2 Passengers on Seaside Test Positive for Covid June 8

capriccio

Just being reported: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/cruise-passengers-test-positive-for-covid-19-in-italy/ar-AAKSl80

The pair were traveling on the MSC Seaside cruise ship and disembarked with their families in Syracuse, Sicily, on Tuesday, MSC told CNN on Wednesday. The two passengers were asymptomatic.

"Our protocol is working, if not on board those two people would still be freely circulating," said MSC spokesperson Michele Curatolo.

The company has a contigency plan for each port of call, added Cuartolo, which meant that a "protective transfer was immediately activated" for the two passengers who tested positive.

"...if not on board those two people would still be freely circulating..."

The point is that prior to their disembarking they were freely circulating, which meant the entire ship should have been quarantined.  But their solution was to just open the door and push two sick people right out in to the public and brush their hands off and carry on.

Idiots.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

"...if not on board those two people would still be freely circulating..."

The point is that prior to their disembarking they were freely circulating, which meant the entire ship should have been quarantined.  But their solution was to just open the door and push two sick people right out in to the public and brush their hands off and carry on.

Idiots.

I don't disagree with you! 

We will not sail on any ship of any cruise line that doesn't require vaccinations.  We have a family cruise scheduled on Princess for July 2022 with a then 7 1/2 year old and an almost 3 year old.  From the day we reserved all 6 adults have said that if the kids and all the other passengers aren't vaccinated we will cancel.

• Like 6

I suppose it sounds better to say we found the cases on the ship while if they were walking around the people might not have ever known, but the problem is why the MSC boarding protocols missed them in the first place.  I also don't understand why they were tested before Malta, my understanding was MSC tested certain people after Malta for re-entry back to some Italian areas.

MSC has quarantine facilities at most ports where positive cases are held, although it sounds like Malta refused the ship to dock.

I am confused as to how many Seaside passengers have been diagnosed with Covid.  Yesterday this article from the Times of Malta (https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/cruise-ship-with-covid-positive-passenger-denied-entry-to-malta.877595?fbclid=IwAR13u57px57O0fZ_1cFHk8rwcOAGehN0gya59suK8gWmNXnSeUDEv-WLGWc#.YL5JI_r7B-4.facebook) said the ship was denied entry into Malta because of 1 passenger 'reporting sick.'  Today's msn article said that 2 asymptomatic passengers and their families were disembarked in Siracusa, Sicily.  Are they both in addition to the passenger ill before Malta?

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Good for MSC, their protocols are working: test positive, get sent home. Good work! 

Do you know if they are doing contact tracing on board the ship too?

Edited by capriccio

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Do you know if they are doing contact tracing on board the ship too?

Articles state other family members were also put off.

It makes sense the first person was tested due to feeling sick, the second was likely tested and found positive due to sharing the cabin.

Just now, Até said:

Articles state other family members were also put off.

It makes sense the first person was tested due to feeling sick, the second was likely tested and found positive due to sharing the cabin.

My confusion centers around this statement in today's article:  The two passengers were asymptomatic.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Good for MSC, their protocols are working: test positive, get sent home.

And everyone else gets to miss a port and worry they will be found to have been too close and will get kicked off too.  Between that and all the restrictions no thanks, that's not a vacation.

• Like 1

Just now, Até said:

And everyone else gets to miss a port and worry they will be found to have been too close and will get kicked off too.  Between that and all the restrictions no thanks, that's not a vacation.

Not my choice either but maybe we should thank the passengers for being willing human guinea pigs in this experiment.  That is until they start complaining that this isn't what they signed up and paid for!

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

My confusion centers around this statement in today's article:  The two passengers were asymptomatic.

It means they were tested and found to have the Covid virus, but were not exhibiting symptoms at that time.   But while they may have felt fine, if they were in the prodromal stage they were infecting everyone they came in contact with.

Edited by MotownVoice

31 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

It means they were tested and found to have the Covid virus, but were not exhibiting symptoms at that time.   But while they may have felt fine, if they were in the prodromal stage they were infecting everyone they came in contact with.

I understand asymptomatic.  My question is were 3 passengers determined to have Covid?  The first article about the cancellation of the stop in Malta mentioned 1 passenger reporting illness.  The second article says two asymptomatic passengers were disembarked in Siracusa.  Just curious as to the number of identified cases.

I still think that they will test unvaccinated passengers maybe every single day, and they should, why should 95% of the passengers be sympathetic to somebody who hasn't been vaccinated. They should have to walk the plank and swim to shore. GO VAX!!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

I still think that they will test unvaccinated passengers maybe every single day, and they should, why should 95% of the passengers be sympathetic to somebody who hasn't been vaccinated. They should have to walk the plank and swim to shore. GO VAX!!

According to the article, on this particular cruise all passengers must have had a Covid-19 test 96 hours before departure, another when they embark, and a third during the cruise.....

I doubt they'll be testing unvaccinated passengers in the US daily. On the other hand if only a small number of passengers are unvaccinated I suppose they could.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Just curious as to the number of identified cases.

Unfortunately there is no requirement for MSC nor the Italian government to report or track positive cases on their cruise ships.  Most of this is just picked up by news reports and usually no one is willing to make statements.  It makes the most sense that the first person became slighty ill and MSC tested them before Malta, the ship was then denied docking in Malta and the second positive was the result of MSC testing close contacts.  There was no other reason to do any normally scheduled tests until after the ship left Malta.

3 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

According to the article, on this particular cruise all passengers must have had a Covid-19 test 96 hours before departure, another when they embark, and a third during the cruise.....

I doubt they'll be testing unvaccinated passengers in the US daily. On the other hand if only a small number of passengers are unvaccinated I suppose they could. 

Italian citizens had to be tested within 96 hours of sailing and Schengen citizens within 48 hours of sailing.  Everyone is again tested at boarding.  The third test is optional because some areas require it after visiting Malta.  CDC policy for US sailings is testing at boarding for unvaccinated and testing at debarking for unvaccinated if the cruise is more than four nights.

I really hope the Cruiselines that want to sail out of the US take this as a wake-up call and either move the ships away from Florida and Texas, or call DeSantis and Abbott's bluff and mandate vaccines.  How will those Governors and CEOs feel if a child or god-forbid two dies of COVID caught on one of these ships? This is a life or death situation and the kids have no voice and no protection.  Everyone who is eligible for the vaccine should be vaccinated to protect others around them.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 2

Problem is it couldn't never be completely safe, test upto 3 days before departure and again at port before getting on, if you picked up covid day before sailing or on the day you wouldn't yest positive yet, so you get on vaccinated or not, even if you are you could of caught it on sail day and pass it on to children who are unvaccinated. (If all adults were vaccinated to travel) 

We said sat from Southampton, test today, test before board, test on day 5, temp checks twice a day.

Those people on the seaside, have been around many many other people and touching everything, reality is that others now have it too.

4 hours ago, Até said:

Unfortunately there is no requirement for MSC nor the Italian government to report or track positive cases on their cruise ships.  Most of this is just picked up by news reports and usually no one is willing to make statements.  It makes the most sense that the first person became slighty ill and MSC tested them before Malta, the ship was then denied docking in Malta and the second positive was the result of MSC testing close contacts.  There was no other reason to do any normally scheduled tests until after the ship left Malta.

Italian citizens had to be tested within 96 hours of sailing and Schengen citizens within 48 hours of sailing.  Everyone is again tested at boarding.  The third test is optional because some areas require it after visiting Malta.  CDC policy for US sailings is testing at boarding for unvaccinated and testing at debarking for unvaccinated if the cruise is more than four nights.

I was on board during the cruise from May 28th to June 4th and the third test is mandatory for everyone: those going to visit Malta ( as soon they are back from the excursion) and on Wednesday to those disembarking in Civitavecchia and on Thuersday those desembarking in Genoa.