What are my current options?

wesnliz

So, I’m super confused as to what is currently available, what’s actually confirmed for sailing, which I can bring unvaccinated kids on (we are vaxed) And out of which state we can cruise out of.

ideally I’d be looking at something in august, 2 vaxed adults and 2 unvaxed children, out of florida.

Is there currently any options for this? For the kids, I saw that they only open to the 5% unvaxed 60 days prior, is that correct?

So far it seems that Carnival in saying "no unvaxxed pax" for now, regardless of departure port, though they have made specific statements about TX and cruises to AK, and only glancingly said it about cruising from FL.

How long is "for now"?  Dunno.

I wouldn't chance it.  Plus, whatever is said today by Carnival or any other cruise line, could change tomorrow, especially in light of the CDC changing the travel warning associated with cruising today.  (See other threads.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So far it seems that Carnival in saying "no unvaxxed pax" for now, regardless of departure port, though they have made specific statements about TX and cruises to AK, and only glancingly said it about cruising from FL.

How long is "for now"?  Dunno.

I wouldn't chance it.  Plus, whatever is said today by Carnival or any other cruise line, could change tomorrow, especially in light of the CDC changing the travel warning associated with cruising today.  (See other threads.)

Sorry to say, I agree with ProgRock. If you all were travelling without kids, then chances are slim to none that you all would be able to cruise with unvaxxed children. Hate to be the bearer of bad new, but I'd hate for you to book a cruise, only to later find out that because of your children, you wouldn't be able to get on the ship. I think things will be different in Sept, or Oct. But not now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wesnliz said:

Yeah I saw the note on the Texas cruises but for florida it just says they are supposed to be sending updates out “next week”but it’s said that for a while

Tired of waiting for next week. I feel like every week is waiting for next week. Makes me sad! Put me on a ship darnit!

Edited by Cruise Related
  • Like 2

Just now, wesnliz said:

Yeah I saw the note on the Texas cruises but for florida it just says they are supposed to be sending updates out “next week”but it’s said that for a while

It also said they plan on doing vaccinated cruises from florida. 

Rcl is doing unvaxxed and says unvaxxed will pay a undetermined amt to be tested. So it's not like any line wouldnt ask who is vaxxed. 

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl is doing unvaxxed and says unvaxxed will pay a undetermined amt to be tested. So it's not like any line wouldnt ask who is vaxxed. 

I wasn’t aware rcl was doing unvax passengers - were platinum on carnival and wanted to be able to use it. Maybe I’ll have to look at rcl. I mean I get it, unvax adults whatever but kids who can’t be vaxed it’s unfair

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wesnliz said:

If i were to book something with kids on the reservation, and then kids weren’t allowed, what are they doing for refunds? Only FCC?

If you book nonrefundable then yes fcc.

Rcl is only doing unvaxxed out of florida and things could change.

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Just saw this on Celebrity Board. I assume Royal will have same protocals. Looks like unvaxxed cruisers will not have as good a time as those who are vaxxed.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

• Thanks 1

If you want a vacation with unvaxxed kids, I would not pick a cruise. Otherwise you are trying money up for a vacation you won't get to take. Wait until they officially announced unvaxxed can go and the criteria used for who is within limits

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

$136 per person on Royal, $178 on Celebrity.  Plus a PCR test within 72 hours of the cruise, at the guest’s expense.

• Thanks 1

For a family, those costs add up pretty quickly.  But it makes sense.  In the US, the vaccine is in plentiful supply and available at no cost to the patient.  And cruise ships really need to stay on top of COVID-19 to avoid a breakout on the ship. 

• Like 4

Royal's cruise has a lot of restrictions for those who aren't vaccinated.  Passengers will have to pay for multiple covid tests and their dining will be restricted, as will certain bars and restaurants. Vaccinated people will have certain bars, restaurants, venues, and events to themselves.  Vaccinated will have wrist bands and unvaccinated will have a hole punched in their card.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6206/?source=99360&fbclid=IwAR2apn9bA3aG3beuFnPHi-Po02twD3kxoFjt_9bFwFzNjwjIXb1QzJgp9RU

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Thanks 1

Carnival's latest updates are about 99.9% clear on what they are doing. Everything in their protocols is about vaccinated passengers. There is a small blurb about unvaccinated exemptions. With nothing listed on protocols or requirements for unvaccinated passengers, the writing is fairly clear that there won't be any exceptions any time soon. 

As the media hype for the Delta variant speeds up, even more ammunition to go vaccinated only. Too many people playing this little string of hope idea in their head that "we will be the ones in the 5%". The answer is no you won't. If they were even considering it, they would have defined the criteria on how the selection process would work. 

• Like 2

Ultimately its not going to be fun for your kids.  There's no option that's good for them until the vaccination age is reduced and they get vaccinated or the CDC rules change.  They can go on RCL but the whole ship will be under safety protocols.  You can try other lines including Carnival, but it will be hard to get them into the limited number of unvaccinated exceptions and you may have to rebook a few times with your money tied up the whole time until you get a booking approved for both exceptions. And they will be under safety protocols.

There are 6 Carnival ships departing from WA, CA, Tx, and Fl and more get on the books as time goes by. 

WA is out- no unvaccinated allowed by the state/port.  I don't know anything about the Mexican Riviera cruises from CA. I believe they do not have anything stricter than the CSO enforced locally, and that they will be 95+% vaccinated cruises.

Fl is still uncertain due to state law conflict with the CSO-  Fl says businesses can't require proof of vaccination, but the CDC provided the cruise industry vaccinated and unvaccinated options for how to return to service, and most cruise lines are doing 95% vaccinated cruises option.  Cruises are set to go from FL starting next month, even though the legal battle isn't settled.   

Tx does not have this uncertainty, and will be 95+% vaccinated cruises.   

Carnival's policy is to require-

• cruise paid in full
  • fill out exception request for unvaccinated passengers
  • live with uncertainty until they give you a yes/no for your exception(s) and either get to sail, rebook for later, or wait for a refund

Unvaccinated exception guests have to wear masks while indoors on the ship, have to follow distance protocols, and can't go on non-Carnival excursions.  In fact each foreign port has its own rules, so its even possible unvaccinated guests could have to take a rapid covid test to debark, or could be denied entry to a port period.

Compare this to RCL-  RCL will allow more than 5% unvaccinated on its ships that sail from FL.   They will require multiple covid tests for unvaccinated guests ($136 each for adults, free for kids), masks and distance protocols will be in force onboard for everyone, although some areas and events will be for vaccinated only and protocols will be lifted at those times/places.  They give you a bracelet if you showed proof of vaccination.  They will punch a whole in your Ship&Sail ID if you didn't.  Port policies would be the same as unvaccinated with Carnival and would vary by port.

Edited by arkaine23

• 3 weeks later...

My guess it is too late for the exemption requests for kids on Carnival for July/August.  I was granted an exemption for my 2 kids but submitted the exemption request within 5 mins of receipt.  You could look at RCL Adv of the Seas leaving from Nassau, we did this in June with our 2 unable to be vaxxed kids. (9&10)  They loved the 2 days ay Coco Cay!  The ship was @ 92% vaxxed vs 8% unvaxxed kids and the pricing is pretty good and not many restrictions for kids - no masks needed in Coco Cay or outside but masks where required inside for unvaxxed kiddos.

2 hours ago, wesnliz said:

Have absolutely 0 interest in making my 3 year old wear a mask 

Obviously cruising will have to be put on the back burner until sometime next year when your little darling will be able to get vaccinated, assuming of course that you will be be letting them get the jab.  Otherwise, all inclusives will be an option for a few years.

• Like 3