Question for CPAP users

elycelynne

What do you do if your machine is too big to fit on the bedside table due to the positioning of the lamp and the vanity is too far away?  For my first Princess cruise on the Royal I had a deluxe balcony and the cabin steward had to bridge the gap between the bed and the loveseat with a book and I was able to place it there and use my machine that way, and my two subsequent cruises were in standard balcony cabins where I could just put it on the vanity, but I was wondering what to do if I ever wanted to book and inside cabin where everything else was nowhere near the bed?  Has anyone else run into this and found another workaround?

I bring along a 6 inch fold up stool.  Place it in the nightstand draw.  Place unit on stool at night, collapse stool and store in draw during the day.  Works perfectly.  But you will also need to buy an adapter plug the outlet behind the bed.  Many will link you to the device.  

I’ve used the book trick too but I’m wondering if cabins will have any since they may be difficult to sanitize. We usually have a magazine/folder/newspaper with us, so if no cabin-books, I’ll fold up some of our packing cubes to in the drawer then cover them with the paper materials to create a flat surface,

I’ve also been able to put the machine behind the lamp but again, something was needed to fill the gap to make a surface level with the lamp base. Be careful if you do this though (I was not!) as you will want to position the machine where the air intake is not up against any fabric on the wall. You would be breathing in the dust on the fabric!

I also would not use the floor as the air you breathe would first be drawn across the carpet.

53 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I bring along a 6 inch fold up stool.  Place it in the nightstand draw.  Place unit on stool at night, collapse stool and store in draw during the day.  Works perfectly.  But you will also need to buy an adapter plug the outlet behind the bed.  Many will link you to the device.  

I wasn't aware that there was an outlet behind the bed.  Is this on all the Princess ships, or just the newer ones?  And would I need an adapter because the outlet is for European plugs?

16 minutes ago, elycelynne said:

I wasn't aware that there was an outlet behind the bed.  Is this on all the Princess ships, or just the newer ones?  And would I need an adapter because the outlet is for European plugs?

Yes, there is "usually" an outlet behind the bed for the night light.  You need an adapter that will fit into the European wall outlet with European (for nightlight) and US for the CPAP. 

Here's the plug:  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I paid $3 for my stool at a "dollar" type store.  This is similar, but more expensive:  

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Step-Stool-Lightweight-Bathroom/dp/B014WOXB6O/ref=sr_1_41?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2aC5k52v8QIVEj2tBh2NGQQWEAAYASAAEgJPdvD_BwE&hvadid=409960078498&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9031092&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13791496610714170944&hvtargid=kwd-2962503277&hydadcr=24658_11410762&keywords=collapsible+stool&qid=1624501900&sr=8-41

Super great warnings.  Good advice.

Edited by cr8tiv1

I built a small table, lets call it. It fits in my luggage.  It fits between the lamp and the wall. It's just tall enough to clear the lamp base. The cabins I get, the desk is on the same side of the room as the bed. I just plug it in regular outlet there. 

I paid $3 for my stool at a "dollar" type store.  This is similar, but more expensive:  

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Step-Stool-Lightweight-Bathroom/dp/B014WOXB6O/ref=sr_1_41?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2aC5k52v8QIVEj2tBh2NGQQWEAAYASAAEgJPdvD_BwE&hvadid=409960078498&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9031092&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13791496610714170944&hvtargid=kwd-2962503277&hydadcr=24658_11410762&keywords=collapsible+stool&qid=1624501900&sr=8-41

I may have misled you on this suggestion.  I think this particular stool will be too big to fit inside the drawer.

The stool image below is 10 inches at the base and 8 inches tall is the one I take with me.

IMG_0903.HEIC IMG_0902.HEIC

Nuts...I'm not good at this.  Sure hope you are able to open photos.

Edited by cr8tiv1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:02 PM, elycelynne said:

What do you do if your machine is too big to fit on the bedside table due to the positioning of the lamp and the vanity is too far away?  For my first Princess cruise on the Royal I had a deluxe balcony and the cabin steward had to bridge the gap between the bed and the loveseat with a book and I was able to place it there and use my machine that way, and my two subsequent cruises were in standard balcony cabins where I could just put it on the vanity, but I was wondering what to do if I ever wanted to book and inside cabin where everything else was nowhere near the bed?  Has anyone else run into this and found another workaround?

No problem for me. I just put it on the floor where I slept. Hose is plenty long. I'd actually run it around the lamp base. Check with your supplier to get a longer hose if necessary.

On 6/23/2021 at 10:04 PM, gotta cruise again said:

I’ve used the book trick too but I’m wondering if cabins will have any since they may be difficult to sanitize. We usually have a magazine/folder/newspaper with us, so if no cabin-books, I’ll fold up some of our packing cubes to in the drawer then cover them with the paper materials to create a flat surface,

I’ve also been able to put the machine behind the lamp but again, something was needed to fill the gap to make a surface level with the lamp base. Be careful if you do this though (I was not!) as you will want to position the machine where the air intake is not up against any fabric on the wall. You would be breathing in the dust on the fabric!

I also would not use the floor as the air you breathe would first be drawn across the carpet.

Not had a problem placing it on the floor. Spread out a few towels & set the machine on them. You should have a micro filter with your machine if you have concerns, Luckily, when we cruise Oceania Riviera, they have a table & lug right at the bed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I may have misled you on this suggestion.  I think this particular stool will be too big to fit inside the drawer.

The stool image below is 10 inches at the base and 8 inches tall is the one I take with me.

IMG_0903.HEIC 2.86 MB · 5 downloads IMG_0902.HEIC 2.6 MB · 1 download

Nuts...I'm not good at this.  Sure hope you are able to open photos.

It worked, Renee.

Cute stool.

• Thanks 1

We pull the nightstand out a little and the machine fits between the lamp and the wall.  It's not a wide enough gap that the machine is in any danger of falling into it.  A steward showed us that trick many years ago when our machines were quite large but we still use it with our current machines (ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet).  And we use extension cords to get to the desk outlet.  If it has to run across the floor, the steward will usually tape it down so that we don't trip over it.

• Like 2