Celebrity APEX -- So many categories!!

I'm a seasoned RCL cruiser, with a preference for the Oasis-class ships. I'm looking at giving Celebrity a go with a November 2021 sailing on Apex, and I am finding the cabin categories to be horribly confusing... infinite verandas come with infinite categories, I suppose.

I found a link which outlines all the categories, but it doesn't really help to rank them. On Royal, I know what I'm getting with a Balcony or a Junior Suite. With Celebrity, I have no idea how to compare 1A to 1B to C3 or E4 (all quotes I've received within $200/pp of each other). I am assuming 1A, Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Veranda, is the same cabin -- more or less -- to 1B, just in a more "desirable" location. I understand C3 to be Concierge Class, which will give me a similar cabin to 1A, but in an even more desirable location, plus some of the perks I would associate with the Junior Suite on Royal. I've also received a quote for E4, which is an Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda.

Is the difference there the Infinite portion of the veranda? I think that's something I want for the full Edge-class experience, right? If you had pricing all within $200/pp for each of those categories, which would you choose?

1A and 1B are porthole verandas 

E1-E4 are Infinite Verandas

C1-C3 are Concierge Class Infinite Verandas

A1-A2 are Aqua Class Infinite Verandas 

SV is an aft cabin with a traditional balcony 

Concierge Class comes with a negligible amount of extra 'perks' but higher deck.

Aqua Class provides a separate restaurant, thermal spa pass, nicer shower, etc. Will be decks 9 and 10 only.

All of the E's, Concierge Class and Aqua cabins will still have an Infinite Veranda. The lower the number (E1 vs E4) the higher the price for the most part. 

For a $400 difference, I would do Aqua Class for Blu and the thermal spa. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Man, I love CC! I spent more than hour searching the web and didn't get an answer; I post here and within 3 minutes I now understand the difference. Thanks @Jeremiah1212!

It doesn't look like the Aqua Class is available for the sailing I'm looking at, though I do love the thermal suite on Oasis-class. I think I'll just go with the C3, and pay for the thermal suite with the OBC I get.

One more question, though... how can you have a veranda on a porthole? Seems like it would be a tight squeeze to get outside, no? 

Edited by bruzin_for_a_cruizin

There’s a sliding glass door between the room and the veranda. The round opening is on the outside. No tight squeeze involved as you move from the room to the balconyThere’s a sliding glass door between the room and the veranda. The round opening is on the outside. No tight squeeze involved as you move from the room to the balcony

6491E7B7-7BAB-4274-AFB3-61BD906C9FCB.jpeg

27B71887-A509-4386-AA72-4FC4FF1BE0C7.jpeg

I have done Concierge class--it is not worth one extra dollar, imo. 

If you can get SV--TAKE IT--bigger room, bigger, more traditional balcony.

IV--Seems you hate it or its OK. Not sure anyone LOVES it. Why? It's not a balcony in the traditional sense...more like a sunroom. It makes the room feel bigger, but the "balcony" feel is lost. (Plus the issue that the captain can LOCK these windows for various reasons, the window has a loud mechanism to open, there is no way to sit on the balcony w/o the blinds being up--and when the balcony window is open, the A/C goes off)

We have 1A/1B booked on Apex in March. It does have a balcony door & no window on the top, so several of the IV issues are resolved. It is a smaller balcony & it still the very enclosed balcony feel.

• Like 2

You could book a lower suite, but an SV would definitely be my next choice unless you cannot do the walk...you said that you have done a junior suite on Royal...just a thought!  Cabins always seem confusing at first, but then it gets easier.  If you can splurge, go for Retreat life!  A real balcony to me is a no brainer!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3

I booked in a SV on board Apex in three days. I can ´t wait. Even though I never stayed in a IV , I prefer a realy balcony. And after my SV on board Silhouette back in 2019 I also fell in love with those. The extra walk is just exactly right for me! And the stunning view´s- love love love them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

I'm a seasoned RCL cruiser, with a preference for the Oasis-class ships. I'm looking at giving Celebrity a go with a November 2021 sailing on Apex, and I am finding the cabin categories to be horribly confusing... infinite verandas come with infinite categories, I suppose.

I found a link which outlines all the categories, but it doesn't really help to rank them. On Royal, I know what I'm getting with a Balcony or a Junior Suite. With Celebrity, I have no idea how to compare 1A to 1B to C3 or E4 (all quotes I've received within $200/pp of each other). I am assuming 1A, Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Veranda, is the same cabin -- more or less -- to 1B, just in a more "desirable" location. I understand C3 to be Concierge Class, which will give me a similar cabin to 1A, but in an even more desirable location, plus some of the perks I would associate with the Junior Suite on Royal. I've also received a quote for E4, which is an Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda.

Is the difference there the Infinite portion of the veranda? I think that's something I want for the full Edge-class experience, right? If you had pricing all within $200/pp for each of those categories, which would you choose?

ANY retreat suite will solve your “problem “

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My two cents, paying forward if nothing else:  One trick to overcome regarding IV is to figure out which categories have them or not. At least one of Celebrity's Concierge photo examples shows an Infinite Veranda. So do all Concierge class have IV? The example found in Celebrity's booking stream suggests yes.

And I'm concerned, months before actually cruising on Apex, that booking an IV was a mistake. There are days on any cruise when we'd want to close the blinds/curtains to block a low-hanging sun. But I can't even figure out where the blinds are in an IV arrangement. And @KKB, you mentioned that the blinds can't be closed while using the balcony as a regular balcony (bifold glass doors closed and window open)? That doesn't sound good. Just saying, options taken away from us.

Edited by Moonarino
clarity

All Concierge Class cabins have IV.

the blackout shade is not on the bifold doors.  It’s on the window.  When the blackout shade is down the window can’t be opened.

when using the “balcony” area with the window down, the blinds won’t operate and the room A/c goes off.

• Like 1

Ah, so now I understand the blinds. Wish I could've actually seen that in any of the pics I've seen (and saved) of IV "balconies". Seems (to me) it would've been much better to have the blinds inside the bifold doors. But what do I know...

(Added: If I could've seen that anywhere at all before booking, I would never have gone for an IV. Suggestion to any powers-that-be who might be lurking.)

Just as weird (traditionally speaking) is the A/C shutting off when the "balcony" is opened (window down) as a true balcony. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

Thanks much @WestLakeGirlfor your explanations.

Edited by Moonarino
aded parenthetical

16 hours ago, KKB said:

I have done Concierge class--it is not worth one extra dollar, imo. 

If you can get SV--TAKE IT--bigger room, bigger, more traditional balcony.

IV--Seems you hate it or its OK. Not sure anyone LOVES it. Why? It's not a balcony in the traditional sense...more like a sunroom. It makes the room feel bigger, but the "balcony" feel is lost. (Plus the issue that the captain can LOCK these windows for various reasons, the window has a loud mechanism to open, there is no way to sit on the balcony w/o the blinds being up--and when the balcony window is open, the A/C goes off)

We have 1A/1B booked on Apex in March. It does have a balcony door & no window on the top, so several of the IV issues are resolved. It is a smaller balcony & it still the very enclosed balcony feel.

We loved the IV's on The Edge...

1) Allowed use of the space, even in less than desirable weather outside;

2) With doors opened gave the feeling of more room, especially when entertaining; and

3) Does not create draft when entrance door is open simultaneously...

Just a few things we enjoyed!!!

YET, we know and appreciate other thoughts about the IV's which are less than complimentary.

bon voyage

• Like 2