The Daily for Thursday Jun 10, 2021

richwmn

Good morning Rich and thanks for the Daily.  Love to my sweet sisters. Prayers for Roy to keep on improving. 

Ball point pens, herbs, and iced tea. Everything I use daily. 

My sister and I had a fun day yesterday. After a long, hot, humid walk we cleaned up and we drove thru Sun City and all the amenities, toured Georgetown, shopped, lunch at Wildfire, back home and played cards and invited new friends for Happy Hour and meet my sis. Today may be pretty much of the same..

A freak thunderstorm came flying thru about 6 am and I forgot to move the chairs and cushions in, so they are all wiped down and cushions drying.

Have a lovely day.  Call a friend,  drop a note.. Blessings, Cheers and Prayers.

image.png.325c7f71f48610cd4cf62d6c29eabac0.png

image.png.a7b4ef94b01bb16c8ba64a9cf9264f8d.png

image.png.119db1dfbad89436112f706a3a33bb10.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I hope some other travel opportunity presents itself to you after you are given permission to get going.

My first cruise came about as a result of an injury and surgery that prevented travel. A few years ago I broke my arm the week of Thanksgiving and had a surgical repair. Starting physical therapy the day after Christmas, for an expected three months, kept me from going on the winter vacation that I had planned, and it would be April before I could travel. I had been considering a Baltic cruise for some time, but the Baltic is not in season in April, and I chose the Mediterranean, the first Mediterranean cruise of the season, in fact.

I did not plan on dislocating the other shoulder shortly before the cruise, but the ortho doc said that I could go, provided that I used a rolling bag and kept my "personal item" light enough to place  overhead using only one hand. I had to take an ice bag and a carpenter's folding ruler -- the latter was for a mobility exercise where you hold a stick of suitable length with both hands and use the good arm to push the injured one.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  A great selection of days although I prefer my tea hot.  Love the Renard quote.  I've cruised the Amazon twice, both times on the Elegant Explorer.  I'll have to see what Debbie says about the meal.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, Cheese Ravioli, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam June 10, 2015.

Care list:

Lynny Poell, (Vintage Geo’s neighbor) fighting for her life after a hit and run

Welfare of furloughed crews

RIP StLouisCruisers’s DS

RIP St. Louis Cruisers’ niece’s twin grandchildren

Cruising-along’s cousin rejecting a kidney

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

mamaofami DH Sam recovering from a stroke

Wandb’s sister undergoing agressive chemo

RIP ger_77's favorite uncle

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Major improvement in Tana

Nieuw Amsterdam in San Pedro building up crew for Alaska season

Second jab for grapau27's DW and sailingdutchy

Seasick Sailor’s visit with her sister

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you.

We are sending our best wishes for everyone on the care list and our deepest condolences to 

StLouisCruisers.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 16

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Another great assortment of days to celebrate; just think how many ball point pens you've gone through in your lifetime!  I'm sure our food would be pretty bland without the addition of herbs and spices, and I love iced tea, both sweet and unsweetened - especially the flavoured teas.

I chuckled when I read that it was Ball Point Pen Day; a few months after I retired, I went through some file cabinets and drawers and realized that every day when I left the courtroom, I must have taken a pen with me.  I had literally hundreds of pens that I certainly would never use, so I bundled them up, put them in a gift bag and gave them to my favourite court clerk.  She was surprised, to say the least.  LOL

Welcome @Ofmyheart - you'll find this to be quite a warm and welcoming group of people!

The shrimp salad yesterday was a "Yum" at our house; I had mine on a bed of lettuce, while DH enjoyed his in a croissant - two, actually.  He was going to have a third before bed, but I suggested he might forego it for something lighter, lest he end up with a night of heartburn.

I like today's menu suggestion, but agree, they would be messy to eat.  I think I'd be serving them with a knife and fork on a plate, otherwise they could end up on people's clothing.  It's a rainy day here on the "frozen tundra", so I think I'll put on a pot of soup - there's a chicken carcass in the freezer that should be used, so it's going into the pot with an assortment of veggies.  Along with some crusty buns (or maybe leftover croissants), that will be what's on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  All things I use and enjoy!

LOL on the Renard quote.  I’ll remember that the next time I am lazy 😉 

A8ABCC41-5C78-4046-9DE4-DE2909B94D88.jpeg.fa6462f230c0bd68fdf87a28a7052b44.jpeg

Not sure about the meal suggestion.  I’ll wait to see what Debbie has to say but I KNOW I love lemons drop martinis - especially on a BHB.

The Ring of Fire solar eclipse was this morning so I was up bright and early  (much to the dogs’ delight) to get some pics.  A total bust.  The pics looked the absolute same from 6:15 to 7:45 am.  😡 

FF3BE642-16BF-48C4-A42E-8C062329B878.thumb.jpeg.5e8edf6e460a6cce8e565c37e25456d9.jpeg

Since yesterday was strawberry & rhubarb pie day, I went to get some rhubarb and low and behold my country market had Nova Scotia strawberries in.  DH and I are not real pie fans so I made a strawberry / rhubarb tart.  DH gave it two thumbs up 👍 

1CFE9FB2-3ED9-4F6E-BAEB-019814266663.thumb.jpeg.831888a4d6f44cfba839415cc3e9ab8b.jpeg

@Live4cruisesI saw this last night and thought you might enjoy it as you anticipate your retirement:

F23E5AB3-F934-4D68-99D4-4A771A458ED4.jpeg.32f5377f50948770e1be56d7ca6340bb.jpeg

Our heat wave is dissipating so lots of work will get done outside today, I hope - unless I get lazy, of course. 😉 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

63961097-580F-4FC4-8068-13121EA805BF.jpeg.41620a368b28dbd03370b30666e154e7.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

Pauline did not sleep well last night after her second Astrazeneca vaccine jab but says she only has minimal pain in her arm.

It is 2pm here in the UK and 70°F where we are.

We have brought a picnic to our local beach car park.

This is our view and we always make believe we are sitting on our ships balcony and can sit for hours looking out to sea.

We plan to call at the garden centre soon to get some more bedding plants.

16233297997857652077449379507950.jpg

IMG_20210423_111854.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 28

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

We are sending our best wishes for everyone on the care list and our deepest condolences to 

StLouisCruisers.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham & Pauline.

Thank you both for your sympathy.  I'm still a little numb at the losses we experienced last Friday.  Yesterday I was looking at some photos taken with Nancy.  I sent this one to my nieces in case they hadn't seen it before.  They are going to show photos in a video during her visitation on Saturday the 19th.  This is my sister (my second Mother as I called her) along with myself on the left and my twin on the right.  We would be about 2-3 and Nancy would have been 11-12.  enhance

It's a cell phone photo of an old sepia print photo so sorry if it's a little blurry.  

• Like 33

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you both for your sympathy.  I'm still a little numb at the losses we experienced last Friday.  Yesterday I was looking at some photos taken with Nancy.  I sent this one to my nieces in case they hadn't seen it before.  They are going to show photos in a video during her visitation on Saturday the 19th.  This is my sister (my second Mother as I called her) along with myself on the left and my twin on the right.  We would be about 2-3 and Nancy would have been 11-12.  enhance

It's a cell phone photo of an old sepia print photo so sorry if it's a little blurry.  

It is a lovely photo of you and your sisters and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Love from us both x.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@grapau27 do I understand that after your evaluation by the Cardio rehab person you were discharged early with instructions for continuing on your own?

Roy

I had my heart attack on December 18th 2019 and had my Angioplasty on December 20th 2019 and had 1 stent put into my circumflex artery.

I was allowed home the next day with a bag of medication.

I had the cardiac physio appointment in February 2020.

After they did various tests I was offered 3 months physio if I wanted but we both agreed I would be fine on my own as I have always been reasonably fit and I was actually lifting weights in the gym on Grand Princess every day of our 15 night Hawaiian cruise in November/December 2019.

My first cardiac appointment with my consultant was to be in April 2020 but was cancelled due to Covid19.

My personal GP took over my checks and I had various blood tests including for Diabetes which was clear.

My total cholesterol was only 2.5 which was low so combined with Covid19 Lockdown that was the sum of my treatment.

12 months after my heart attack in December 2020 I had a phone call from the cardiac team who asked questions about my fitness any shortness of breath,chest pains etc which I was okay for and they discharged me.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

We live about 20 minutes from Newcastle UK cruise terminal and P&O Azura has been docked here since March 2021.

I took these photos on March 31st but we have been back several times since 

Graham.

Screenshot_20210610_144803.jpg

Screenshot_20210610_145011_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210610_144839.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 19

@grapau27In 2018 the Prinsendam stopped at the port of Tyne.  We then took a train to Newcastle Upon Tyne and had a splendid time looking around the city.  I hope our summer of 2022 cruise makes its scheduled stop there.  Good to know we have a new Daily friend there, two including Pauline.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Sam was moved last night from the ICUnto a room on the neuro floor and the ever efficient hospital called me at 2am to let me know. He continues to make progress and we don’t know how much longer he will be in the hospital before going to rehab. I’m grateful for every day.we just never know from one minute to the next how or what will happen to our loved ones.

Carol

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@grapau27In 2018 the Prinsendam stopped at the port of Tyne.  We then took a train to Newcastle Upon Tyne and had a splendid time looking around the city.  I hope our summer of 2022 cruise makes its scheduled stop there.  Good to know we have a new Daily friend there, two including Pauline.

Thanks.

We have seen QE2, Disney,MSC, Marella,Fred Olsen as well as the daily DFDS ferry at North Shields.

If Prinsendam arrives in Summer 2022 if we are not on a cruise we will come to wave you off.

Graham.

• Like 9

@mamaofami what great news, no matter what time of day or night you receive it!  So glad to hear he's making good progress.  Take care of you, too, because when he gets home, you're going to need a lot of energy to keep the rehab going.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks.

We have seen QE2, Disney,MSC, Marella,Fred Olsen as well as the daily DFDS ferry at North Shields.

If Prinsendam arrives in Summer 2022 if we are not on a cruise we will come to wave you off.

Graham.

I WISH it was the Prinsendam taking us there next year.  That cruise will be on Island Princess.  The date will be July 27 and the itinerary says Newcastle UK.  Do cruise ships go all the way up the Tyne river to Newcastle upon Tyne?  If so we would love to see you there!

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Sam was moved last night from the ICUnto a room on the neuro floor and the ever efficient hospital called me at 2am to let me know. He continues to make progress and we don’t know how much longer he will be in the hospital before going to rehab. I’m grateful for every day.we just never know from one minute to the next how or what will happen to our loved ones.

Carol

Great news!  And your last sentence, says it all.  Prayers for Sam's continued recovery.

• Like 10

We attended the Cellar Master's dinner on the Koningsdam during our east bound TA in 2018. They started us off with Lemon Drops -

20180402_142831.thumb.jpg.51bca5b1891dda4d33a7f3af6d4105ff.jpg20180402_142913.thumb.jpg.a5bf348f49f5f1ef37765102551abb47.jpg

Since it is Herb & Spice day, let me put in a plug for HAL's Tuscan Lemon Drop (copied from a HAL mixology class) -

Tuscan Lemon Drop

1/8th lemon wedge

1.5 oz Citron

0.5 oz Limoncello

1 oz lemon/lime sour

Small sprig of fresh rosemary

Squeeze or muddle lemon into mixer glass, bend (or muddle) rosemary sprig into mixer glass, add liquor and ice and shake vigorously. Strain into superfine sugar rimmed martini glass, garnish with rosemary sprig.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1