Vaccine Required! For July in Galveston

19cruiser59

59 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Some of those destinations aren't even open. The rest require testing, and at least one does random testing when you show up. Some will let you skip testing with vaccination.

Cozumel doesn’t have any kind of requirement. Cancun doesn’t either so I would bet costa Maya and progreso are the same. You only have to test before leaving because it’s required for re-entry to the United States. That’s a United States requirement not Mexico.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

Just now, Saint Greg said:

Cozumel doesn’t have any kind of requirement. Cancun doesn’t either so I would bet costa Maya and progreso are the same. You only have to test before leaving because it’s required for re-entry to the United States.

Grand Cayman is closed, for example.

If you test positive in Mexico, what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico. Would they let you back on the ship?

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

It takes effect immediately upon signature if both Houses passed it with 2/3 majority. It appears House passed it with 2/3 but I can't find anything on the Senate vote. 

I believe you are correct.  Last time I looked he had not signed it.  I'll look again.

48 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

The same can be said about the CDC and the outdated guidelines for cruising.

This is true.  It's ridiculous that there had to even be a lawsuit filed to open up an entire industry that should have been permitted to open up, with precautions, a long time ago like every other business.  The CDC wants different requirements for cruising than any other business, restaurant, hotel, amusement park, and other businesses.  Every other business was permitted to open without requiring proof of vaccination for services, and some high risk ones (airline, bus, and subway travel) were never shut down.  

If you can fly on a plane without proof of vaccination, then you should be able to cruise without proof of vaccination to areas that only require a negative covid test.

The frustrating thing is the back and forth of it all.   My husband and I are thankfully fine either way it falls, but many people need to know.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Grand Cayman is closed, for example.

If you test positive in Mexico, what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico. Would they let you back on the ship?

I didn’t say anything about grand cayman or Honduras or any of that. Your statement was “some are closed. The rest require testing.” Mexico is open and doesn’t require testing. Americans have to get tested to return to the United States.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I didn’t say anything about grand cayman or Honduras or any of that. Your statement was “some are closed. The rest require testing.” Mexico is open and doesn’t require testing. Americans have to get tested to return to the United States.

Okay. Point taken.

US citizens have a recognized right to make medical decisions for themselves such as whether or not to get a vaccine. They don't have a "right" to go on a cruise unvaccinated.  Courts have ruled that employers can even require the Covid Vaccine.  Carnival/CDC isn't taking away any sort of legal "right" by requiring vaccines.  That's absurd. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

or take it to court.

I would agree, but they haven't taken that route in Florida where they would seem to have more influence than Texas.  Unfortunately,  it is out of our hands, and all we can do is sit back, wait, and argue online.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tm_aw_love said:

It is unfortunate that Carnival is no longer a 'family' cruise line. 

Let me get this straight.  A business that has been unable to bring in any revenue for the past 15 months makes the decision to start back under the guidelines set forth, and that somehow makes them not a family cruise line.  They are just trying to get back to sailing and if it means a few passengers have to be left out until the regulations change then that is what they are going to have to do.  I am pretty sure as soon as Carnival gets the go ahead the crumb crunchers will be allowed back on the ships.  BTW I have a December cruise booked with a 10 year old child sailing with me.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

No more confusion. I like that! i feel really bad for those that are not vaccinated because this is a real last minute flip, and I know it hurts. But, even though I favor not being forced to be vaccinated, the CDC's protocols for a mixed set of passengers is totally unworkable for everybody. It would have been a disaster. So, let's cruise!

No one is being forced to get vaccinated. They have a choice get vaccinated or don’t cruise… for now. I wouldn’t risk my business on people who are willing to protect them selves.

• Like 2

The only reason I got the vaccine is so I could cruise. Saw this coming months ago. Don't know why people are shocked. Bottom line is that the cruise lines want to get started again to make some money. If being vaccinated allows them to do this - by all means, they need to do it - they are a business. People have a choice still in this country - I don't hear Yankee fans that can't go to a game without being vaccinated complain or a concert group. They just don't go. Cruising is the same - don't go. Eventually things will be back to normal. Personally I feel good that everyone will be vaccinated mask won't be required. 

• Like 7

My big concert was postponed one more year due to the pandemic. I was ready to show proof of vaccination.

I got vaccination for many reasons. I did it bc my doctor and doctor friends said it was safe.I also watched loved one get very sick from Covid.lastly, I have been teaching, IN PERSON since September five days a week. 

so if you can get vaccinated- please do. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JEANMR1 said:

I’m hopefully going on the carnival horizon July 24 but have a 10-year-old. Are there any kids on the July cruises going out of Galveston or did they cancel those peoples reservations?

Thanks in advance.

the article I read stated everyone must be vaccinated and that children under 12 would not be allowed to sail in July…..

It made me wonder if these fully vaccinated initial cruises will serve also as test cruises so carnival can do either after the CDC gives them the green light.

It's been noted by many there arent any ports they can do from Galveston and make the test only 2 days. That stuck in my mind.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It made me wonder if these fully vaccinated initial cruises will serve also as test cruises so carnival can do either after the CDC gives them the green light.

It's been noted by many there arent any ports they can do from Galveston and make the test only 2 days. That stuck in my mind.

No, revenue cruises can't serve as test cruises based on current rules.

Follow the money. The cruise line can't afford publicity or lawsuits of an outbreak that they could have easily prevented. As long as the CSO is in effect, the CDC can yank permission to sail of any cruise line.

Pretending there won't be any covid cases is preposterous. There WILL be some cases, even on majority 95% vaccinated cruises. You have people living in close quarters for a week, visiting poorer countries and mingling/dining/drinking/touring with locals, plus lowered immune system from traveling in general and lots of crew members you interact with. Follow the science and guidelines. No need to overreact and toss people from the ship. That's an even worse PR nightmare. It makes zero sense and isn't even within the realm of what CDC recommends for vaccinated folks. Besides, the vast majority of kids are asymptomatic or have common cold ailments. Tossing them and their vaccinated parents overboard like diseased trash is ridiculous anyway you try and slice it, yes, even yielding to capitalism.       

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tm_aw_love said:

Trying to be optimistic, but it seems that doing everything to include families would be going the test sailing route like RCCL. That way they wouldn't exclude children. If this sticks, I bet they lose at least some loyal customers. I know they make money on drunk party animals, but they also make a ton from families. 

I'm truly sorry for your frustration given Carnival's informal (yet obviously unofficial) statements for months about not requiring vaccination that ultimately looks like it was aimed to keep folks deposit money. With that stated, these one-sided threats about losing loyal customers if they don't get what they want is getting old.  I heard even more folks prior to this announcement saying if Carnival didn't require vaccination that they were leaving Carnival. In the end this is a business decision by Carnival to take the least risky path to return to cruising as they understand either choice is going to hack off people but not aimed at destroying somebody's family trip. Better days are ahead as just give the cruiselines time to work through the challenges with resuming cruising during a pandemic.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 1

Just now, cruisingguy007 said:

Pretending there won't be any covid cases is preposterous. There WILL be some cases, even on majority 95% vaccinated cruises.

Of course there will be. And when the threshold is reached, the cruise will be TERMINATED. What makes you think cruisers won't be limited to ship shore excursions? Especially if there are unvaccinated people on the ship?

• Like 2

Of course there will be. And when the threshold is reached, the cruise will be TERMINATED. What makes you think cruisers won't be limited to ship shore excursions? Especially if there are unvaccinated people on the ship?

Kid heavy cruises are generally in the Caribbean and 7 days or less. Given that covid symptoms tend to manifest between 5 and 6 days from exposure the chance of hitting the threshold is very low. Made even lower by the fact that young children tend to be asymptomatic and the breakthrough infection rate is statically insignificant for cruise ship populations.

The issue of port regulations is valid. Consider though that a many ports on kid friendly cruises are US territory or private islands.

• Like 2

If it's only kids that are unvaccinated (or a few crew members) there should be no need to terminate a cruise. If a kid/crew (heck even a vaccinated passanger) falls ill enough to need medical attention and tests positive for covid then they stay on the ship for the duration of the cruise and monitored by health staff. No port visits for them, cruise continues as usual for everyone else. These "outbreaks" you kept referring to will most likely end up being nothing but a few cases. No need to be so dramatic, overreact and fear monger. The "threshold" hasn't even been announced.   

• Like 3

Just now, cruisingguy007 said:

If it's only kids that are unvaccinated (or a few crew members) there should be no need to terminate a cruise. If a kid/crew (heck even a vaccinated passanger) falls ill enough to need medical attention and tests positive for covid then they stay on the ship for the duration of the cruise and monitored by health staff. No port visits for them, cruise continues as usual for everyone else. These "outbreaks" you kept referring to will most likely end up being nothing but a few cases. No need to be so dramatic, overreact and fear monger. The "threshold" hasn't even been announced.   

This is making the big assumption that the ports will allow a ship that has a positive case to dock and disembark guests. The ports could just as easily say "you're not docking" and the cruise is over or is now a cruise to nowhere. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Branman said:

This is making the big assumption that the ports will allow a ship that has a positive case to dock and disembark guests. The ports could just as easily say "you're not docking" and the cruise is over or is now a cruise to nowhere. 

These should be worked out ahead of time by the cruise lines and each countries respective CDC equivalent or body. Could some have a more restrictive policy that the US CDC? Sure. I don't think it will be a big problem though. The science will generally be the same and that should guide policy, not irrational fear. I trust it will work out just fine. They are pros at this, this is their business.   

• Like 2