No Vaccines Required?

5 minutes ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

Some people like staying onboard in ports.  That was true before 2020 and will be true after.

Might be fine as long as they have the choice. Not so good in the case of a medical emergency for any of their party and they want/need to disembark if  the port won’t allow it.

Edited by c-leg5

14 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

"Although Florida law prohibits businesses from asking patrons if they have been vaccinated, there is nothing stopping the cruise lines from having passengers volunteer the information. Celebrity Cruises is telling passengers 16 years old and older that if they choose not to volunteer proof of vaccination, they will be treated as if they are unvaccinated and be required to follow CDC guidelines for masks and social distancing as well as be subjected to COVID-19 testing — at additional cost."

This is the same as how Royal is handling.  This means they can not guarantee they will meet the CDC 95% guideline.

Really? Is Royal actually asking for people to volunteer their vaccine documentation? That is not the impression I get from reading the latest protocols from Royal. But.....that wouldn't be the frist time I was wrong about something.

Edited by coffeebean

14 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

HUH? Celebrity and Carnival (and NCL) are both requiring vaccines FROM FLORIDA. There is clearly a way to do it. Royal has chosen to go this route, for some reason which we do not fully understand. 

Celebrity and Carnival are not requiring vaccine documentation. They are asking their customers to VOLUNTEER their vaccine documents. There is a big difference. I've already posted about this in this thread so no further comments from me about this.

14 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

And some legal minds have said his fines will never hold up in a court of law. 

DeSantis appears to not care about the health and safety of cruise passengers and crew. He seems to want the cruise lines to have to impose restrictions on their passengers which will certainly effect the over all cruise experience we all remember and love. Why won't this man make an exception for cruise ships? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

"We expect 90% of all our guests to be fully vaccinated". I would not bet the farm on that. Too many people in this country have not been vaccinated yet and do not plan to be vaccinated. 90% vaccinated as a "gestimation" is a bit too much, IMHO.

"We expect 90% of all of our guests to be fully vaccinated".

I expect to win the lottery this week.

I expect that the IRS will look the other way if I don't pay my taxes.

I expect that we will not see any more COVID-19 cases on any cruise ship in the next 6 months.

See how that works. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

DeSantis appears to not care about the health and safety of cruise passengers and crew. He seems to want the cruise lines to have to impose restrictions on their passengers which will certainly effect the over all cruise experience we all remember and love. Why won't this man make an exception for cruise ships? 

Good question.

14 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

"Although Florida law prohibits businesses from asking patrons if they have been vaccinated, there is nothing stopping the cruise lines from having passengers volunteer the information. Celebrity Cruises is telling passengers 16 years old and older that if they choose not to volunteer proof of vaccination, they will be treated as if they are unvaccinated and be required to follow CDC guidelines for masks and social distancing as well as be subjected to COVID-19 testing — at additional cost."

This is the same as how Royal is handling.  This means they can not guarantee they will meet the CDC 95% guideline.

I just read your post again and I see it differently. Royal is not handling the vaccine situation the same as the other lines. Royal will allow an unlimited amount of un-vaccinated people on their ships in Florida. Their HOPING for about 90% vaccinated but there is no guarantee. This is not what the other lines are going for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Idk what percentage of florida residents actually care if cruises restart. I heard him being interviewed and cruising came up and his reply about battling the cdc. If I wasnt a cruiser I'd think his reply sounded very reasonable. Florida attorney general says cruiselines not immune from florida laws on vaccines. The average florida resident probably isnt like me and wants to cruise NOW. ..but the issue does give the cdc and desantis publicity. 

Someone said how is carnival able to do vaccinated. I'd say good question. After horizon hung on for all last week about their july cruises, last friday night carnival finally sent them a email saying they are on, go time, we will send you protocols in the next week or two. We are still in talks. .. so really no one knows how carnival thinks they will do a florida vaccinated cruise. If I was a florida cruiser I'd wants answers by now.  It's almost july 4th go time for horizon. 

So....Carnival is not going about this vaccine issue the same way as Celebrity? I think Celebrity is going about it in a very systematic and smart way to avoid the vaccine requirement ban. I really think it will work.

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

So....Carnival is not going about this vaccine issue the same way as Celebrity? I think Celebrity is going about it in a very systematic and smart way to avoid the vaccine requirement ban. I really think it will work.

Lol even worse. No one knows..email to pax says protocols to follow. They got a email late last fri night saying protocols in the next week or two. So booked pax even for july dont have any idea what protocols are. 

Here is someone asking about august, what it means .. says protocols to follow .. people dont have a clue. Carnival isnt giving hints. They just say they will say later. I wouldnt rush to book carnival .. florida is a unknown. 

20210616_121427113.jpeg

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Not to mention the elephant in the room that no one is talking about..... so let's say DeSantis and others in their states continue with this type of state law, and by some ridiculous turn of events, the federal government agrees to ignore the Commerce Clause and all plenary powers it has with respect to international travel.  What will DeSantis and his supporters do about those pesky little (and not so little) foreign ports that require a vaccine to enter?  Are the proudly anti-vax passengers going to happily remain on the ship and say, oh well, at least my governor is awesome...

So......if un-vaxxed people are not allowed to disembark the ship in ports that require vaccination, their Seapass card will alert the crew to not allow that person to disembark? I would love to be a fly on the wall to see those confrontations. It is not fair to put the crew in that position unless there is security standing by.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

"We expect 90% of all of our guests to be fully vaccinated".

I expect to win the lottery this week.

I expect that the IRS will look the other way if I don't pay my taxes.

I expect that we will not see any more COVID-19 cases on any cruise ship in the next 6 months.

See how that works. 🙄

Bingo!

11 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Florida residents should contact Governor DeSantis and let him know what you think about his ruling. Just don't do that during his moment of silence.

It's no longer an executive order. It was voted into law by the Florida legislature. I'm sure a lot of people in Florida are happy about the law. There's a lot more to it then just cruising. Don't you have a similar law in Phoenix. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

So......if un-vaxxed people are not allowed to disembark the ship in ports that require vaccination, their Seapass card will alert the crew to not allow that person to disembark? I would love to be a fly on the wall to see those confrontations. It is not fair to put the crew in that position unless there is security standing by.

If a particular country requires vaccinations to enter, the cruise line would not allow initial boarding of any passenger not vaccinated. The cruise ship would have to certify that all passengers are vaccinated in order to get permission from that country to anchor or dock and then to disembark passengers.  So they either change the itinerary to eliminate that country or they have to leave the US 100% vaccinated.  State law could not prevent that.

• Like 1

Just now, harkinmr said:

If a particular country requires vaccinations to enter, the cruise line would not allow initial boarding of any passenger not vaccinated. The cruise ship would have to certify that all passengers are vaccinated in order to get permission from that country to anchor or dock and then to disembark passengers.  So they either change the itinerary to eliminate that country or they have to leave the US 100% vaccinated.  State law could not prevent that.

Would DeSantis insist that the cruise lines not call on those countries that require vaccinations? Can it possibly get that "sticky", if you will? Can he do that? 

I have been faithfully following all of the threads on this issue. We all want to return to cruising soon, Lord knows it has been a long 14 months without a cruise.

I just got my results back from my antibody test today (4th consecutive month now as I had COVID in February) and my natural antibodies are still well above those of a vaccinated person. My Doctor said absolutely no vax shot until the natural antibodies recede to a normal level. Beginning to wonder if that will ever occur...

I am sure there are a lot of folks like me out there who are in a similar position. I have not seen a lot of discussion concerning this situation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

Would DeSantis insist that the cruise lines not call on those countries that require vaccinations? Can it possibly get that "sticky", if you will? Can he do that? 

😂

He can and might say almost anything.  But, no, he could not legally "insist" that the cruise lines not call on those countries or in any way prevent them from doing so.  It would just end up being a conflict over the vaccine requirement which is nothing new.  But I don't think even he would let it go that far.

40 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Because he doesn't want the cruise ships in Florida. He wants them to go out of business.

16 minutes ago, Bead Pirate said:

I have been faithfully following all of the threads on this issue. We all want to return to cruising soon, Lord knows it has been a long 14 months without a cruise.

I just got my results back from my antibody test today (4th consecutive month now as I had COVID in February) and my natural antibodies are still well above those of a vaccinated person. My Doctor said absolutely no vax shot until the natural antibodies recede to a normal level. Beginning to wonder if that will ever occur...

I am sure there are a lot of folks like me out there who are in a similar position. I have not seen a lot of discussion concerning this situation.

100% this!  "Natural" antibodies and no vax in your future. There are many out there trying to figure out the same thing. They can't keep discriminating.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

He does not want to look like a paper tiger, but I don’t see how working at cross purposes is a better plan.

1 hour ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

Some people like staying onboard in ports.  That was true before 2020 and will be true after.

Everyone I have ever talked to about this, and every post I have read explaining why staying aboard is nice, says they like the quiet and calm when all the excursioners are away on shore.

Would you enjoy a full ship that never stops anywhere, or if it does, cannot disembark anyone?

Nightmare scenario we saw 15 months ago...ships going from port to port, never docking. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

No, if a port has a vaccine requirement, the ship will not be allowed to call on the port if there any unvaccinated onboard. 

• Thanks 1

I live in Florida.  We have not been locked down.  We are an open state.  All tourist areas are now mask free zones.  You have choices.  Anyone stepping foot in Florida will be around unvaccinated people.  And anyone that lives here, have been openly living without masks, or required vaccines.  If you are afraid to cruise than please don't cruise, and don't discuss it.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I live in Florida.  We have not been locked down.  We are an open state.  All tourist areas are now mask free zones.  You have choices.  Anyone stepping foot in Florida will be around unvaccinated people.  And anyone that lives here, have been openly living without masks, or required vaccines.  If you are afraid to cruise than please don't cruise, and don't discuss it.  

That is good advice for someone who is not vaccinated or does not have natural immunity.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1