreign country. 

Agree with this analysis.

1 minute ago, Branman said:

They require a negative test within a certain timeframe. So for instance, Honduras requires a negative test less than 72 hours before your entry. If you are on a cruise out of Galveston on a reverse itinerary (Coz->Belize->Roatan), that will need to be a test conducted onboard. If someone tests positive on the ship at that point, then I'm pretty sure the whole cruise gets derailed and is unable to dock in Roatan. 

OK, but this is not what you stated in your post:

"requiring proof of vaccination before being allowed into a foreign country"

None of these Carnival destinations have required vaccination, and some are still requiring testing even if vaccinated.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Law does not take effect for 90 days, so cruise lines are going to take advantage of the windo of opportunity. 

It takes effect immediately if 2/3 of Texas Legis voted in favor. I see the House had a 2/3 vote but can't find anything re: the Senate vote.

• Like 1

Apologizes if I missed a post answering this question, but, here goes:

I thought the TX governor put forth a law banning companies from requiring vaccines. How did CCL get around this? Is it a bit less restrictive than Florida's law? I ask because I'm now thinking about booking in July, but don't want it to be canceled because they cannot get around the law. Thanks in advance!!

Just now, shellster1 said:

I thought the TX governor put forth a law banning companies from requiring vaccines. How did CCL get around this? Is it a bit less restrictive than Florida's law? I ask because I'm now thinking about booking in July, but don't want it to be canceled because they cannot get around the law. Thanks in advance!!

OMG I'm so embarrassed. I literally just read the previous post!! SORRY!!

Just now, shellster1 said:

He issued an EO in April (I believe) banning gov't agencies and any entity that receives public funding from requiring it, etc. Then the Texas legislature expanded that and included any company - public of private.

1 minute ago, shellster1 said:

Abbott only signed the bill today.  It's not entirely clear CCL has a workaround.  

I suspect some of the language in their announcement today is part of a plan with Abbott given the timing.  They made it very clear they preferred not to require vaccination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jfunk138 said:

OK, but this is not what you stated in your post:

"requiring proof of vaccination before being allowed into a foreign country"

None of these Carnival destinations have required vaccination, and some are still requiring testing even if vaccinated.

Fair point that I wasn't as clear as I could be. I mostly wanted to make the point that it is totally within a country's right to deny entry to anyone for any reason, and that includes proof of vaccination. We're not there yet, but I'm sure things are going to evolve rapidly to where vaccinations are required for international travel. We're seeing that right now with Europe, and I'm certain that most destination ports.

Like I just said, the key scenario is, what happens if someone on board tests positive for Covid? Do you continue with the cruise as planned? Probably not. If and when we get to the point where we just continue the cruise as planned, then let's bring on unvaccinated guests. 

1 minute ago, ChutChut said:

He issued an EO in April (I believe) banning gov't agencies and any entity that receives public funding from requiring it, etc. Then the Texas legislature expanded that and included any company - public of private.

Thanks for answering! Things are still so fluid. Maybe I'll just wait it out. ugh.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

Some of those destinations aren't even open. The rest require testing, and at least one does random testing when you show up. Some will let you skip testing with vaccination.

Just now, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

My suggestion to Carnival:

Damn the torpedos 

Go forward with your vaccinated cruises plans, and just hash it out in the courts.

It may come to that, sadly.  Maybe NCL, Royal, and/or Virgin will join them.

Just now, Honolulu Blue said:

It may come to that, sadly.  Maybe NCL, Royal, and/or Virgin will join them.

If the law doesn't go into effect for 90 days, then Carnival, etc. can cruise as it likes in Texas until then and bet protocols will be eased by September.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

If the law doesn't go into effect for 90 days, then Carnival, etc. can cruise as it likes in Texas until then and bet protocols will be eased by September.

Maybe.  I was actually talking about more than a lawsuit against Texas.  Florida and Alabama have similar restrictions and might need other lawsuits to clear those situations up.

12 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Looks like it is effective today, passed both the texas house and senate 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, txgranny said:

Looks like it is effective today, passed both the texas house and senate 

Abbott has not signed the bill into law, as of today.  At least according to Texas Legislature online. The Bill is awaiting his signature

Edited by Joe817

19 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Maybe.  I was actually talking about more than a lawsuit against Texas.  Florida and Alabama have similar restrictions and might need other lawsuits to clear those situations up.

and an injunction against taking effect until the courts have decided.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Outdated? In whose opinion? Armchair Admirals? Politicians? I suggest neither opinion carries any weight.

Not allowing indoor dining and until just recently outdoor mask wearing. Their research and guidance contradicts what they have required on cruises.