What’s happened to the Koningsdam?

onthegogirl

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I thought it interesting that the Koningsdam was not selected to sail whatever the 2021 Alaska cruises will be.  

Where is she?  

She has been hanging around the San Diego area...going in regularly for resupply, and has done her Covid vacinating there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just curious, where did you get that info? 

Curious as well. No return from OP.

How is it, from your picture, you are getting younger every year? I know retirement is wonderful...but I am not looking younger every year!!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I thought it interesting that the Koningsdam was not selected to sail whatever the 2021 Alaska cruises will be.  

Where is she?  

She would have never been a good fit as a replacement ship. She was to sail Alaska but with Canada Embarkation. The Seattle Sailings were originally Eurodam  and Oosterdam. They ultimately chose Eurodam but then since she was in Europe the only EASY choice that was still hanging around the Pacific was Nieuw Amsterdam her twin sister ship. Everyone booked on the Eurodam was switch to the exact same cabin they had previously on Eurodam. It made it much easier for HAL. While Koningsdam was newer she has numerous different categories and cabin numbers and locations are not the same.

Hopefully she will start back up in the fall out of San Diego. I think a lot will depend on how smooth the Alaska  season goes and also getting crew to the states and vaccinated.

HAL currently has too many ships they are concerned with getting up and cruising, once they get Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Westerdam and Rotterdam sailing they then can concentrate on the next phase of ships starting.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

She would have never been a good fit as a replacement ship. She was to sail Alaska but with Canada Embarkation. The Seattle Sailings were originally Eurodam  and Oosterdam. They ultimately chose Eurodam but then since she was in Europe the only EASY choice that was still hanging around the Pacific was Nieuw Amsterdam her twin sister ship. Everyone booked on the Eurodam was switch to the exact same cabin they had previously on Eurodam. It made it much easier for HAL. While Koningsdam was newer she has numerous different categories and cabin numbers and locations are not the same.

Hopefully she will start back up in the fall out of San Diego. I think a lot will depend on how smooth the Alaska  season goes and also getting crew to the states and vaccinated.

HAL currently has too many ships they are concerned with getting up and cruising, once they get Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Westerdam and Rotterdam sailing they then can concentrate on the next phase of ships starting.  

Frankly Lisa, I think HAL made a big mistake in not building two more ships in the Signature Class.  The Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are two of the nicest ships on the line. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Here's the Eurodam as seen from the deck of the Nieuw Amsterdam in January 2020.

Eurodam.thumb.jpg.d46490069beac7e8f07d5df0c21a4625.jpg

Eurodam is our favorite ship.  Hopefully we're going to like her sister just as much. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 11:57 AM, onthegogirl said:

Wondering why she’s not sailing next year.

The Koningsdam first cruise is Mexico on October 24, 2021. And she does her first cruise on the January 19th to Hawaii. After that, alternating between Mexico and Hawaii.

9 hours ago, Himself said:

Frankly Lisa, I think HAL made a big mistake in not building two more ships in the Signature Class.  The Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are two of the nicest ships on the line. 

I agree with this thought.  The thinking in the Executive Offices of HAL at the time may have been "we need to improve main theater entertainment.  We need something innovative in concept".  The birth of the World Stage was the result of such thinking, in my opinion.  But, what was done with such capabilities of the theater?  In my one experience on Nieuw Statendam--NOT MUCH!  

For a very long time, in my opinion, regarding entertainment, there has been a significant gap between what is proposed and then what the final product is.  

Millions have been spent on the main theaters' capabilities on the Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle Class ships that have been wasted.  The theaters on all of these ships have the capability of producing "knock your socks off" presentations.  I have memory of only two of such a presentation:  a Country/Western show on the Westerdam and the Cantare show on Nieuw Amsterdam.  

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 9:30 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Curious as well. No return from OP.

How is it, from your picture, you are getting younger every year? I know retirement is wonderful...but I am not looking younger every year!!😁

He's a vampire.  🦇 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

He's a vampire.  🦇 😁

Speaking of which, three vampires walk into a bar. The first one says, "I'll have a pint of blood." The second one says, "I'll have one, too." The third one says, "I'll have a pint of plasma." The bartender says, "So, that'll be two Bloods and a Blood Lite?"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Speaking of which, three vampires walk into a bar. The first one says, "I'll have a pint of blood." The second one says, "I'll have one, too." The third one says, "I'll have a pint of plasma." The bartender says, "So, that'll be two Bloods and a Blood Lite?"

Believe it, or not, I've never heard this one. Time for bed!  LOL 

Good night, Lestat.   😁

• Like 1