Waiting for tomorrow’s announcement is hard!

JEANMR1

We are waiting for tomorrow’s announcement for the Horizon to see if we’re still going on a cruise July 24th. It’s like worse than waiting for Christmas but with possibly bad results. Then again there was that year there were rocks on my side of the Christmas tree… but I digress. We are three vaccinated people but also have a 10-year-old who can’t be vaccinated. First I’m worrying whether or not there will be a cruise, then I’m worrying that it will be a vaccinated cruise, then I’m worrying my son won’t be one of the 5% that still get to go on. I know, first world problems.

I just wanna know there’s other people out there like me who are checking the boards about every 10 minutes to see if there’s any scrap of new information.

Thanks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I understand. My opinion on it is pretty solid especially after Carnival shutdown the site to submit for under 12 non-vaccinated. Many people never got the chance to submit, over 12 non-vaccinated were not considered, and who knows what other potential legal issues they could face. I think they take a step back after seeing all the frustration and chaos, set it straight, and say vaccinated only. Seriously, there would be so much ground for age discrimination on just one sailing that it could become Class Action. CCL would not want that on their hands and easier to nip it in the bud before it could get that far.

7 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I understand. My opinion on it is pretty solid especially after Carnival shutdown the site to submit for under 12 non-vaccinated. Many people never got the chance to submit, over 12 non-vaccinated were not considered, and who knows what other potential legal issues they could face. I think they take a step back after seeing all the frustration and chaos, set it straight, and say vaccinated only. Seriously, there would be so much ground for age discrimination on just one sailing that it could become Class Action. CCL would not want that on their hands and easier to nip it in the bud before it could get that far.

Age discrimination lawsuit would have zero legs in this case > much the same when other business entities restrict age. My friend, who is a lawyer mentioned this to me. There is a fundamental reason why 12 and under can't sail, and its not because the cruiseline felt like it. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

Age discrimination lawsuit would have zero legs in this case > much the same when other business entities restrict age. My friend, who is a lawyer mentioned this to me. There is a fundamental reason why 12 and under can't sail, and its not because the cruiseline felt like it. 

There is a fundamental reason over 12 are not vaccinated as well. This is not about a CDC order or any restriction by any government entity. The CDC guidance is clear: 95% of passengers can be unvaccinated. No where in any part of that direction to the cruise lines did age get put down on the document. Yes, under 12 cannot be vaccinated. However, the same is the case for some people over 12 and there is no mandate anywhere in the US that they have to be. This becomes a choice or decision by CCL to exclude that group. If that is the case, then they are open for litigation. It will take someone else with far more legal background than me to answer that. However, there will be enough people upset and a law firm more than willing to take it on.

1 hour ago, JEANMR1 said:

We are waiting for tomorrow’s announcement for the Horizon to see if we’re still going on a cruise July 24th. It’s like worse than waiting for Christmas but with possibly bad results. Then again there was that year there were rocks on my side of the Christmas tree… but I digress. We are three vaccinated people but also have a 10-year-old who can’t be vaccinated. First I’m worrying whether or not there will be a cruise, then I’m worrying that it will be a vaccinated cruise, then I’m worrying my son won’t be one of the 5% that still get to go on. I know, first world problems.

I just wanna know there’s other people out there like me who are checking the boards about every 10 minutes to see if there’s any scrap of new information.

Thanks

I've read 2 threads that apply to you. 1) @yerdyerds just posted a copy of the new FB announcement about which ships are a go through Aug. the big news is MG starting 7/31. Goes on to say Horizon, Vista, Breeze, and Miracle will continue from July through Aug. However, 2) seen another post that July cruisers have overwhelmed a link to submit for unvaxxed under 12. Did you receive an email and submit your request for a slot in the 5% group?

I haven’t gotten the email yet because I’m on the horizon. That being said I did go on the link yesterday and put in for it but I think it was meant just for Galveston.

What on earth does this mean?

E49EAE93-374C-43CD-890E-C3162E17D378.jpeg

4 minutes ago, JEANMR1 said:

I haven’t gotten the email yet because I’m on the horizon. That being said I did go on the link yesterday and put in for it but I think it was meant just for Galveston.

What on earth does this mean?

E49EAE93-374C-43CD-890E-C3162E17D378.jpeg

Horizon restart for July is still on. Your best hope is if they approve vaccines for under 12 in the next 30 days and your family would be fully vaxxed. I don't like the looks of the overwhelming demand to the first email of trying to squeeze into the 5% slots.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

There is a fundamental reason over 12 are not vaccinated as well. This is not about a CDC order or any restriction by any government entity. The CDC guidance is clear: 95% of passengers can be unvaccinated. No where in any part of that direction to the cruise lines did age get put down on the document. Yes, under 12 cannot be vaccinated. However, the same is the case for some people over 12 and there is no mandate anywhere in the US that they have to be. This becomes a choice or decision by CCL to exclude that group. If that is the case, then they are open for litigation. It will take someone else with far more legal background than me to answer that. However, there will be enough people upset and a law firm more than willing to take it on.

Any lawsuit will be a waste of time and puffing of the chest and and leed to a bruised ego. Business has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason (outside of protected class). Age discrimination is a federal act and for employment.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The link was not limited to children under 12, it was for children under 12 who cannot be vaccinated and exemptions as required by federal law.  So far, no one from the first sailing out (July 3, Vista) has been notified confirmation that they were approved for the 5%.  We are still waiting.  The deadline to cancel/rebook this specific sailing (July 3, Vista) is Monday June 14th.

1 hour ago, JEANMR1 said:

We are three vaccinated people but also have a 10-year-old who can’t be vaccinated. First I’m worrying whether or not there will be a cruise, then I’m worrying that it will be a vaccinated cruise, then I’m worrying my son won’t be one of the 5% that still get to go on. I know, first world problems.

We are also a family with small children too young to be vaccinated. We decided to avoid this "5% lottery" and just booked with Celebrity which confirmed our sailing without having to worry about being kicked off at a later date (at least that's what they said). According to the confirmation, kids will receive a complimentary test on embarkation day. 

Best of luck with your cruise plans! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

Age discrimination only affects us old people (40 and over).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jdoc2007 said:

The link was not limited to children under 12, it was for children under 12 who cannot be vaccinated and exemptions as required by federal law.  So far, no one from the first sailing out (July 3, Vista) has been notified confirmation that they were approved for the 5%.  We are still waiting.  The deadline to cancel/rebook this specific sailing (July 3, Vista) is Monday June 14th.

Actually I just got off the phone w Carnival and she said my aug 28 vista deadline will not be extended. Also there will only be yes or no question on online check in for vaccine you then must show your card at port or be denied boarding no refund

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tapi said:

We are also a family with small children too young to be vaccinated. We decided to avoid this "5% lottery" and just booked with Celebrity which confirmed our sailing without having to worry about being kicked off at a later date (at least that's what they said). According to the confirmation, kids will receive a complimentary test on embarkation day. 

Best of luck with your cruise plans! 

that is what celebrity is saying. However, CDC has said cruise lines aren’t sailing without test cruises unless 95% are vaccinated, and they aren’t scheduling test cruises. However, they may anticipate not having enough under 12 cruisers to need to do a 5% lottery. Will have to wait and see on that. 

One of the problems with the Vista exemptions were people who weren't qualified filling up the queue. Once they toss those, they would reopen, me thinks.

I doubt those picked to be in the 5% will be first come first served, but some sort of random drawing of those eligible. I think any over the age of 12 will have to do a complete documentation job of why they should be considered and maybe subject to review by a Carnival doctor.

12 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

that is what celebrity is saying. However, CDC has said cruise lines aren’t sailing without test cruises unless 95% are vaccinated, and they aren’t scheduling test cruises. However, they may anticipate not having enough under 12 cruisers to need to do a 5% lottery. Will have to wait and see on that. 

What my TA told me after speaking to Celebrity is that they will not allow bookings with small children that exceed the 5% threshold. Effective August 31st, every single guest age 12 and over will be required to be vaccinated (with some specific exceptions). My sailing went on sale a few days ago, and there were tons of cabins to choose from when I booked, so I'm guessing that they are well under reaching the threshold at this time. We'll see what happens! 

I also noticed that the 3rd and 4th guest rate was considerably more expensive than the 1st and 2nd guest rate, which will most likely deter many families with small children from booking. 

7 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I also noticed that the 3rd and 4th guest rate was considerably more expensive than the 1st and 2nd guest rate, which will most likely deter many families with small children from booking. 

good strategy

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tapi said:

My guess is that is more to sell more cabins. Perhaps they are capacity limited by total people.

• Like 1

Just now, BlerkOne said:

My guess is that is more to sell more cabins. Perhaps they are capacity limited by total people.

Well, that's what we did. We  booked 2 connecting balconies instead of 1 oceanview stateroom with a window for 4. Saved us over $1000! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Age discrimination only affects us old people (40 and over).

ADEA is related to employment discrimination for 40 and over, this is not an employment issue.  There are many other scenarios where age discrimination is rampant.  When I was little I never got to "go first" on anything, because I was the middle child.  It was always "(brother #1) is first because he's oldest" or "brother #3 is first because he's youngest/smallest"... as you can see I haven't gotten over it yet at age 58.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

ADEA is related to employment discrimination for 40 and over, this is not an employment issue.  There are many other scenarios where age discrimination is rampant.  When I was little I never got to "go first" on anything, because I was the middle child.  It was always "(brother #1) is first because he's oldest" or "brother #3 is first because he's youngest/smallest"... as you can see I haven't gotten over it yet at age 58.

Middle children always get the short end of the stick.  Maybe that's why as an adult who gets to make the decisions, I like to plan ahead so I can get the best of everything.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2