LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

We received our negative test results in about 4 1/2 hours . The test itself wasn’t bad and it was quick and efficient . The airport has lots of people handling the logistics of going from place to place.

like @GVHarrier, we too went out for a walk around town after a quick nap.  Had one of the famous Reykjavik hot dogs with everything on it,  stopped to see the Harpa concert building and the Sun Boat

sculpture , all a fairly easy walk around town .When we were down by the water we could see the VikingSky in the cruise port just waiting for all of us!

Once you receive your negative test you don’t need to wear a mask around town. Need it on the public bus  and possibly in some places according to the hotel. Didn't’ t see anyone with a mask on .  The city is not very crowded at all so it is very easy to social distance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, vslparis said:

We received our negative test results in about 4 1/2 hours . The test itself wasn’t bad and it was quick and efficient . The airport has lots of people handling the logistics of going from place to place.

like @GVHarrier, we too went out for a walk around town after a quick nap.  Had one of the famous Reykjavik hot dogs with everything on it,  stopped to see the Harpa concert building and the Sun Boat

sculpture , all a fairly easy walk around town .When we were down by the water we could see the VikingSky in the cruise port just waiting for all of us!

Once you receive your negative test you don’t need to wear a mask around town. Need it on the public bus  and possibly in some places according to the hotel. Didn't’ t see anyone with a mask on .  The city is not very crowded at all so it is very easy to social distance.

Thank you for the update!  How much is the famous hot dog and do they accept cash or just credit card?

49 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Thank you for the update!  How much is the famous hot dog and do they accept cash or just credit card?

You can use either cash or credit card. The cost for two everything hot dogs and a small soda was 1250 krone ( which is about $10.20.

Edited by vslparis
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, vslparis said:

You can use either cash or credit card. The cost for two everything hot dogs and a small soda was 1250 krone ( which is about $10.20.

Thank you Valerie!  We are looking forward to trying one out after our cruise! Figured it was a good way to use up some extra cash we may have. 

6 hours ago, vslparis said:

Flew into Reykjavik this morning - some airport observations

1 . Be prepared to have your documents checked at the kiosk and again at the gate as soon as the agent gets there. At United they marked the boarding pass to show the Docs were OK. Pretty sure all airlines will do this

2. Saw several passengers who had not done the Pre registration , but just did it at the gate ( I don’t recommend that 😉

3. No customs form on plane to declare anything. They have the typical Green sign for Nothing to Declare and Red for Something to Declare . This comes after baggage pick up and on the way to the check point for pre-registration bar code, and vaccination card check.  BTW , we bought some scotch at Duty Free in Newark and just followed the signs for Nothing to Declare. 

4. Arrival in KEF pretty streamlined , follow the signs to Arrivals and baggage claim , but more than just passport control these days.  That came first ( don’t need to show barcode here )  , then down to baggage claim, then get on line to first show the barcode to a worker, walk past the Nothing/Something to Declare section, and then you are directed to a line to have the Pre-Registration barcode scanned, vaccination card check, you verify your phone and email, tell them where you are staying and how you are getting there, and get your test tube for the Covid test.  Hopefully from the next set of passengers on,  won’t need that. 

You will have to show documents of some type several times so keep them handy. 

We had reservations for FlyBus which was easy to find ( although the bus say Reykjavik Excursions ) . You can buy tickets on the bus. Just make sure you have the name of your accommodation handy so they can tell you which bus stop to to get off at. For most hotels, you need to change at their main bus station and get another bus that goes into the main part of town. They direct you where to get that bus.

of course if you are arriving the day of the cruise and taking Viking transfers you dont have to worry about FlyBus 😉

Let me know if you have specific questions and I will try to answer as best I can while the experience is still fresh in my mind.

Thank you.  At what point is the detour to duty free shopping.  What time did you arrive and how crowded was it.

16 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you.  At what point is the detour to duty free shopping.  What time did you arrive and how crowded was it.

I am sharing this with everyone. Here is the Keflavik Duty Free Store video which gives you directions. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xLroucji7A

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

I am sharing this with everyone. Here is the Keflavik Duty Free Store video which gives you directions. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xLroucji7A

Thanks!  I love how the baggage carousels are literally steps away from the cash register. 👍

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, EJLobster said:

How did you get notified of your test results?  I don't think I will have cell service there.....  An app with a text message?

Just received this from Viking a few minutes ago: 

What to Expect in Iceland and Documentation Needed:

• Immigration/Border Control: Valid passport and original COVID-19 vaccine card
  • Customs: Valid passport and Iceland Valid Certificate Barcode
  • Document Verification (outside Baggage Claim)
    • Valid passport
    • COVID-19 vaccine card
    • Iceland Valid Certificate Barcode
    • You will be asked where you are staying (Viking Sky) and how you are getting there. 
  • COVID-19 Testing: (You will be guided there.)
    • Results will be delivered by text message or email within a few hours.
  • After you have the test is administered, you can proceed to the ship.

3 hours ago, vslparis said:

i've been here a month.  no need for any cash, you can use credit for anything.  haven't seen anyone use cash

• Like 3

@SantaFe1 I did ask at the airport about how someone without a smartphone would be notified of their results. They said they didn't know as they never had that come up. Kind of doubt that, but if you don’t give a phone number, I imagine that they would have to email. 

However, you will have internet on the ship and can get the text alert that way . I have no doubt that Viking will help you out.

37 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

i've been here a month.  no need for any cash, you can use credit for anything.  haven't seen anyone use cash

Technically true, but he did ask. Actually 2 people behind me at the hot dog place used cash and someone in a restaurant tonight did.

47 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

Plan on using a credit card but I just figure I’ll get some cash for the tour guides for tips and use up any extra in Reykjavik as we are staying for two days after the cruise. Wanted to make sure I could use up the small amount I have left over.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

I went to an ATM when we arrived 11 days ago and withdrew the equivalent of US$130. As of today, I’m down to about $0.50 or so. It was my choice to use cash money on occasion, just so I could look at the great scenes on the Icelandic currency. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vslparis said:

@SantaFe1 I did ask at the airport about how someone without a smartphone would be notified of their results. They said they didn't know as they never had that come up. Kind of doubt that, but if you don’t give a phone number, I imagine that they would have to email. 

However, you will have internet on the ship and can get the text alert that way . I have no doubt that Viking will help you out.

Thanks.  I had a friend come over and get us set up on Message+.  Do they send you a message when you get tested so there is a way to track the 24 hour period at which point we are presumed negative.  We are at the airport Sheraton. now so on our way.  Early, early flight tomorrow,  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Do you get the barcode if you are not getting the covid test?   Or is that just to show them that you did the pre registration.  I am confused....a normal state for me. 🙂

The bar code has nothing to do with testing per se.  it is part of the pre-registration you do before leaving.  Viking says you will have to show it at the airport in the US to board.  The pre-reg is easy.

2 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

The bar code has nothing to do with testing per se.  it is part of the pre-registration you do before leaving.  Viking says you will have to show it at the airport in the US to board.  The pre-reg is easy.

Thanks so much.  I thought you had to show it  in Iceland.  Not true, huh?

6 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thanks.  I had a friend come over and get us set up on Message+.  Do they send you a message when you get tested so there is a way to track the 24 hour period at which point we are presumed negative.  We are at the airport Sheraton. now so on our way.  Early, early flight tomorrow,  

They sent each of us a text right after testing that gave our full name and instructions to quarantine. So yes, there is a start down clock, as it were.

17 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

They sent each of us a text right after testing that gave our full name and instructions to quarantine. So yes, there is a start down clock, as it were.

Are we supposed to take the cards we were given after receiving our 1st and 2nd vaccine?

7 hours ago, JM0115 said:

For anyone taking the RIB boat tour please let me know if they allow you to take a backpack with you as I would like to take some camera gear.  Thanks!

Hopefully someone on the early cruises will be doing the RIB boat tour and give you more info.  In the mean time,  I think I found the vendor that will be used for the RIB tours.  Take a look at this:   FAQ about Vestmannaeyjar and tours | Boat Tours in Vestmannaeyjar (islandboattours.is)

I think you have to do Control & click or Command & click to get link.  If that doesn't work, just go to  islandboattours.is and look for the FAQ section for RIB tours.  Perhaps you can contact them to ask about what's involved.  It does, however, sound iffy lots of space, as well as lots of photography!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vslparis said:

Texts are through cell signal not Internet or WiFi.