Contemplating a cruise on Millennium because Princess is kicking off kids

addie19

Hello! I'm currently booked on the Majestic Princess and "policies have changed" (again!) which has resulted in us being forced to cancel. 2 of our kids are under age 12 and Princess has decided that no one under 12 can sail.

Anyway, after a quick search it appears that there is an Alaska sailing on the millennium around the same dates. Celebrity appears to have more of their stuff together regarding who can sail and the procedures/testing required for boarding of a non-vaccinated child.

We'll already be in Seattle and the rest of our travel group (6 people including my 13yo) are still going on the Princess cruise. Booking on another line that is allowing kids seems like an easy solution versus deciding to see more of Washington or flight hopping to a couple places in Alaska. 

I see that I'd have to book 2 rooms as it isn't allowing more than 2 people per cabin. And I'm ok with that even though the fare difference is more and not a balcony like we have currently.  I can even get connected cabins!

I haven't sailed but once on a celebrity cruise and that was in 2004 for 7 days in the Caribbean.  That was my 2nd cruise ever and I've been on a dozen or so since on multiple lines.

Not sure I really have a question. Kinda just brainstorming. Anyone else booked to Alaska and also sailing with kids under 12? How is the kids club? I don't remember disliking anything about celebrity. Would you make the switch? I just want to be on a cruise!

I’m not entirely up to date on sailing policies for Alaska, because I’m disgusted with the CDC, but if kids under 12 can sail, I think you will have a really nice time. 

I was just on the Millennium and the ship is beautiful and in great condition for being over 20 years old. 

The kids areas were rather small and only took up a small portion of one deck. There is also an arcade with a few games. But overall I think it will be ok. There will be a lot for you to do as a family. 

As far as the room, maybe there is a suite that can fit everyone, but most likely you will need two cabins for 6 people. For bookings of more than 4 people in one cabin, you would need to call. 

Well, I booked it!

Ship is sailing at 30-40% capacity according to sales person I spoke to on phone. That's going to feel odd once onboard! Kids under 12 definitely allowed (for now, I have a lingering fear we could get canceled again). But, it gives me more hope because celebrity is already sailing and kids are on those ships!

I was asked if my husband and I were vaccinated. And kids will be tested at embarkation with no extra expense for us.

Also, I first tried to charge it to my princess credit card and it got denied 😆. Probably because I've put about 9k on it in 2 weeks for stuff related to other booking and I don't remember what my limit is. Or princess blocked it because I'm charging cruises from the competition! 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 6:35 PM, addie19 said:

Hello! I'm currently booked on the Majestic Princess and "policies have changed" (again!) which has resulted in us being forced to cancel. 2 of our kids are under age 12 and Princess has decided that no one under 12 can sail.

Anyway, after a quick search it appears that there is an Alaska sailing on the millennium around the same dates. Celebrity appears to have more of their stuff together regarding who can sail and the procedures/testing required for boarding of a non-vaccinated child.

We'll already be in Seattle and the rest of our travel group (6 people including my 13yo) are still going on the Princess cruise. Booking on another line that is allowing kids seems like an easy solution versus deciding to see more of Washington or flight hopping to a couple places in Alaska. 

I see that I'd have to book 2 rooms as it isn't allowing more than 2 people per cabin. And I'm ok with that even though the fare difference is more and not a balcony like we have currently.  I can even get connected cabins!

I haven't sailed but once on a celebrity cruise and that was in 2004 for 7 days in the Caribbean.  That was my 2nd cruise ever and I've been on a dozen or so since on multiple lines.

Not sure I really have a question. Kinda just brainstorming. Anyone else booked to Alaska and also sailing with kids under 12? How is the kids club? I don't remember disliking anything about celebrity. Would you make the switch? I just want to be on a cruise!

As someone who has taken our (then young) kids on many Celebrity cruises, I can tell you that their kids club is quite good although that was all pre-pandemic.  The facilities, activities, and counselors were excellent.  Our kids really enjoyed it, but when they got to be about 15, they were bored by it.

• Like 1

Won’t children be relegated to the same rules including being masked at all public venues including the kids club.   Can’t imagine this will be much fun for the under 12’s.   There is also the risk of catching one of the new COVID variants, very harmful to children, if th children mix on board.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:47 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

I am quite sure that Princess did not block your use of the credit card for other cruise lines.  Check your credit limit for that card and you probably will find that you had exceeded it.

Yep. Limit was the problem! 2 fully paid cruises in 2 weeks is too much! I knew the credit card wasn't blocking it for where I was making a purchase. It was just funny to me that it got denied. 😂

19 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Won’t children be relegated to the same rules including being masked at all public venues including the kids club.   Can’t imagine this will be much fun for the under 12’s.   There is also the risk of catching one of the new COVID variants, very harmful to children, if th children mix on board.

They won't have a problem wearing masks. They've had a year and a half of practice! I currently am no longer required to wear one in most places in nc, my 3yo has been questioning why he still has to. And I tell him exactly why. They know about the virus and precautions we must take. 

I can't find any current news on any strains affected young kids more than any other age group. One thing from cnn was about the uk and it stated this "There are no indications that any of the new Covid-19 variants causes more serious disease in children and it remains extremely rare for them to become seriously ill." 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/26/world/coronavirus-variant-schools-cmd-intl/index.html

They'll be better protected on a ship because so many will be vaccinated. Only 30% of people are vaccinated in our county and there are more than 30% not wearing masks. Plus, they will have very little interaction with adults on a cruise ship (mainly employees). At this point, I have a much higher concern of getting norovirus again! Twice is more than enough! With less than half capacity it's going to feel like a ghost town already. Plenty of room to social distance. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:59 AM, lhsail said:

I have paid for many non-Princess cruises with my Princess credit card. They don’t care. 

I know. It was just funny because I was doing it out of anger at them to begin with. Full payment for 2 cruises in as many weeks is too much! I'm actually surprised my limit is so low on that card.

23 minutes ago, addie19 said:

They won't have a problem wearing masks. They've had a year and a half of practice! I currently am no longer required to wear one in most places in nc, my 3yo has been questioning why he still has to. And I tell him exactly why. They know about the virus and precautions we must take. 

I can't find any current news on any strains affected young kids more than any other age group. One thing from cnn was about the uk and it stated this "There are no indications that any of the new Covid-19 variants causes more serious disease in children and it remains extremely rare for them to become seriously ill." 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/26/world/coronavirus-variant-schools-cmd-intl/index.html

They'll be better protected on a ship because so many will be vaccinated. Only 30% of people are vaccinated in our county and there are more than 30% not wearing masks. Plus, they will have very little interaction with adults on a cruise ship (mainly employees). At this point, I have a much higher concern of getting norovirus again! Twice is more than enough! With less than half capacity it's going to feel like a ghost town already. Plenty of room to social distance. 

addie19, you might want to follow the news on the COVID Delta variant and unvaccinated  kids.  Not trying to scare you but just giving you a heads up on this. There seems to be at least some concern about it being more contagious and serious amongst kids but the information is just really coming out.   There has been a lot of early hysteria about variants that did not come out to be of great concern ultimately.  There was an article yesterday in the NY Times on COVID Delta and kids.  Link below.  If you can't get it to display try incognito mode.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/18/briefing/kids-covid-and-delta.html

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

addie19, you might want to follow the news on the COVID Delta variant and unvaccinated  kids.  Not trying to scare you but just giving you a heads up on this. There seems to be at least some concern about it being more contagious and serious amongst kids but the information is just really coming out.   There has been a lot of early hysteria about variants that did not come out to be of great concern ultimately.  There was an article yesterday in the NY Times on COVID Delta and kids.  Link below.  If you can't get it to display try incognito mode.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/18/briefing/kids-covid-and-delta.html

Thanks for the update and how to access page!

I like that chart with the various reasons for deaths in children. Covid is certainly way down the list for myself to fear for my kids. Definitely have more worry for drowning, car accidents, and the multitude of ways they could get a head injury (they can be fearless!)

Edited by addie19

Our kids loved the programs on board, and Alaska is very port-intensive and such great nature talks at sea that they should Love It even more.

we are taking our kids and grandkids (14 an 7 then) next year on Celebrity and looking forward to all enjoying it. we did one a few years ago and it was a wonder. All the eagles and bears….and tourists to watch wandering around! And we are part of the ‘tourist species’!!

Den

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Our kids loved the programs on board, and Alaska is very port-intensive and such great nature talks at sea that they should Love It even more.

we are taking our kids and grandkids (14 an 7 then) next year on Celebrity and looking forward to all enjoying it. we did one a few years ago and it was a wonder. All the eagles and bears….and tourists to watch wandering around! And we are part of the ‘tourist species’!!

Den

Hey Den, if you find yourself in Victoria and want to get together, I'll stand you a pint. 

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey Den, if you find yourself in Victoria and want to get together, I'll stand you a pint. 

You are on!! right now, we plan to be in Victoria on 7 July 2022 early evening on! 

den

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

You are on!! right now, we plan to be in Victoria on 7 July 2022 early evening on! 

den

Excellent, is this a stop in the cruise or are you overnighting? Looking forward to meeting you, I find your comments well informed and fun.

Just now, Denny01 said:

On Celebrity Solstice with family. we can ‘talk’ later and set it up. Always fun to meet different people. 

Den

Yes a year away, we'll make sure we are home then. We don't have a cruise planned until the end of August 2022. Until then we are land lubbers except for the ferry to get off and on the island.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes a year away, we'll make sure we are home then. We don't have a cruise planned until the end of August 2022. Until then we are land lubbers except for the ferry to get off and on the island.

Got your ‘name’ saved and will hook up and see if you Stil think I’m funny and want to team up!!

den

• Like 1