Didn't take long

10 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

There is a CC member onboard and has a thread on the procedures.

I did not want to read the entire thread, but does the Pax/poster indicate if vaccinated.

if vaccinat

11 minutes ago, nelblu said:

So in a sense, the cruise was basically over and did not really impact Paxs, other than the testing done to enter the US.  Do we know if Celebrity did pre-sail testing.  If not these two individuals could have had C 19 for some time.

The cruise is not over. It ends tomorrow morning. Pre-sail testing was done to comply with SXM entry requirements within 120 hours of arriving in the country and then a Celebrity mandated PCR test within 72 hours of sailing.  We all know an infection can be dormant (don’t know if that’s the right word) for up to 7-10 days before manifesting in a test. So who knows when they were infected. 

Let me provide some info from personal experience.

First, it makes complete sense that 2 people in the same cabin tested positive.  Mr Wolf and I both had covid last September.  He was patient zero.  We went to dinner with friends and the next morning he felt like he was getting a cold.  To be careful, we both left work just to be safe.  The next day he had fever and got covid tested.  Day after - positive.  Within 2 days our friends were sick and tested positive.  I was not tested since I was asymptomatic. 6 days later, I lost my smell and yep - positive. 5 weeks later, Mr Wolf finally tests negative after 4 positive tests.  Fast forward to December and Mr Wolf has to have a cardiac ablation since Evil Covid sent him into aflutter.  Hospital required a covid test even though he already had it and had lots of antibodies.  He tested positive.  Surgery canceled even though his doctor said he was not contagious and did NOT have covid.  Once you have it, you can still test positive since the virus can still be present in your body.

Now, not knowing these people but since they are asymptomatic and were vaccinated, it's possible if they previously had covid, that could explain the random positive test.  Remember, Mr Wolf tested negative in October but positive in December.  And was never sick again.  Rapid tests are not as accurate as PCR tests.  In fact, my clients who hire talent for their projects ONLY do PCR tests for that reason.  Hopefully, the isolation will work, they will remain asymptomatic and everyone else can enjoy their cruise.  Sorry they are impacted but we all know going in that it's a possibility.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It would be interesting to randomly test 1,000 vaxx people right now and see how many (if any) would test positive.

I think there will always be someone who tests positive with or without symptoms. Of course this is just speculation on my part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wolfganghowell said:

Let me provide some info from personal experience.

First, it makes complete sense that 2 people in the same cabin tested positive.  Mr Wolf and I both had covid last September.  He was patient zero.  We went to dinner with friends and the next morning he felt like he was getting a cold.  To be careful, we both left work just to be safe.  The next day he had fever and got covid tested.  Day after - positive.  Within 2 days our friends were sick and tested positive.  I was not tested since I was asymptomatic. 6 days later, I lost my smell and yep - positive. 5 weeks later, Mr Wolf finally tests negative after 4 positive tests.  Fast forward to December and Mr Wolf has to have a cardiac ablation since Evil Covid sent him into aflutter.  Hospital required a covid test even though he already had it and had lots of antibodies.  He tested positive.  Surgery canceled even though his doctor said he was not contagious and did NOT have covid.  Once you have it, you can still test positive since the virus can still be present in your body.

Now, not knowing these people but since they are asymptomatic and were vaccinated, it's possible if they previously had covid, that could explain the random positive test.  Remember, Mr Wolf tested negative in October but positive in December.  And was never sick again.  Rapid tests are not as accurate as PCR tests.  In fact, my clients who hire talent for their projects ONLY do PCR tests for that reason.  Hopefully, the isolation will work, they will remain asymptomatic and everyone else can enjoy their cruise.  Sorry they are impacted but we all know going in that it's a possibility.

bingo

3 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

It would be interesting to randomly test 1,000 vaxx people right now and see how many (if any) would test positive.

I think there will always be someone who tests positive with or without symptoms. Of course this is just speculation on my part.

You would have some. There is always false positives,a symtomatic etc. Asymptomatics arent even an issue. Cdc doesnt even want positive asymtomatic numbers anymore because the risk of an asymptomatic person infecting someone is non existant,very low. Yes this is a change from early cdc talk. Asymtomatics are not coughing,sneezing etc. And we now know its nit living on surfaces. Testing for no reason is just absurd. Lets take apart your car engine entirely to see if we can find a problem even though its working perfectly. Same thing. Im sure someone will disagree with me. I refer you to cdc website. They dont want asymptomatic numbers skewing the true numbers any more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

You would have some. There is always false positives,a symtomatic etc. Asymptomatics arent even an issue. Cdc doesnt even want positive asymtomatic numbers anymore because the risk of an asymptomatic person infecting someone is non existant,very low. Yes this is a change from early cdc talk. Asymtomatics are not coughing,sneezing etc. And we now know its nit living on surfaces. Testing for no reason is just absurd. Lets take apart your car engine entirely to see if we can find a problem even though its working perfectly. Same thing. Im sure someone will disagree with me. I refer you to cdc website. They dont want asymptomatic numbers skewing the true numbers any more.

That makes sense to me.  

8 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

This is incorrect (items in bold).  Asymptomatic positive testing individuals can shed the virus and spread the disease, hence the need for isolation and why both people in the cabin were tested as positive.  The fact both were positive suggests we very likely har active shedding. Under your world view shouldnt only one person have tested positive in the cabin?  Think about it.

Why the desire to spread false information?  Please consider reading up on the disease a bit.  Coughing or sneezing is not required, only some amount of time in an enclosed space where people can be breathing the same air (like a cruise ship dining room table or cabin, for example).

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

I read this as well, but apparently the unvaccinated may be getting the same one from earlier.  I heard on news yesterday how 18 died from fully vaccinated, however only 8 will count in the covid numbers since the others died with covid.  This is complete opposite of how the prior yr. how all were counted as covid no matter what else was the cause.

Just now, Pizzasteve said:

This is incorrect (items in bold).  Asymptomatic positive testing individuals can shed virus and spread the disease, hence the isolation.  

Why the desire to spread false information?  Please consider reading up on the disease a bit.  Coughing or sneezing is not required, only some anout if time in an enclosed space where people are breathing the same air (like a cruise ship dining room table, for example).

That's correct that asymptomatic positive can still spread, but why doesn't the cdc require covid testing now for the vaccinated that come in contact with a covid case?  Just when they show symptoms.  Many of these asymptomatic vaccinated cases only came up similar to these 2 on the cruise ship.  A company required or a govt upon crossing a border.  So there could be many asymptomatic cases in the vaccinated that no one sees or counts.  

42 minutes ago, nelblu said:

So in a sense, the cruise was basically over and did not really impact Paxs, other than the testing done to enter the US.  Do we know if Celebrity did pre-sail testing.  If not these two individuals could have had C 19 for some time.

It did impact passengers who were deemed, by contact tracing, to have been in close proximity  the 2 pax who tested positive. (details in link below)

I'm in quarantine on Celebrity Millennium

1 minute ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

It did impact passengers who were deemed, by contact tracing, to have been in close proximity  the 2 pax who tested positive. (details in link below)

I'm in quarantine on Celebrity Millennium

So it seems the methods always in place are back in place when someone is tested who otherwise is not required by cdc.  

I fully expected it, a ship is not unlike a city land based, cases haven't stopped completely there either and nobody gets excited right?  In a ship's case it is the ideal quarantine situation too.  You can't police people land based you can on ship.  Best of all worlds.  Get vaxd, no worries.  And that's all....😝

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sept10dsm said:

That's correct that asymptomatic positive can still spread, but why doesn't the cdc require covid testing now for the vaccinated that come in contact with a covid case?  Just when they show symptoms.  Many of these asymptomatic vaccinated cases only came up similar to these 2 on the cruise ship.  A company required or a govt upon crossing a border.  So there could be many asymptomatic cases in the vaccinated that no one sees or counts.  

Perhaps. I was only advocating that you post correct information so as to not mislead people into false thinking based on wrong assumptions.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

So does the protocols apply to both Vax & Un-Vaxxed.

Apparently everyone over 16 had to show proof of vaccine. I believe he said masks were optional onboard. He mentioned this:

"Celebrity updated their policy and also required a test, 72 hours prior to boarding. I did have to get another test, but going forward people should be aware of the rules and schedule their tests accordingly.

Blue Dot -   We were greeted by pier workers who asked to see passports, vaccine cards and covid tests with the stamp from the airport. They took our luggage and brought us to a check in table outside of the physical check in area. 

Red Dot - At this check in table they asked to see our boarding pass and the people who took our luggage confirmed they had reviewed our travel docs. Once cleared here we were able to enter inside.

Green Dot - Once inside, and because we arrived early, we had to wait. There was much positive energy from both guests and crew. Some crew members said they were more excited than the guests. 

We waited for about 10 mins and then were brought to the check in area. I believe suite guests check in at a different part of the building, at an actual check in counter. We were not in a suite, so we checked in with someone with an iPad standing in the middle of the waiting area. 

During check in (green dot), we were asked to remove our masks for the first time so that our faces could be compared to our passports. With the iPad, the Celebrity employee scanned our boarding pass and then asked to see our documents. First was our passport which she reviewed. She then asked for (and took a picture of) our CDC vaccine card. She also input the dates of the vaccine shots into the iPad. 

Next, she asked to see the covid test results which Celebrity required. She took a picture of that and uploaded it onto her iPad. 

The day prior to boarding via the Celebrity app, we answered the health questionnaire, which she had a copy of on her iPad. She asked if anything had changed. 

Once that was complete she gave us a wrist band and we moved to the immigration line. I think the wrist band signified we had checked in. 

Immigration asked for us to remove our masks and for our passports. He had a master listing of all those sailing and he crossed our names off. 

We were all set and clear to board! From the moment we exited the taxi (which was $15 total from hotel to pier) to when we exited the check in building, it was less than 30 mins. It was a super easy and efficient process. 

We exited at the point of the yellow dot, pictured above, and walked to the ship.

Celebrity is testing for COVID at the check in location so if your test is not valid, you can take one. I don’t know how much it costs. 

The crew is serving us at the buffet. It’s actually very nice and I would be ok if it stayed like that forever. For 1- it’s a lot cleaner and 2- I eat a lot less 😅

The muster drill you watch on the tv in your cabin and then proceed to your muster station where they show you how to put on a life jacket. They scan your card and then give you a green sticker to put on your room card to show you complete the briefing. "

Just now, BecciBoo said:

I fully expected it, a ship is not unlike a city land based, cases haven't stopped completely there either and nobody gets excited right?  In a ship's case it is the ideal quarantine situation too.  You can't police people land based you can on ship.  Best of all worlds.  Get vaxd, no worries.  And that's all....😝

Yes, and I completely get it.  But having all vaccinated on the ships may end up proving that the vaccinated do still test positive thus having the rules go be to quarantine etc. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BOOKBOOKBOOK said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-b/news/6174/

It's a regular revenue cruise, and it's the first one with a homeport in the Caribbean. Test cruises will only be coming out of US homeports per the CDC's CSO. The same ship will have its second Caribbean itinerary in two days.

This is the info I was waiting to read - the sailing started from a homeport in the Caribbean and not the U.S..  I'm sure, as I read further or as more info becomes available on this, that every measure was taken to prevent this, but something slipped through and now it's just a matter of identifying where and what needs to be done.

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

No variant is more contagious than any other.  

When you mass test people like the cruise lines will do, the odds of false positives on the ship are very high.

“No variant more contagious” !!  Have you seen what is happening in the UK with the Delta (Indian) variant.  They have found it is 60% more contagious and cases are sky rocketing.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, wolfganghowell said:

Celebrity has required all passengers to be vaccinated.

Therefore, we have to assume the same protocols (testing for both Vax & un-Vaxxed) will be in place when and if sailing from US ports.

I wish the CDC and the cruise lines would follow the CDC’s own advice and stop testing asymptomatic vaccinated people. Attached is CDC interim guidance from May 28, 2021 which says vaccinated people should refrain from screening testing. 

E7717C97-136D-4BA7-8860-AE66F3A1D9B9.png

Edited by radarcruiser
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Catnip said:

But it would be their own CHOICE, right?  Even Granny's choice. My 89-yr old MIL chooses not to get the jab, and it's her choice.  
And these 2 passengers were not unvaccinated, am I correct?  Or have I read the news reports wrong?  So apparently, even vaxx passengers can test positive for covid.  As  has been reported for months now.

Yes it is totally their choice, just not one I would make right now without a shot. I have been vaccinated and I wouldn’t go right now, want to let it settled a bit and gets the kinks worked out. It is good that this happened so early in the restart, it might help the cruise lines fine tune some things.