CDC Clarifies Advice

Cruising89143

Thanks for the heads up! 

Regarding this:

"Since the virus spreads more easily between people in close quarters aboard ships, the chance of getting COVID-19 on cruise ships is high"

If this is true, then isn't it also true that this should apply to planes?  Talk about close quarters!

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Thanks for the heads up! 

Regarding this:

"Since the virus spreads more easily between people in close quarters aboard ships, the chance of getting COVID-19 on cruise ships is high"

If this is true, then isn't it also true that this should apply to planes?  Talk about close quarters!

We’ve been on 4 flights since February and they all have been 100% full, six across in coach.  Agree that cruise lines are getting “special treatment” by the CDC

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, H2OH! said:

They surely are trying to kill the cruise industry. Air travel has had no restrictions and people are in confined spaces for long periods of time. Ugh

At this point I'm getting the impression that someone, somewhere is trying to kill the cruise industry.  You are packed in like sardines on an airline.  The current "rules" seem to be not equal.  What else is new. LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not tracking what the complaints are. CDC is now saying its OK for vaccinated to cruise. And the air travel comparison is more than a bit off: air travel Does have restrictions: masks required for all flights in and to US. Testing within 3 days of flying to the US. And there is a bit of a difference between spending a few hrs (US flights) in an airplane and a week inside an ‘enclosed building’, a cruise ship. 

So the restrictions are opened up and a poster thinks CDC is trying to kill cruising??? I give up. 

Den

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

And why are the rules different for children?  The people who want 100 percent vaccinated cruises somehow are OK with unvaccinated children onboard.  I'm not saying what is right or wrong, I'm just saying a lot of this makes no sense.  Either the vaccine works, or it doesn't.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Not tracking what the complaints are. CDC is now saying its OK for vaccinated to cruise. And the air travel comparison is more than a bit off: air travel Does have restrictions: masks required for all flights in and to US. Testing within 3 days of flying to the US. And there is a bit of a difference between spending a few hrs (US flights) in an airplane and a week inside an ‘enclosed building’, a cruise ship. 

So the restrictions are opened up and a poster thinks CDC is trying to kill cruising??? I give up. 

Den

So Covid has decided not to be on planes since it's just a few hours that people are on it?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

And why are the rules different for children?  The people who want 100 percent vaccinated cruises somehow are OK with unvaccinated children onboard.  I'm not saying what is right or wrong, I'm just saying a lot of this makes no sense.  Either the vaccine works, or it doesn't.  

The vaccine works. Protocols are to protect the unvaccinated on board.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

How many days were you enclosed in confined spaces on your last flight? It's a pretty significantly different scale. It's also pretty disingenuous to lump a completely leisure activity with that which provides an essential service.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, bajathree said:

Then why are there unvaccinated aboard? Eliminate the unvaccinated and life is good:)

Yes, but the question was about why the rules were different for children. I expect that is because children under 12 can’t be vaccinated. 

Maybe I misunderstood the question.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Babr said:

Yes, but the question was about why the rules were different for children. I expect that is because children under 12 can’t be vaccinated. 

Maybe I misunderstood the question.  

And shouldn't be cruising either.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, marieps said:

Scroll down on the OP's link and learn about =X='s new chief marketing officer.  A fashion exec.  

Celebrity apparently is putting a big bet on digital marketing where this guy has a lot of experience.  Expect a change from the New Luxury approach.  New Luxury belonged to the old Marketing SVP

In the CDC's defense why aircraft are treated differently.  It's true you are very close to a couple of people for perhaps several hours and there is obviously a chance that an infected person could transmit the virus to people in the area.  The one difference with a ship is that you can have close contact with a lot of people during the course of the cruise so there is the possibility that an infected person could transmit the virus to many more people.  Perhaps from the CDC's perspective cruising is a higher risk because you are exposed to a lot more people.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

So if unvaccinated-  it is slightly less dangerous to travel on a cruise ship than it was before.  Is this at all meaningful to those of us fully vaccinated and traveling on fully vaccinated cruises (95/5%)?

Warning drops to Level 3

The agency also lowered its warning against cruise travel — again, this applies to unvaccinated people — by one notch, from Level 4 'very high risk,' to Level 3 'high risk.'

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

At this point I'm getting the impression that someone, somewhere is trying to kill the cruise industry.  You are packed in like sardines on an airline.  The current "rules" seem to be not equal.  What else is new. LOL

A few difference when it comes to planes

1. Length of time limited to hours not days

2. While people are in close quarters airplanes have very effective air circulation systems that insert air into the top of the cabin and remove it near floor level so air is pulled downward away from people faces.  Unless you are right next to someone and both of you are facing towards each other, without masks, the odds of infection is pretty low

3. There are very few documented cases of spread on air craft, including in countries that are very accurate in tracking positive cases backwards.  There are only a few cases of multiple spread on a plane.

4. There have been numerous studies down on air flow on aircraft looking at particle distribution.  Those studies have indicated that the most risk is from 1 row in front and 2 rows behind even without masks.  With masks even less. So that means area of concern is from at most 15 people. With current incidence levels in the US random distribution would yield about 1 active case per 1000. or that one of those 15 being infectious being about 1 in 66.  For that matter that anyone on the plane is infectious being about 1 in 9 depending upon the size of the place.

5. Except for going to the rest room, and the boarding process most people remain in a relatively fixed position, unlike a cruise ship where people are often moving around and interacting in a number of fairly close quarters venue.

6. Everyone is required to keep their face masks on except when actively eating or drinking.  Saw good compliance with that on 4 recent flights going to/from Alaska.  Even though mask use was pretty low in Alaska itself, except on commercial transportation (buses, trains, shuttles, cabs, etc.)

Bottom line you are more at risk going to and moving through the airport  than on the plane itself.  Especially if you keep a properly fitted mask on and turn the air vents about you on to full helping the already downward moving air flow move air away from your face.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So Covid has decided not to be on planes since it's just a few hours that people are on it?  

29 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

In the CDC's defense why aircraft are treated differently.  It's true you are very close to a couple of people for perhaps several hours and there is obviously a chance that an infected person could transmit the virus to people in the area.  The one difference with a ship is that you can have close contact with a lot of people during the course of the cruise so there is the possibility that an infected person could transmit the virus to many more people.  Perhaps from the CDC's perspective cruising is a higher risk because you are exposed to a lot more people.

What the guy who I Won’t invite to my pool says!!

den

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Either the vaccine works, or it doesn't.  

It doesn't. If fully vaccinated you can still get covid 19. You are less likely to, and your case will likely be milder or no symptoms at all, but you can still get covid19. Notice how many vaccinated people are afraid of unvaccinated people? If it was 100% effective they wouldn't  care.

• Like 2

This is great news! While CDC recommends that people who are not fully vaccinated avoid travel on cruise ships, I read posters who just like others are trying to compare Airlines to Cruise Ships.. That is ridiculous.. like comparing apples to watermelon .. One does not "live" on a plane for days at a time...

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

It doesn't. If fully vaccinated you can still get covid 19. You are less likely to, and your case will likely be milder or no symptoms at all, but you can still get covid19. Notice how many vaccinated people are afraid of unvaccinated people? If it was 100% effective they wouldn't  care.

It works by preventing serious illness, hospitalization, and death as opposed to not vaccinated.

Vaccinated people are not afraid of unvaccinated. They foresee the complications of having such people on board. Plenty of examples have been discussed here.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

Yes, I understand that.  I am sort of playing devil's advocate here with my posts.  My point to all of this is that there are many reasons one can think  why everyone should be vaccinated that cruise, go on planes, resorts, go to the movies, restaurants, etc.  

It looks like things are changing fast as it applies to cruises opening up.  For that I am thankful!

31 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

Yes it does work. The ‘less likely to’ get COVID is close to 90% or better. And if you get COVID, it approaches 100% (as close as it can be measured) that you’ll have no/mild symptoms. One US State reported none, again None, of those hospitalized in the entire State with COVID had been fully vaccinated. All COVID patients were not vaccinated. 

And yes, we will be living with COVID for a long time because even in a ‘1st world country’ such as the US, we have a relatively large percentage who find some excuse not to properly vaccinate to protect themselves And their communities. And by the way, they could very well help COVID mutate to a more dangerous form, but what the heck, it’s ‘our’ right to kill off others. 

Den

• Like 9