2 Passengers on Seaside Test Positive for Covid June 8

capriccio

34 minutes ago, neptuno said:

Does anyone know what happens to the unfortunate guests who are put off the ship due to covid?  Must they arrange their own transport back to port of embarkation?

According to an article in today's Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/06/09/msc-cruise-covid-passenger-italy/😞

Both passengers and their parties left the ship in Siracusa, on the island of Sicily, and were taken home “by protected MSC Cruises transport” Tuesday, the cruise company said.

There was no explanation of who bore the cost of the transport.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

According to an article in today's Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/06/09/msc-cruise-covid-passenger-italy/😞

Both passengers and their parties left the ship in Siracusa, on the island of Sicily, and were taken home “by protected MSC Cruises transport” Tuesday, the cruise company said.

I am truly sorry for the asymptomatic passengers, but this must clearly be seen as a "win" for MSC: no massive outbreak, no cancellation of the cruise, and the affected passengers were shepherded off the ship, all in accordance with the excellent protocols MSC has been observing consistently for the last 10 months.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

US cruises will likely have a majority of passengers vaccinated which should result in even less, if any, passengers testing positive. 

The anti-vax movement in the US is enormous. Hundreds of thousands of Americans are are not vaccinated. If vaccinations are not mandatory to cruise on MSC, I'll spend my coin elsewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Will travel insurance be required for US sailings?  In the past it has been quite expensive.  

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

My understanding is that their repatriation costs are borne by the travel insurance they were required to purchase prior to sailing.

1 hour ago, DFWGUYZ said:

The anti-vax movement in the US is enormous. Hundreds of thousands of Americans are are not vaccinated. If vaccinations are not mandatory to cruise on MSC, I'll spend my coin elsewhere. 

Freedom of choice. 👍 (I'm fully vaccinated BTW)

Edited by kilkoyne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neptuno said:

Will travel insurance be required for US sailings?  In the past it has been quite expensive.  

That isn’t clear to me at the moment. I’d like to know this, as well. 

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

When you book an msc cruise you can have a covid 19 insurance for less than 20 euros and it will cover the cost of transport, cancellation of the cruise if you are positive at the embarkation, hospital etc.

2 passengers on the Celebrity Millennium out of St Martin just tested COVID positive today and that ship is 95% vaccinated.  The Millie is running at ~30% capacity.  I don't see how the CDC/US Government is Not going enforce mandatory vaccinations, which I think could be the silver lining of these Covid situations. 

Hi there,

as my DH is fully vaccinated and I will be when starting our next cruise, I really agree that this is the way to go. But the government of Florida and Texas do forbid this:

Republcan governors of Florida and Texas battle with cruise lines over vaccine requirements

read here

We are booked on MSC Grandiosa in September crusing the Mediterranean Sea and on Divina in February cruising the Caribbean. Being fully vaccinated gives us a good feeling. But so far here i Germany not everone was able to get the first shot. Our younger son (31) is still trying to get an appointment for his first shot. He is healthy, able to work in home office and therefore it will take some more weeks.

Take care and safe cruising!

2 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

2 passengers on the Celebrity Millennium out of St Martin just tested COVID positive today and that ship is 95% vaccinated.  The Millie is running at ~30% capacity.  I don't see how the CDC/US Government is Not going enforce mandatory vaccinations, which I think could be the silver lining of these Covid situations. 

And what if those testing positive have had the jabs ? as has been happening in the UK! (Not on ships) Do you want the cruises to be stopped.

Before anybody suggests the CDC making 100% vaccinations "mandatory," please remember that the CDC recently acknowledged the fact that cruising will NEVER be 100 risk-free. https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0402-conditional-sail-orders.html

"Cruising safely and responsibly during a global pandemic is difficult. While cruising will always pose some risk of COVID-19 transmission, following the phases of the CSO will ensure cruise ship passenger operations are conducted in a way that protects crew members, passengers, and port personnel, particularly with emerging COVID-19 variants of concern."

Read the boldened part. The CDC knows it'll never be completely risk-free, so should we all.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Before anybody suggests the CDC making 100% vaccinations "mandatory," please remember that the CDC recently acknowledged the fact that cruising will NEVER be 100 risk-free. 

First let me say there will never be required vaccinations.  There just isn't the will in the U-S for that kind of buy-in.  And the suggestion that the CDC or anyone else has advocated for it is as stupid and as much of a lie as saying "they're coming for our guns." 

But to constantly point at the vaccine not being a panacea, 100% effective against infection (and let me add that 96% comes as close as you can) pointing at that shortfall over and over is just a desperate attempt to try and create a campaign against the vaccine as a solution to the pandemic.   And using it as some kind of evidence that any one .... any where .... has EVER said everyone should be forced to get vaccinated is a self serving canard.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, neptuno said:

I have no inside information.  On the Italian and UK sailings insurane is required but I've never seen information on if the passenger will be initially charged or who had to file the claim in the case of the MSC sold policy.  Given the healthcare situation in the US I would expect MSC to want to require similar coverage, likely purchased privately as in the UK, for loss of cruise fare and medical costs associated with treatment, isolation and repatriation of any positive COVID-19 case.  Hopefully the CDC guidelines force MSC to cover these possible costs, I've not researched those exact details of the CDC rules as to whether the cruise lines can pass those costs on to the passengers or require the purchase of a policy to recover those costs.

If it ends up passengers must purchase their own policy, as with all insurance of this nature passengers need to scrutinize the policy details - primary or secondary coverage, what about family that has not tested positive but is removed from the ship, do you pay up front and need to file for reimbursement?  I have a feeling MSC would like to leave those details to the passengers.  I do expect it to be more costly than the current policies which are in countries that have national health plans.

Below is a link I've been watching to the MSC page for US sailing policy, it's in progress and currently is only an older version of the European guidelines.  Hopefully MSC will update it soon.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/the-bahamas-and-caribbean-cruises

Edited by Até

And now, Royal Caribbean.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57446583

It should be stated in reference to this story’s detail about “all passengers having Ben vaccinated.”

1.  The two most efficacious vaccines are about 95% percent. That means there is still a 5% chance you will either be unprotected, or only protected against the most severe symptoms.

2.   The recommended wait time after the second Pfizer shot is two weeks before presuming one’s self to be fully vaccinated.   That means there is a two week period when one could claim, and demonstrate proof of being vaccinated, and still come onboard asymptomatic or susceptible to infection.

12 hours ago, Até said:

Below is a link I've been watching to the MSC page for US sailing policy, it's in progress and currently is only an older version of the European guidelines.  Hopefully MSC will update it soon.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/the-bahamas-and-caribbean-cruises

Well at least I now know MSC US still watches this forum... changed to a Error 404 page.  Oh well, there wasn't much there anyway.

Edited by Até

On 6/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, kilkoyne said:

Interesting how many cruisers are so against cruising with someone unvaxx yet I'm sure will  fly on a plane to get to their vaxx cruise port if need be.

People are using the excuse "it will ruin my cruise" or "think about the safety of others" but in reality there's an undertone of how they are really worried of getting sick themselves. 

There's always a risk. Even going grocery shopping there are many unvaxx people walking aisles. I trust the vaccine to keep me safe. I won't let who don't want to get the vaxx or can't limit what I want to do.

I understand your point but believe you're comparing apples to oranges ... when I'm in a grocery store, I am masked and keep my distance.  I'm also there for about 30 minutes.  When I get to fly again, I will not have an issue with wearing my mask and avoiding close contact as much as possible.  Again, my time flying is relatively short and just a means to an end ... getting to where I am going!  

However, during a cruise, I would love to think that I could relax those restrictions, go about my day/evening without a mask, not worrying about how close that stranger is while I order a drink or dance on the dance floor.  I'm currently booked with MSC and NCL ... will continue to watch and see before final payments.  In the end, if I have to prepare myself to cruise in the same manner as I get my groceries, I will probably cancel.  Just my opinion!  

2 hours ago, Acadie said:

I understand your point but believe you're comparing apples to oranges ... when I'm in a grocery store, I am masked and keep my distance.  I'm also there for about 30 minutes.  When I get to fly again, I will not have an issue with wearing my mask and avoiding close contact as much as possible.  Again, my time flying is relatively short and just a means to an end ... getting to where I am going!  

However, during a cruise, I would love to think that I could relax those restrictions, go about my day/evening without a mask, not worrying about how close that stranger is while I order a drink or dance on the dance floor.  I'm currently booked with MSC and NCL ... will continue to watch and see before final payments.  In the end, if I have to prepare myself to cruise in the same manner as I get my groceries, I will probably cancel.  Just my opinion!  

I don't believe I'm comparing apples to oranges. Covid is out there in bars, restaurants, airports, grocery stores, gyms, cruise ships, etc. Just because a trip on a plane is "short" doesn't mean you're not just as susceptible as anywhere else. Maybe someday the world will be rid of Covid but IMO it's highly unlikely. 

I have faith in the vaccine in regards to not being hospitalized or dying. I guess I just don't understand why others selectively don't.

Edited by kilkoyne
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

I don't believe I'm comparing apples to oranges. Covid is out there in bars, restaurants, airports, grocery stores, gyms, cruise ships, etc. Just because a trip on a plane is "short" doesn't mean you're not just as susceptible as anywhere else. Maybe someday the world will be rid of Covid but IMO it's highly unlikely. 

I have faith in the vaccine in regards to not being hospitalized or dying. I guess I just don't understand why others selectively don't.

I don’t think you’re comparing apples to oranges, either. While I don’t pretend to understand the intricacies of how this virus is spread, I am mystified as to how the way you can contract it seems to be constantly shifting. Some people say that it takes prolonged exposure, at least 15 to 20 minutes within proximity of someone, but then will say that a single cough or sneeze can transmit it. So which is it? Is it different for different people? Is a single sneeze enough to give you the virus, or do you have to be around the person for a prolonged length of time? There doesn’t seem to be any definitive answer. 

46 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I don’t think you’re comparing apples to oranges, either. While I don’t pretend to understand the intricacies of how this virus is spread, I am mystified as to how the way you can contract it seems to be constantly shifting. Some people say that it takes prolonged exposure, at least 15 to 20 minutes within proximity of someone, but then will say that a single cough or sneeze can transmit it. So which is it? Is it different for different people? Is a single sneeze enough to give you the virus, or do you have to be around the person for a prolonged length of time? There doesn’t seem to be any definitive answer. 

Poster's response: "when I'm in a grocery store, I am masked and keep my distance.  I'm also there for about 30 minutes."

Covid's response: "I'm not going to infect that guy, he's only shopping for 30 mins, why bother?"

Poster "When I get to fly again,......time flying is relatively short and just a means to an end"

Covid's response: "flying is only a means to an end?....shucks....I guess I'll have to wait to infect people who are flying for pure enjoyment".

Covid: "Now that I think about it, why infect people who are in restaurants, graduation ceremonies, and family reunions?  I can just hang out on unvaccinated cruise ships instead".

Edited by kilkoyne
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

Poster's response: "when I'm in a grocery store, I am masked and keep my distance.  I'm also there for about 30 minutes."

Covid's response: "I'm not going to infect that guy, he's only shopping for 30 mins, why bother?"

Poster "When I get to fly again,......time flying is relatively short and just a means to an end"

Covid's response: "flying is only a means to an end?....shucks....I guess I'll have to wait to infect people who are flying for pure enjoyment".

Covid: "Now that I think about it, why infect people who are in restaurants, graduation ceremonies, and family reunions?  I can just hang out on unvaccinated cruise ships instead".

Two people on a Celebrity ship tested positive, a ship where everyone had the jabs! 

• Like 1

So two Seaside guests tested positive and were put off ship, while two Celebrity guests  who tested positive were allowed to quarantine aboard ship?  Did I miss something?  So, if even those of us vaxxed can test positive, would you rather be put ashore or allowed room service in your cabin?

3 hours ago, neptuno said:

So two Seaside guests tested positive and were put off ship, while two Celebrity guests  who tested positive were allowed to quarantine aboard ship?  Did I miss something?  So, if even those of us vaxxed can test positive, would you rather be put ashore or allowed room service in your cabin?

They were not allowed to stay in their cabin ,they were moved to Deck 2, so didn't even get to keep the balcony they had.. People they had been in contact with did get quarantined in their own cabins. Lots of talk on Celebrity board there were 8/10 children who were not vaccinated and as the incubation period is 5/10 days could have been infected on the flight.

Prof. Chris Witty our CMO has said we will have Covid forever it will be like flu, we have to learn to live with it

Edited by emmas gran

On 6/12/2021 at 6:42 AM, Acadie said:

Us too .If mask needed on board and test every time we come back from the beach we will not cruise .