The Daily for Wednesday Jun 09, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. Rich thanks for the Daily. Love to my sister's. Prayers for our Roy and all needing them.

My sis arrived early! Met friends at Pappadeaux's and sis loved it. Today downtown and to lunch, tonight a meet my sister cocktail hour.

My dad loved strawberry rhubarb pie. I'm not really a fan. I'm with Ann, not sure about the drink concoction of the day. 

Wishing you all a lovely, blessed day. Cheers and prayers. 

Joy, I hope you broke the news to your Sis that she has a Left Coast and Right Coast Sister now. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Love Donald Duck, didnt know he had his own day! I dont care for rhubarb so no pie for me. The shrimp looks interesting but with less dressing. I can personally tell you that the Kahlua Colada is wonderful. Had a few of those on our cruise on the Eurodam.

DH has been to Abu Dubai on business several times. He has been everywhere, although he always said a boardroom looks the same no matter where you are. He did get to see a lot though because of the number of trips.

We went up to Jetty Park last nite and it was like old times. There were 3 ships docked and 3 out in the harbor. So wonderful to see them all. Maybe soon!???

Off to Orlando today for many appointments that have been put off.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 20

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I've always loved Donald Duck; I had a friend who used to be able to talk like him and whenever I was feeling down, I'd call him and say "Is Donald there, can he please talk to me?"  It never failed to bring a smile to my face; sadly that friend  departed this plane a few years ago.   I'm sure he's keeping the angels entertained.

While I like strawberry-rhubarb pie, I prefer plain rhubarb - an open face pie with a custard like filling ... yum!  Unfortunately I can't make a pie crust to save my neck, and my mom never wrote down her recipe, so I haven't had it in years.

It was wonderful watching the Nieuw Statendam sail-away yesterday; hearing those glorious toots felt so good.  I'm sure I was on a high for at least an hour after, just thinking about being back on one of those BHB's.

We haven't been to today's port - maybe someday - and I'd like to try the drink of the day next time we're on a cruise.  I'd like to try today's wine suggestion, but the price is going to keep me from running out and buying a bottle.  Having said that though, I have yet to find a Robert Mondavi wine that I didn't like!

A great menu suggestion today; I think I'm going to head out this morning and get some shrimp to put it together.  I like the idea of serving it on a bed of greens, but I'm sure DH would prefer it in a croissant.  Whatever our choice is, that's going to be on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and continue to get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 24

@smitty34877 Thank you for the update on Tana.  It is nice to get some positive news.   

I'm with everyone on the amount of dressing on the shrimp.  Basically, it is meant to be a shrimp salad in same sense as tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad.   There was a picture of it as a sandwich with a croissant, but when I saved it to one of my files, it just disappeared.   

Edited by dfish
  • Like 14

Good morning, and as always, thanks for the Daily!

Cheers for @smitty34877's Tana! 

We again thank everyone for sharing their memories and experiences with the different ports of the day, so many places that we'll likely never visit. We do so enjoy seeing what you've seen!

Much appreciation to all for the kind responses yesterday. We talked to Lynny's boyfriend Daniel last night and to this point the news is that she is holding steady, but so far has not shown voluntary response to stimuli. They are unable to yet determine the extent of the damage to her brain. He passes along their gratitude for the prayers and positive thoughts. We second that. Thanks to each of you for being such caring people.

Our prayers for everyone with a need and congrats to those with a cause.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy and has a great Hump Day!

Lori & George

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Another hot day here with temps at 89. How did we ever live without air conditioning. My update this AM on Sam is that he had a good night’s sleep and is doing ok. His speech is definitely not slurred. They made him sign an agreement that he wouldn’t get out of bed by himself after he tried on Monday. It’s kind of funny to think he’s going to remember. As my grandson said, he has no patience for being sick or in a hospital.

Love today’s quote.

Carol

• Like 26

Looks like a hot muggy day here but a change from rain. Love the shrimp recipes and that its Donald Duck Day ! I may have to get the Barefoot Contessa's cookbook. I'll try the library first before I buy one. My son and grandson will be coming home for the first time since the pandemic started. We had a family cruise planned that ended up being cancelled. It will be so good to hug them again !

• Like 20

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  Donald Duck is a genuine character.   I'll pass on the Shrimp Salad (no seafood at all) but the Strawberry and Rhubarb pie sounds like a great desert.  Fisher's quote is quite strange.  I've been to a couple of ports in the UAE but not Abu Dhabi.  My alternative menu suggestion is Chilled Peach Soup and Boston Lager Strip Loin Steak as served on MS Prinsendam June 9, 2015, perhaps followed by a Strawberry and Rhubarb Crisp.

Care list:

Lynny Poell, (Vintage Geo’s neighbor) fighting for her life after a hit and run

Welfare of furloughed crews

RIP StLouisCruisers’s DS

RIP St. Louis Cruisers’ niece’s twin grandchildren

Cruising-along’s cousin rejecting a kidney

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

mamaofami DH Sam recovering from a stroke

StLouisCruisers’s DB strugling to authorize heart catherization

Wandb’s sister undergoing agressive chemo

RIP ger_77's favorite uncle

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard grapau27

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Jab for superoma and Happily@Sea

Hit and run driver caught

Road rage killer caught

AWESOME toots from Nieuw Statendam

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the care and shout out lists.  You are a good fellow.

• Like 8

We were in Abu Dhabi in Dec 2016 and stayed a few days prior to departing on a cruise to India. We found Abu Dhabi to be an interesting enough place to visit, but found the city to be similar to Dubai - in that they have been developed over the last few decades and present a façade similar to Las Vegas.

Downtown skyline.

image.png.1904b3be8f0f9134c7ead9ce19250b58.png

Some of the places we visited.

The Grand Mosque.
 image.png.db908000658bc1304e1073215deea560.png

Abu Dhabi Golf Club.

image.png.79111e1135d77c5b26fd6a761166e3e3.png

The UAE Heritage Village, which is setup to display various past life-styles and industries.image.png.153ec58cf2654e5ce642f864d01ba0e8.png

It included an old-style souk.
 image.png.f93ae2002123d27809f555b9bbc38c24.png

image.png.2fb45d9ddcd7c0cf121e1a51f1273cf8.png

Mountain People House. 

House1.thumb.jpg.946348189777b85c7cac8b31d712ad1d.jpg

image.png.82cbe5c1ef28c82bf4ff3a799b3e6e02.png

Weaving.
 image.png.a53592737591b95950b29bc8d2d6af99.png
Metal works.

384554652_01ADMetal2.thumb.jpg.5a304d201bd7c764dcdaff12411b6c7d.jpg

image.png.0f23cc106377513009ef6aaf57048b62.png

Glassworks.
 image.png.4fd2013c82ea2f97d910ae69bbbcfd22.png

Leather works - where like most of the shops, you could buy pre-made articles, or if you had the time, they would custom make something for you.

image.png.09f8f26d833ae06268f00eb5d0033ed4.png

We were there at Christmas time and were surprised most places had some type of display depicting the Christian holiday.
Emirates Palace Hotel tree.
 image.png.b6dff7db59242207ca989baaf4c9ebf4.png

Tree on the beach in front of out hotel.image.png.578e26822997d31bd3e62c00381bb057.png

Most of the malls had large Christmas trees setup, but we also noticed this escalator warning sign, which is something you will not likely see in a mall in North America!

image.png.6ec9b8e7c3ad904921a3f66cf42c4382.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

House1.jpg

Not sure how the duplicate pictures got posted. Tried to delete them, but they keep coming Back.😖 

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Happy Hump Day.  Love Donald Duck and Strawberry Rhubarb pie is super delicious.  The meal sounds good, looking forward to Debbie's recipe.

Have not been to today's port, can't wait to see the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Hugs to all of us.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Kahlua Colada:

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 6.56.21 AM.png

Summer Slope this sounds good.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Donald Duck has been brought much laughter to so many.

3A4B7261-2DEF-48E8-A5C0-7156C855A54A.jpeg.b7b4ec73be15ba4f270db6ad3de4217a.jpeg

Yum on the pie.  Love that combination.  No strawberries yet but the rhubarb has arrived 👍 

Love the quote by Carrie and that meal suggestion sounds really tempting.

Some welcome rain greeting us this morning until the sun comes up and it gets humid and hot again.  I need it to stop soon though to get the dogs to “co-operate” as today and tomorrow are grooming days.  Speaking of dogs:

80AF4B11-B227-4CDF-B3BD-95FEEF71E055.thumb.jpeg.c3a6c8dcee16a8b2a453cf5c4b9e91b1.jpeg

And, for the cat lovers out there:

F514D8B9-4302-4F16-8791-F5ADC0340894.jpeg.ee5275c75dda8aa8642e3af0e33aea32.jpeg

DH claims I have been on line too much.  I think he’s wrong, after all I haven’t gotten this message yet 😉 

5AC0A072-657F-40C2-8771-921875034CEF.jpeg.5af2f748eadd7f7cdd42e3d27c7d8342.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list!

Have a great Hump Day.  Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

Jacqui I love the Log Off Warning.  Glad you have a sense of humor!

• Like 9

Rich:  I love the pie selection. I like Rhubarb and any kind of berry. The combination in a pie sounds heavenly.  Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report.  I prefer the meal alternative proposed by Roy!

Have a great day everyone and there will be no snow to deal with in Naperville today.  It is too hot for snow. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning from central Texas where the weather is still dreary along with hot and muggy.

I love strawberries but not a big fan of rhubarb, so I will skip the pie.  While many love Donald Duck, he has never been one of my favorite characters.

The shrimp salad sounds like a dish I need to check out, but tonight it will be cedar plank salmon, asparagus, salad and wine.  For dessert I’m making a lemon bundt cake.  Since I don’t like coffee, I’ll pass on the drink.  The wine is good, but a little pricey.

We have not been to Abu Dhabi, but are scheduled to be there next year if cruising out of Sydney starts in time.  If not it will be the year after.  @GeorgeCharlieThank you for the pictures.

@smitty34877 Thank you for the good news about Tana.  Hope the biopsy tells the doctors what is going on and that the remedy is an easy one.

@VintageGeo  Thank you for the update on Lynny and the good news she is holding steady.  Keeping up the good thoughts for a complete recovery.

@mamaofami  Sounds like Sam is on the mend.

@kazu Love all the memes.

Lenda

• Like 20

Pauline is a big fan of Disney and we have been to WDW Orlando and Disneyland Paris several times.

Mini and Mickey are our favourites but Donald Duck looks cute.

It is 77°F and sunny at home.

Pauline had her second Astrazeneca vaccine jab this morning so afterwards we went for Lunch alfresco at a nearby restaurant.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20210609_131526.jpg

• Like 29

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  and   thank  you  for  our  care  and  celebratory lists, Roy.  As  usual  @kazu, starts  my  morning  with  a  good  laugh. I  could  well  imagine  our  Fred the  cockapoo getting  stuck  in  a  hammock  like  that.  @richwmn, thank  you  for  the  Daily  with  quotes,  days  and  most  importantly  SHIPS!

The  recipe  looks  so  good  that  it  has  motivated  me  to  get  to  our  local  fish  store  and  find  shrimp. It  will  be  perfect for  another  hot  humid  day.  Somebody  can  have  my  pie  though.....

I  am  happy  to  report  that  the  situation  with  our  Tana  is better  in  some  ways. She  has  fired  DD  and  myself  from catering  duties  and  felt  well  enough  to  drive  to  her  latest  MD  appointment  alone.  It  looks  like  her  lung  situation  will  require  a  biopsy  and  that will  be  done  fairly  soon. She  is right  now  off  O2  and  sounds  like  her  usual   lovable  but very  independent  self.

We  are  all  very  grateful  for  your  prayers  and  kindness  during  this difficult  time.

I  look  forward  to  port  pictures   and  hearing  what  the  rest  of  you  are  up  to.

Terry

Sending our prayers to Tana and hopefully her lungs are okay.

Best wishes Terry.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The day before the cruise departed, we had arranged through Cruise Critic to meet up with several of our fellow cruisers for a “Desert Safari”.

After about an hour of driving time, we arrived at the first event of where they had some camels.
 image.png.6e2f090d5f4d8d42cae946f787fd20cb.png

Then we went on the "dune bashing part - and for ones of us crunched up in the back, it was more of a "passenger bashing" ride!!

image.png.ab31ae85aa8fa7afe5957433d0123446.png

And stops for picture taking.

image.png.5ed704026ddbb0f4d68195527edcd458.png 

Then we carried on to the venue where they were holding the main evening events, which included a buffet meal, camel rides, and live entertainment.

image.png.1bdcfdbbfb788d3f75bdda987e8ab811.png

image.png.aa2aa78ba085e1071ff60884e917cead.png

The main event was the belly dancer. Belly dancing is not part of UAE's history, but I guess tourists expect to see it. The dancer was apparently from Russia and was very "energetic" - to say the least!
image.png.4b2501f604fe2e32e824091ff64e59e9.png

The next morning, we were off on our cruise.

image.png.c8f3106e1b4355d4242186120afeed5a.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Just now, puppycanducruise said:

@grapau27Nice picture of Pauline.  Glad she got her second jab.

Thanks Melanie.

It is a relief that we have both had our 2 vaccine jabs now.

Our P&O UK Staycation cruise in August is for fully vaccinated people only.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, VintageGeo said:

Much appreciation to all for the kind responses yesterday. We talked to Lynny's boyfriend Daniel last night and to this point the news is that she is holding steady, but so far has not shown voluntary response to stimuli. They are unable to yet determine the extent of the damage to her brain. He passes along their gratitude for the prayers and positive thoughts. We second that. Thanks to each of you for being such caring people.

Thanks for the update.  Praying that she can respond soon 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Another hot day here with temps at 89. How did we ever live without air conditioning. My update this AM on Sam is that he had a good night’s sleep and is doing ok. His speech is definitely not slurred. They made him sign an agreement that he wouldn’t get out of bed by himself after he tried on Monday. It’s kind of funny to think he’s going to remember. As my grandson said, he has no patience for being sick or in a hospital.

Good to hear, Carol.  Very encouraging and happy to hear it 👍 

• Like 12