Nautica Questions

LGW59

Hello O cruisers!  Few questions re Nautica.  I know she was to have been refurbished in 2020 and Covid said oh no you don’t.  Now I read it will happen in 2021.  Assuming it does, I’m looking at an Athens to Barcelona cruise on board in May 2022.  I have two Celebrity cruises booked Apex and Beyond, after all of your feedback re Oceania, I want to move at least one of them to a similar O cruise.  This particular cruise includes Greece, several days in Turkey and then Italy.  I know you can’t comment on the potential refurb, so just looking for comments on the itinerary.  Nautica seems very similar to Regatta, which I am already booked on for Alaska cruise.  TIA!

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Hello O cruisers!  Few questions re Nautica.  I know she was to have been refurbished in 2020 and Covid said oh no you don’t.  Now I read it will happen in 2021.  Assuming it does, I’m looking at an Athens to Barcelona cruise on board in May 2022.  I have two Celebrity cruises booked Apex and Beyond, after all of your feedback re Oceania, I want to move at least one of them to a similar O cruise.  This particular cruise includes Greece, several days in Turkey and then Italy.  I know you can’t comment on the potential refurb, so just looking for comments on the itinerary.  Nautica seems very similar to Regatta, which I am already booked on for Alaska cruise.  TIA!

Nautica and Regatta (as well as Insignia and Sirena) are all “R” ships originally launched by Renaissance Cruise Line).

On 6/14/2021 at 10:08 PM, LGW59 said:

Sorry if I was not clear.  The cruise is Nautica: 10/26-11/7/2022.  Athens, Mitilini,, 2 days Istanbul, Izmir, sea, Sicily, Naples, Rome, Florence, Monte Carlo, Provence, Barcelona.  A couple ports I’ve already spent much time in, May get off to stretch my sea legs.  More looking for thoughts on overall cruise on Nautica.  Won’t get off ship in Rome or Monte Carlo.  Thoughts? TIA.

We sailed Regatta post refurb.  The room was nice but there's nothing they can do about the bathroom in rooms below PH.  They are tiny and the shower is especially so.  I believe all R class share this.  The refurbed PH has a nice shower the size of the tub that used to be there.  Please O veterans clarify anything I have wrong.

8 minutes ago, marieps said:

We sailed Regatta post refurb.  The room was nice but there's nothing they can do about the bathroom in rooms below PH.  They are tiny and the shower is especially so.  I believe all R class share this.  The refurbed PH has a nice shower the size of the tub that used to be there.  Please O veterans clarify anything I have wrong.

In the maritime world, “tiny” is a relative term.

We love the R ships for their smaller size - even on month long itineraries.  We prefer B cabins aft and find those cabins, including the bathrooms, completely adequate and actually generous in size when compared to the yachts we’ve owned or chartered over many years.

Nonetheless, it is understandable that someone new to cruising might find the accommodations a bit “tight” when compared to home. And, on the R ships, the size of the shower stall and position of the head will be a challenge for some passengers- particularly anyone who is morbidly obese.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In the maritime world, “tiny” is a relative term.

We love the R ships for their smaller size - even on month long itineraries.  We prefer B cabins aft and find those cabins, including the bathrooms, completely adequate and actually generous in size when compared to the yachts we’ve owned or chartered over many years.

Nonetheless, it is understandable that someone new to cruising might find the accommodations a bit “tight” when compared to home. And, on the R ships, the size of the shower stall and position of the head will be a challenge for some passengers- particularly anyone who is morbidly obese.

I think my description of "tiny" would be compared to the =X= ships to which the OP is familiar.  This OP is not new to cruising.  Just new to O.  Though I must say, were I ever to own or charter a yacht the bathroom size would not be tops on the list of considerations. 🙂

Edited by marieps
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, marieps said:

I think my description of "tiny" would be compared to the =X= ships to which the OP is familiar.  This OP is not new to cruising.  Just new to O.  Though I must say, were I ever to own or charter a yacht the bathroom size would not be tops on the list of considerations. 🙂

FWIW: Yacht Charter (preferably crewed vs bareboat for the most carefree experience) can be very reasonably (even surprisingly) priced. And, like the cruise industry, there’s different quality (accommodations/food/etc) levels.

In fact, through a top worldwide charter broker like Ed Hamilton (locate in Maine - last time I checked), you could arrange something like a 7-10 day Caribbean trip on a 60’ Catamaran that sleeps 8 (plus skipper and cook) for about the same per person cost as an Oceania A cabin. And that would include food and booze (choices that, along with itinerary) you work out with the crew beforehand. 

43 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW: Yacht Charter (preferably crewed vs bareboat for the most carefree experience) can be very reasonably (even surprisingly) priced. And, like the cruise industry, there’s different quality (accommodations/food/etc) levels.

In fact, through a top worldwide charter broker like Ed Hamilton (locate in Maine - last time I checked), you could arrange something like a 7-10 day Caribbean trip on a 60’ Catamaran that sleeps 8 (plus skipper and cook) for about the same per person cost as an Oceania A cabin. And that would include food and booze (choices that, along with itinerary) you work out with the crew beforehand. 

It's worth the time to consider, certainly.  Thanks so much.    

AFAIK

They just put a glass door on the shower stalls 

it probably helps make  it not so dark although  not a problem for us

some complained about the shower curtain getting too familiar with them 😉

The rest of the space  will not change  with the reburb

If it is a problem  them I suggest upgrading to a PH or above  if sailing on an R ship

JMO

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

AFAIK

They just put a glass door on the shower stalls 

it probably helps make  it not so dark although  not a problem for us

some complained about the shower curtain getting too familiar with them 😉

The rest of the space  will not change  with the reburb

If it is a problem  them I suggest upgrading to a PH or above  if sailing on an R ship

JMO

I agree with your opinion.  The Regatta shower had glass in Nov 2019.   Going right along with your thinking we booked a PH on Sirena, but sadly her TA was cancelled.

2 hours ago, marieps said:

I agree with your opinion.  The Regatta shower had glass in Nov 2019.   Going right along with your thinking we booked a PH on Sirena, but sadly her TA was cancelled.

Talk about a change in plans.  Decided to book Marina (renovation or not) 11 days Baltic/Scandinavia, 8/24/22-9/4/22.  Canceled a X Beyond from around same time frame.  The more I research and read these posts, the more I realize I am much more of an O than an X.  🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Talk about a change in plans.  Decided to book Marina (renovation or not) 11 days Baltic/Scandinavia, 8/24/22-9/4/22.  Canceled a X Beyond from around same time frame.  The more I research and read these posts, the more I realize I am much more of an O than an X.  🙂

I love the O ships. Have done both O and R and the larger ships are preferable. I am looking forward to the new ship coming out.

I am also more of an Oceania vs Celebrity, however timing and itinerary have to be the balance of which cruise line we choose. Never during ski season because DH would tell me to go without him 😉

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

We have had many wonderful =X= periences, and our long-time cruise friends with whom we travel often we first met on Eclipse.  Still, our

one O experience so far has us looking there first.  We love the smaller ship feel, and the longer voyages suit us in retirement.  An ATW is on our bucket list.  

Edited by marieps

Now for some really getting a taste of Oceania, try a B2B or a Grand Voyage of 25+ days and pick up some extra cruise credits. 
Our frustration with cancelled cruises led us to Booking a Monte Carlo to Rome to Miami cruise on Riviera in November 2021. Then another cancellation and we said, “Why Not” and added two 10 day cruises so we will start October 18 in Istanbul to Venice to Monte Carlo as another GV.  So far we are lucky because Marina in August and Riviera in October are sailing while the R Class ships are awaiting their return to sailing. Never be afraid of Waitlists with a Deposit so you are on the Priority list. 
One of our good Princess cruiser friends put their toe in the water on a 30 day Nautica sailing about 5 years ago and have NEVER GONE BACK. I tell first timers they will be “Spoiled” and so far have not been proven wrong.  
ENJOY 🚢🙏🥂🍽🍷👍

Gerry and Bonnie

• Like 1

I like your thinking of “Why Not”.  My DH and I were contemplating booking an Oceania cruise in January.  Since we’re seniors we said “What are we waiting for”.  The cruise is booked and I can’t wait!

9 minutes ago, Roccaforte said:

I like your thinking of “Why Not”.  My DH and I were contemplating booking an Oceania cruise in January.  Since we’re seniors we said “What are we waiting for”.  The cruise is booked and I can’t wait!

Love it as well!  Because of work I can’t do more than two weeks.  That all changes in March 2022 when I retire, 9 months away but who is counting!

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

9 months is nothing in the world of Covid, March is around the corner. Just Bookem Dano! Hope you remember Hawaii 5 O

I sure do remember it, was must watch with me and my grandmother, I had a secret crush on James MacArthur, just couldn’t tell anyone about it at the time 😎

On 6/15/2021 at 12:17 AM, PhD-iva said:

I guess I don’t really understand why people obsess about whether a ship has just been refurbished or not. I’ve been on 1 Oceania cruise, and it was a wonderful experience. I didn’t spend any time at all looking at the carpet to look for wear patterns, or watching for scuff marks on the walls. I was too busy having fun!

It’s not just refurbishment. « With changes so sweeping that the cruise line calls it a “re-inspiration” rather than a renovation, Oceania Cruises will be making a $100 million dollar investment over the next two years in its four Regatta-Class ships —Regatta, Insignia, Nautica, and Sirena. These changes are part of an ambitious multi-year project that the line has named OceaniaNEXT. « So I can understand the question from the OP. I am supposed to cruise on board Nautica in May/ June 2023 just before her dry dock for oceaniaNext. Not a big deal but frankly speaking would appreciate that dry dock happens before!

On 6/17/2021 at 4:09 PM, Roccaforte said:

We are on a back to back in January on RVA..cant wait!

Jancruz1

To be honest at the moment I am just hoping our Nautica cruise from Tokyo next year will sail! That said I do not agree with Oceania still advertising on their web site for the Nautica as 2023 to me is not really coming soon.

Rosalyn

“Coming Soon - We Invite You To Experience

THE RE-INSPIRATION OF CLASSIC ELEGANCE”

Just announced! Nautica December 2, 2021 sailing is cancelled.

The drydock will take place around this period.

Anyone know how many voyages are affected?

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We would like to provide an important update to your voyage aboard Nautica that is scheduled to depart on December 2, 2021. To accommodate the re-scheduling of the drydock required to complete Nautica’s dramatic Re-inspiration, we unfortunately must cancel this voyage. While this must come as a tremendous disappointment, please know that we did not take the decision lightly to disrupt your long-planned vacation. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

12 minutes ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Just announced! Nautica December 2, 2021 sailing is cancelled.

The drydock will take place around this period.

Anyone know how many voyages are affected?

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We would like to provide an important update to your voyage aboard Nautica that is scheduled to depart on December 2, 2021. To accommodate the re-scheduling of the drydock required to complete Nautica’s dramatic Re-inspiration, we unfortunately must cancel this voyage. While this must come as a tremendous disappointment, please know that we did not take the decision lightly to disrupt your long-planned vacation. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

We would like to provide an important update about Nautica’s upcoming voyages to Africa and Asia for the 2021-2022 season. To accommodate the re-scheduling of the drydock required to complete Nautica’s dramatic Re-inspiration, we unfortunately must cancel all currently scheduled voyages from October 6, 2021 through June 30, 2022.
Nautica will then re-enter service in April 2022 better than new and more beautiful than ever. On July 21st, 2021, we will be releasing a series of new Mediterranean, Greek Isles, and Holy Land itineraries departing between April 1, 2022 and June 30, 2022.
Nautica will resume her previously published voyage schedule beginning with the June 30, 2022 sailing from Istanbul.

• Like 1