Alaska cruise

Wishing on a star

I know this is general, and not specific to Princess,  but I am just curious, if we ever cruise Alaska again,  Where are the best bear viewing excursions?

I wasn't sure if there was any better forum to post this?

I know there are excursions from Ketchican.  But I also see that this is Black Bear habitat.

I just happened across amazing video from Brooks Falls at Katmai Preserve.  And, these seem to be Alaskan Grizzly/Brown bears.   We have Black bears nearby where we live, so I would really want to see Alaskan Grizzly/Brown bears.

Any good tips?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I have learned a bit.

The one seaplane excursion from Ketchikan to Anan Creek is one that I had remembered hearing about.

That is the one/only place where you can see both Black and Brown Grizzly bears.  I am thinking that that on a Princess cruise, this would be the one opportunity to see Alaskan Brown Bears from port.

It is VERY pricey!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star

If you're ok with seeing them through binoculars then you might want to think about Juneau Tramway. Caveat: you must be able to walk up uneven inclines (not paved) quite a ways. The tram takes you up the 1st 1800' it's up to you to go to the top (3800+) but its an easy walk. We picked berries on the way, saw some interesting animals (1st time I ever saw a marmot just walking by --- guess they're used to us), but I needed the binoculars to watch bears in the river below.

This is not for those with limited vision (uneven ground) or mobility (walk). I couldn't see much from the tram landing, seemed to be just a gift shop & cafeteria

• Like 1

I love Princess so I hate to lead you in another direction but the best bear viewing we had was on a Holland America cruise to Alaska that stopped in Haines.

Six grizzlies fishing for salmon, and we were fairly close (doubt that would still be allowed).  It was labelled a Sunset Wildlife tour.

We have been to Anan 3 times.  We did them on a day trip out of Wrangell but I believe that the cruise lines also offer Anan trips.  Two of the times it was wonderful w lots of brown and black bears.  The 3d time it was just good.  Totally depends upon your timing as we were a bit earlier on the 3d trip and also upon the bears and the amount of salmon.  Be prepared to be awed if you luck out but also be prepared to be a bit disappointed if you have bad luck.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

My brother and sister in law went on an excursion in Icy Strait Point and there was a viewing platform where they could watch the grizzlies feeding on salmon in the river.  This was in late August and they were able to get so close, they could hear the bears crunching on the fish.   They said it was an excellent tour.  

We saw a grizzly on the shore when on a whale watching tour while in Icy Strait Point as well.  

We also went to the Fortress of the Bear while in Sitka once ... for sure you will see all sorts of bears there.  However, they aren't out in the wild.  They are all bears that have been rescued and they make their enclosures as close to nature as possible.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ehogan said:

I love Princess so I hate to lead you in another direction but the best bear viewing we had was on a Holland America cruise to Alaska that stopped in Haines.

Six grizzlies fishing for salmon, and we were fairly close (doubt that would still be allowed).  It was labelled a Sunset Wildlife tour.

What month?

Here is a web cam that will go "live" for the bear viewing season in Katmai Park in Alaska.  It will be live wild brown bear, so no control over what you might see  When the salmon run, you can see lots of brown bears fishing the stream.  Right now the highlight is on, (will give you a idea of what the bear viewing will be like  ,t will turn live.  You can also visit Brooks camp there to view the bears.

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ehogan said:

None of the cruise lines anywhere actually run their own tours but they contract w local tour companies.  Therefore the fact that you got good bear viewing on a HAL cruise doesn't mean that you would not get exactly the same experience on a Princess tour.  Basically it depends upon when you go, the bears and the salmon run.

As I mentioned on a post, we have done 3 trips to Anan with the same outfitter out of Wrangell.  Two of the trips had fantastic bear viewing.  The 3d was  bit earlier and conditions were probably different but the viewing was only good.  That's what happens on a nature tour.

DON

http://www.islandwings.com/bears.html

The single best excursion we have ever done.  Mid August and there were bears by the dozen.  After landing from the sea plane, we were accompanied by a ranger with a rifle for a walk of about 1/2 mile (guessing here) to the viewing platform.  

There is great viewing from the observation deck, and then visitors take turns going down a tube-like thing to near water's edge.  This can not be explained, it was so so exciting.

• Thanks 1

I lived in Alaska for four years and seeing bears is very hit and miss.  Occasionally we would have a black bear in the back yard.  Most often you see the grizzlies (brown bears) near the water because they are fish eaters.  They really like the fish carcass so hang around down river from the popular fishing sites...so an excursion on a river would be a great opportunity.  The black bears are more inland though sometimes are closer to the water and they eat berries and nuts and other types of vegetation.  If you do the land and cruise combo, you can often see bears roaming around Denali National Park. Good luck!!  Hope you see a bunch of them...but lots of other wildlife as well.

On my way back from spending 2 weeks in Alaska.

The best bear viewing changes by month and is often tied to the salmon runs. Suggest you do some online research or check with some of the charter flight companies. They can give you a good idea depending upon when you plan to cruise.

Cruise lines often sell viewing excursions even though it is out of season for the animals being viewed such as Puffins in Island in late September and early October, when the only puffin you will see is a stuffed one used by the guide.

Edited by nocl

We actually saw a grizzly once in Glacier Bay National Park, near Margerie Glacier. But you're more likely to see them if you are able to spend some time on land before or after the cruise. Denali National Park, for example. Kenai Fjords.