First time in Alaska in the middle of August, What should I expect?

farodeluzgirl

Expect anything.  You will for sure have some rain days, so a waterproof outer layer is good.  When I've been fishing there, in a week long trip, we had everything from rain and 40s to sun and 80.  The day it got into the 80s in the afternoon, it started at like 50 and cloudy.  So a good light inner layer, a warm like windbreaker layer, and a waterproof outer layer is about ideal for me.  

If you use the Cruise Critic search function you may be able to find detailed packing lists.  Several years ago someone posted their packing list after the cruise.  They included what they took and what they didn't use.  They also posted a list of items they would have used had they packed them.  

But a waterproof (not water resistant) coat is needed.  Folks can encounter rain any time in SE Alaska, but particularly in mid-August be prepared for "liquid sunshine."

• 3 weeks later...

Expect anything from rain, snow, wind and 80 degrees. True! Bring layers of all types to include water resistant me kets, hoodies, tennis shoes, boots, and hats ( for warm and cold weather). We live on the coast in Washington so we normally own this type of clothing. We love Alaska and have been 4 times... Bring your bathing suit for the pool and got tub, really.

Two years ago Alaska was breaking heat records - no not like today in the Pacific Northwest

but factor in warm weather during the day but as night approaches it gets cooler much

cooler near water and what do you have cruising in Alaska - water for the most part.

Layers - add and remove as the weather changes - the last outer most should be a moisture

proof slicker (perhaps vented). Going near the glaciers is like opening a refrigerator door -

expect a real chilling effect. 

And don't forget protection for you phone camera binoculars.

Wear a hat to cover your eye glasses.

Some tours may provide umbrellas.  

Plan for rain and dress warm for glacier viewing day.  We scored 2018 mid August.  No rain.  Returned my husbands rain pants to Dick's sporting goods.  If you are going to take any small boat trips, plan for being out on deck.  Actually, we had to dress warm to walk the around the deck.  Have fun.  Gorgeous.

• 4 weeks later...