Could PVSA finally be gone for good.

4 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

I don't believe the pipeline and the port closures are related.

I agree, I don't think there is any connection between the two events.  Both are regrettable but unrelated.

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

The aspects of the PSVA that need to be addressed before it could be gone for good would include where the ships would be built, under whose tax authority could it be registered and the bigger issue, as it's effects multiple governmental departments, is do they require an all American crew or can they issue specialty visas for all employees which allows them to work just in the US. 

All of these are issues, no doubt.  However, for the first time in history, because of Canada's intransigence, the United States was able to unanimously pass a temporary bill to make an allowance for cruise ships.  I'm not sure it would be an overwhelming task to make it permanent. 

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

As someone who travels 50k miles in the air a year, 2 out of the 4 worst TSA lines I've ever had were in SEA. They also rank among the 10 worst experiences I've had in any airport. 

Ditto, I used to fly out of SEA all the time.  It was and still is the worst airport.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:21 AM, DirtyDawg said:

Vancouver but it's one of the greatest cities in North America

Amen to that, clean, beautiful and the airport is spectacular! Like a nature museum, we loved it....now that Seattle has become the scumsuck capitol of the world, we will never return there...shame, we enjoyed it 4 years ago.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 6:37 AM, DirtyDawg said:

Is there any other ports on the west coast of the U.S. that could handle the volume of Vancouver?  Could Seattle even handle a big increase in cruise traffic? I'm sure things will change if the PVSA is scrapped or modified but exactly what the net net results would be for Vancouver  or Victoria tourism is way too early to be known.

Seattle is building a new cruise terminal downtown but construction hasn't even started yet, so completion is years away.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with those who said Seattle has really gone downhill.  I live in the Seattle area now and due to the steep downward spiral I've seen since I've been here, especially in the last year, I do not recommend it as a destination.  I work downtown so I get to see what happens daily on the streets, along with the fact the police no longer have the power to stop it.  It's really maddening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

As someone who travels 50k miles in the air a year, 2 out of the 4 worst TSA lines I've ever had were in SEA. They also rank among the 10 worst experiences I've had in any airport. 

Understood. I didn't realize that the person I responded to was talking about the airport. 

12 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Seattle is building a new cruise terminal downtown but construction hasn't even started yet, so completion is years away.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with those who said Seattle has really gone downhill.  I live in the Seattle area now and due to the steep downward spiral I've seen since I've been here, especially in the last year, I do not recommend it as a destination.  I work downtown so I get to see what happens daily on the streets, along with the fact the police no longer have the power to stop it.  It's really maddening.

I feel for you folks so much.  I was just up in your area last week (came home on Monday).  The deterioration of the downtown area over the last decade has been unbelievable.  I spent several nights working downtown last week and saw first hand what has transpired in just the last couple of years since i had been there last.  That being said, if Canada isn't careful they could ruin a very good thing that they have in cruise the industry.  Both the Feds in Ottawa and the provincial govt. especially need to smarten up.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/vaughn-palmer-john-horgan-hasnt-take-threat-to-b-c-cruise-ship-industry-seriously

Just now, time4u2go said:

Understood. I didn't realize that the person I responded to was talking about the airport. 

Easy to be confused. Two things are being discussed simultaneously. 1. Seattle airport is lousy and 2. Seattle's downtown experience as a tourist destination, which used to be one of my favorites, is deteriorating rapidly.  

Seattle has had a few tough years and the last 2 have been brutal.  We will be getting a new mayor next year and we have some very spirited races starting up for the city council.   Some of the reports on the national news have been a bit more that what I have experienced.

Yes, there is an additional cruise ship terminal planned for Seattle.  It has been on hold due to Covid.

Upon it's completion it will expand capacity but can not replace all the traffic from Vancouver.  Vancouver would remain an option and the the ports can compete for the business.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

Seattle has had a few tough years and the last 2 have been brutal.  We will be getting a new mayor next year and we have some very spirited races starting up for the city council.   Some of the reports on the national news have been a bit more that what I have experienced.

Yes, there is an additional cruise ship terminal planned for Seattle.  It has been on hold due to Covid.

Upon it's completion it will expand capacity but can not replace all the traffic from Vancouver.  Vancouver would remain an option and the the ports can compete for the business.

This is my thought as well.  Vancouver is still in play for the NB and SB one ways but Victoria will end up being the red headed step child left in the attic.

Vancouver is fantastically beautiful city that is well worth spending a few day visiting pre and post cruise.  Victoria for a few hour stop as an add on to an Alaska cruise is forgettable.  

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 1:32 AM, sgmn said:

I loved our stop in Victoria.  My husband has old friends there from his childhood who met us at the port and spent the day with us.  It's a lovely island and I look forward to going back someday. I think it really adds to the Alaska cruises 

Apparently it's larger than Britain,  who knew?

Largest islands in the world

You are confusing Vitoria, the city on Vancouver Island, with Victoria Island in the far north of Canada.

Vancouver Island is large, but not that large.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

We will be getting a new mayor next year and we have some very spirited races starting up for the city council. 

I really hope that this proves to be the tonic the city needs.  I have loved Seattle and spent untold amounts of time there over the years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I agree, I don't think there is any connection between the two events.  Both are regrettable but unrelated.

All of these are issues, no doubt.  However, for the first time in history, because of Canada's intransigence, the United States was able to unanimously pass a temporary bill to make an allowance for cruise ships.  I'm not sure it would be an overwhelming task to make it permanent. 

It's just that the temporary override us a lot easier than the effect repealing it would have on multiple industries.

i agree the temporary override is easier.  What Canada and British Columbia need to be very careful about is giving US politicians the impetus to move forward with more permanent legislation.  When the Alaskan delegation came calling Premier Horgan didn't even return the call.  That's not going to end well for BC

6 hours ago, Aquahound said:

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I feel for you folks so much.  I was just up in your area last week (came home on Monday).  The deterioration of the downtown area over the last decade has been unbelievable.  I spent several nights working downtown last week and saw first hand what has transpired in just the last couple of years since i had been there last.  That being said, if Canada isn't careful they could ruin a very good thing that they have in cruise the industry.  Both the Feds in Ottawa and the provincial govt. especially need to smarten up.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/vaughn-palmer-john-horgan-hasnt-take-threat-to-b-c-cruise-ship-industry-seriously

5 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

So here’s my question to the residents and Dave who has spent extended time in Seattle.

We have a cruise booked next year on Ovation.  Originally 2020, then 2021 and now 2022.  Our original plan was to fly into Seattle a couple days early, stay close to Pike Place and see the city.

With the comments I’m seeing I’m wondering if we should just save the extra money that would cost and fly in on a later flight the day before, get a hotel at the airport and then get on the cruise in the morning and fly out the day the cruise returns. 

28 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So here’s my question to the residents and Dave who has spent extended time in Seattle.

We have a cruise booked next year on Ovation.  Originally 2020, then 2021 and now 2022.  Our original plan was to fly into Seattle a couple days early, stay close to Pike Place and see the city.

With the comments I’m seeing I’m wondering if we should just save the extra money that would cost and fly in on a later flight the day before, get a hotel at the airport and then get on the cruise in the morning and fly out the day the cruise returns. 

Honestly, I'm torn because i'm angry at what some have done to a city I love.  There are parts of Seattle that are still great and for years it was our weekend getaway spot but there has been so much deterioration. It is difficult to comment without it being political, so I'll tread carefully from here forward. In my opinion, so much of the deterioration is the result of political elements with the city council.  As  @Blizzard54 said an election is coming, hopefully that will bring about the change needed. 

That being said, last week I visited Pike Place market and the surrounding area.  During the day it wasn't that much different than it was years ago.  Although you can see evidence (graffiti, homeless encampment, etc... ) at night it is a completely different animal. 

Now some will say that that is true of many areas in metropolitan cities and while that may be so I always felt safe wandering about downtown at night in Seattle, not so much anymore. I'd still go, especially if you've never been, just exercise a little caution in the evening, especially so late at night.  

If you do go make sure one night dinner is at The Metropolitan Grill.  It is absolutely spectacular.

When we go this August we'll be spending a couple nights outside of Seattle on the Peninsula in a town called Poulsbo.  It's a Scandinavian themed town that reminds me of my father.  

Edited by Tree_skier

28 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Honestly, I'm torn because i'm angry at what some have done to a city I love.  There are parts of Seattle that are still great and for years it was our weekend getaway spot but there has been so much deterioration. It is difficult to comment without it being political, so I'll tread carefully from here forward. In my opinion, so much of the deterioration is the result of political elements with the city council.  As  @Blizzard54 said an election is coming, hopefully that will bring about the change needed. 

That being said, last week I visited Pike Place market and the surrounding area.  During the day it wasn't that much different than it was years ago.  Although you can see evidence (graffiti, homeless encampment, etc... ) at night it is a completely different animal. 

Now some will say that that is true of many areas in metropolitan cities and while that may be so I always felt safe wandering about downtown at night in Seattle, not so much anymore. I'd still go, especially if you've never been, just exercise a little caution in the evening, especially so late at night.  

If you do go make sure one night dinner is at The Metropolitan Grill.  It is absolutely spectacular.

When we go this August we'll be spending a couple nights outside of Seattle on the Peninsula in a town called Poulsbo.  It's a Scandinavian themed town that reminds me of my father.  

Thanks Dave.

We definitely won’t be out late night wandering around.  Most likely a 7:00 dinner then back to the hotel.  We would also be renting a car as one of the things we were looking forward to doing was the Boeing factory tour.  The Metropolitan looks amazing although I’m hesitant on taking my kids there. They are still at the stage that they are ordering their filet butterflied and we’ll done.😱

Yuck. Next time you think you support a regulation, take a look at how it often actually plays out. Now we're stuck with a system that makes us go to a particular port just to check off a box. Whether people would want to start in Seattle or Canada is an argument for another day and the market should decide it. Not some old law. I don't care what the explanation is of this tanged web we wove.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks Dave.

We definitely won’t be out late night wandering around.  Most likely a 7:00 dinner then back to the hotel.  We would also be renting a car as one of the things we were looking forward to doing was the Boeing factory tour.  The Metropolitan looks amazing although I’m hesitant on taking my kids there. They are still at the stage that they are ordering their filet butterflied and we’ll done.😱

If you're going to rent a car and will be there for a couple days, definitely take a trip to the Kitsap Peninsula.  Poulsbo, Silverdale, Port Townsend and most of all Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mountains.  A totally different vibe and speed than Seattle

• Like 5

On 6/13/2021 at 11:16 AM, nelblu said:

Think of an itinerary for the East Coast from Boston/NY to Miami & vice versa.  

Who's booking an itinerary to sail in the choppy Atlantic ocean just to go to Florida besides snowbirds. I won't even book the Oasis itinerary out of New Jersey because of the crappy itinerary with one of the stops being Florida.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Who's booking an itinerary to sail in the choppy Atlantic ocean just to go to Florida besides snowbirds. I won't even book the Oasis itinerary out of New Jersey because of the crappy itinerary with one of the stops being Florida.

There is a market because millions live in the Northeast and driving to the port is convienient. They don't care that much about itinerary. Almost all my cruises out of New York/New Jersey have been to Bermuda. Bermuda is an island paradise and I prefer Bermuda to any of the Caribbean. I would not book the Oasis itinerary except that we have a group that cruises every year and Oasis class ships and Royal Carribean in general is good for groups. You have stuff for the old folks, younger folks and children. So that could be an exception for me as Oasis class can be a destination and the ports can be ignored. I have been on every Oasis class ship except the newest one but only with groups. I would not book that class otherwise.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks Dave.

Another option would be to spend a couple days at the airport.  You could rent a car for the drive to the Boeing factory in Everett.  You can get to Pike Place market by taking the light rail from the airport.  If you stay near the market you have expensive hotels and high parking rates for the rental.  You can then shuttle to the pier when the time comes.  With 4 of you I believe UberXL or a VanTaxi would be the best options..

• Like 2