No Vaccines Required?

1 hour ago, Magnolia Queen said:

I implore Royal to reconsider it’s decision to allow unvaccinated people onboard.  

I think it is important to realize that even on Royal Caribbean's "vaccinated cruises," there still will likely be up to 5% of the passengers who are not vaccinated.  Royal Caribbean's policy is that you only have to be vaccinated if you are eligible for the vaccine, so therefore children who are not vaccinated will still be allowed on the ship as long as that number is 5% or less.  If I am mistaken, feel free to correct me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jscruise said:

I think it is important to realize that even on Royal Caribbean's "vaccinated cruises," there still will likely be up to 5% of the passengers who are not vaccinated.  Royal Caribbean's policy is that you only have to be vaccinated if you are eligible for the vaccine, so therefore children who are not vaccinated will still be allowed on the ship as long as that number is 5% or less.  If I am mistaken, feel free to correct me.

First cruise on adventure is at 6% kids. 94% vaccinated. Per M bayley 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

So go to a different cruise line.  I am glad RCI is not requiring vaccines.

This is slightly misleading and not helpful for OP.

Ports in Seattle, Galveston, and Bayonne will all sail with the requirement for fully vaccinated guests with the exception of any kids who are not age eligible for the vaccines (12 and up will need to be fully vaccinated after August 1).

Florida ports require the vaccine if guests want to avoid "testing and additional health protocols which will be at their expense".

These are the most up-to-date policies per the President and CEO of RCI. See my post directly quoting him for more precise language.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Magnolia Queen said:

I’m very, very worried about Royal’s decision to not mandate vaccinations on their cruises out of Florida. Doesn’t allowing unvaccinated people (even kids) onboard pose a risk for everyone? Are unvaccinated people (adults & kids)  have to wear masks? How will Royal make sure people wear masks, if they mandate masks? People who are unvaccinated have the very real possibility of infecting everyone. <Remember, vaccinated people can still get the virus>. How fair is it to a family (or any other cruiser) to go on vacation only to have themselves or their children get Covid from an unvaccinated person?    What will an outbreak do to the cruise industry?   Will countries allow cruise ship with unvaccinated people dock? Allow anyone to disembark?  We need to be cognizant that residents in the various islands may not have adequate access to vaccines.  Should we be putting people who desperately need cruise ship dollars at risk?  
Many of us  pick cruises for the itineraries. If islands/countries close their ports to us because if unvaccinated passengers, where will we be able to cruise? Won’t this have the potential to make cruisers angry; make Islands in worse shape then they are now or cause an outbreak on an island? Where is the logic in not following the CDC guidelines?   I also can’t wait to return to cruising. I am fully vaccinated and I only socialize with people who are fully vaccinated.  How am I going to know if the person at the next table etc is safe to sit near? Even if we are socially distanced? I implore Royal to reconsider it’s decision to allow unvaccinated people onboard.  

For Royal to disregard Florida's executive order, they would have to pay $5,000 per passenger that they ask for proof of vaccination. I am sure they felt that adding $5,000 to each person's fare would not go over well.  So the really did not have a choice in the matter other than moving all their cruises out of Florida, I think would have been a better solution to put a squeeze on the Governor pocketbook.  But as a stockholder, I understand their decision to stay and remove the requirement of showing vaccination proof.  I do think that the state of Florida should be financially responsible for any costs or refunds caused by a Covid outbreak.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

That’s a tweet from your governor. “I’m signing a law today that prohibits any business operating in Texas from requiring vaccine passports or any vaccine information.”  So what don’t I understand? How is Royal supposed to mandate 95% vaccination rate for its passengers if your governor prohibits them from requiring proof of vaccination? 

. Like all social media posts, Governor Abbot’s had one purpose-self promotion, not necessarily accurate information dissemination. 
There are 3 issues at play that the tweet doesn’t cover

1. The TX law has an exception for any business requesting vaccine proof in order to satisfy a federal recommendation for public health reasons. 
2. The Port of Galveston has stated that they operate under federal guidance, not state. 
3 Even if a business violates the order, the ONLY fine is that the business is ineligible for state contracts, of which a cruise operator has no need. 
Therefore Royal will require a vaccine for everyone over the age of 12 from Galveston 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Just now, jerseygirl3 said:

I honestly did not mean to start a “war of words”. I’m just so confused by which ports/cruise lines that are or not requiring vaccines. I was hoping to get a more definitive answer but I think, given the fluidity of the situation, we’ll all just have to wait and see what pans out as sailings move forward. 

Let me know if Michael Bayley's explanation of Royal's current vaccine policies is still confusing. One of my posts directly quotes a post he made on June 10, which is the most up-to-date stuff we have to work with.

It's still tough to get a definitive answer because everything could change a week from now. We just don't know.

I haven't read much into how other cruise lines are approaching vaccines for their guests. You might find better and more accurate information in those forums (e.g., Carnival and Norwegian).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

I honestly did not mean to start a “war of words”. I’m just so confused by which ports/cruise lines that are or not requiring vaccines. I was hoping to get a more definitive answer but I think, given the fluidity of the situation, we’ll all just have to wait and see what pans out as sailings move forward. 

Texas did sign a new law to penalize companies who require vaccine proof.  But the difference is the law states an exception when the company is following federal law.  Florida interrupts the CDC guidelines as "out of the CDC's jurisdiction" so they are not waiving the new law for cruise lines.  However, there is a law suit going on the issue.  So you will need to check frequently and if it really makes a difference try to get a refundable fare.

Edited by Mythbuster

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

. Like all social media posts, Governor Abbot’s had one purpose-self promotion, not necessarily accurate information dissemination. 
There are 3 issues at play that the tweet doesn’t cover

1. The TX law has an exception for any business requesting vaccine proof in order to satisfy a federal recommendation for public health reasons. 
2. The Port of Galveston has stated that they operate under federal guidance, not state. 
3 Even if a business violates the order, the ONLY fine is that the business is ineligible for state contracts, of which a cruise operator has no need. 
Therefore Royal will require a vaccine for everyone over the age of 12 from Galveston 

That makes perfect sense. So why doesn’t Royal do the same in Florida? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magnolia Queen said:

I’m very, very worried about Royal’s decision to not mandate vaccinations on their cruises out of Florida. Doesn’t allowing unvaccinated people (even kids) onboard pose a risk for everyone? Are unvaccinated people (adults & kids)  have to wear masks? How will Royal make sure people wear masks, if they mandate masks? People who are unvaccinated have the very real possibility of infecting everyone. <Remember, vaccinated people can still get the virus>. How fair is it to a family (or any other cruiser) to go on vacation only to have themselves or their children get Covid from an unvaccinated person?    What will an outbreak do to the cruise industry?   Will countries allow cruise ship with unvaccinated people dock? Allow anyone to disembark?  We need to be cognizant that residents in the various islands may not have adequate access to vaccines.  Should we be putting people who desperately need cruise ship dollars at risk?  
Many of us  pick cruises for the itineraries. If islands/countries close their ports to us because if unvaccinated passengers, where will we be able to cruise? Won’t this have the potential to make cruisers angry; make Islands in worse shape then they are now or cause an outbreak on an island? Where is the logic in not following the CDC guidelines?   I also can’t wait to return to cruising. I am fully vaccinated and I only socialize with people who are fully vaccinated.  How am I going to know if the person at the next table etc is safe to sit near? Even if we are socially distanced? I implore Royal to reconsider it’s decision to allow unvaccinated people onboard.  

Talk to DeSantis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mythbuster said:

For Royal to disregard Florida's executive order, they would have to pay $5,000 per passenger that they ask for proof of vaccination. I am sure they felt that adding $5,000 to each person's fare would not go over well.  So the really did not have a choice in the matter other than moving all their cruises out of Florida, I think would have been a better solution to put a squeeze on the Governor pocketbook.  But as a stockholder, I understand their decision to stay and remove the requirement of showing vaccination proof.  I do think that the state of Florida should be financially responsible for any costs or refunds caused by a Covid outbreak.

Carnival doesn't seem to have a problem sailing out of FL with fully (95%) vaccinated cruises.

• Like 3

How hard is this to understand? 

• Cruises from Florida: It is strongly recommended that guests set sail fully vaccinated, if they are eligible. Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols at their own expense. These expenses are still being finalized. Based on our guest survey’s, we expect 90% of all our guests to be fully vaccinated
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, broberts said:

Carnival doesn't seem to have a problem sailing out of FL with fully (95%) vaccinated cruises.

I am not a Carnival cruiser but I understand that they will not sail out of Florida until July (other than possible test cruises) and have not announced how they will deal with Desantis' rules.  As I said they do have the option to require vaccine proof and pay the $5000 per passenger fine or wait to challenge in court when Florida sues for the payment of the fines.  That would be a big risk.

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

appears to get around the _$?_ Florida law they are asking for the information when you book and if you are not willing to Volunteer that information, you are subject to a 5% unvacinated lottery to see if you will be allowed to board.

It is only going to take one $5000 fine to give someone standing in court to sue the state of Florida which based on the current ruling that we have seen that allow an employer to require vaccination this Florida law will be quickly overturned in court.  Just look at the vaccination requirement to send your childern to school, Floridas law just won't hold up. Until someone has standing there can not be a law suit.

Shame that Royal hasn't listened to 90% of there customer base that have told them by their own surveys that they want fully vaccinated cruises.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Nor does Celebrity 

"Although Florida law prohibits businesses from asking patrons if they have been vaccinated, there is nothing stopping the cruise lines from having passengers volunteer the information. Celebrity Cruises is telling passengers 16 years old and older that if they choose not to volunteer proof of vaccination, they will be treated as if they are unvaccinated and be required to follow CDC guidelines for masks and social distancing as well as be subjected to COVID-19 testing — at additional cost."

This is the same as how Royal is handling.  This means they can not guarantee they will meet the CDC 95% guideline.

So Odyssey has cancelled all their Caribbean cruises out of Florida  cruises from July 3-31 due to 8 crew members testing positive for Covid. They were not fully vaccinated. Six are asymptomatic and 2 have mild symptoms. 

Doesn’t bode well for Royal saying they won’t require vaccines for sailings out of Florida. 

Edited by jerseygirl3
  • Like 3