Travel Insurance

Debra_Murdock

2 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

There can be travel advisories related to things like terrorism and adverse weather. Any medical emergency related to those advisories would not be covered (depending on the level of the advisory).

Yes understand that but the current advisories are avoid all non-essential travel & all cruise travel outside of Canada so wouldn’t that exclude emergency medical for any travel anywhere these advisory’s are in place? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MR_T said:

Yes understand that but the current advisories are avoid all non-essential travel & all cruise travel outside of Canada so wouldn’t that exclude emergency medical for any travel anywhere these advisory’s are in place? 

The key is the word "all" as described to me by an insurance provider. Canadian travel advisory says "Avoid non-essential travel" which means essential travel is acceptable but it says, "Avoid all cruise travel". 

7 minutes ago, Robjame said:

The key is the word "all" as described to me by an insurance provider. Canadian travel advisory says "Avoid non-essential travel" which means essential travel is acceptable but it says, "Avoid all cruise travel". 

But wouldn’t any type of vacation be considered non-essential? So confusing 😂

Just now, MR_T said:

But wouldn’t any type of vacation be considered non-essential? So confusing

Once again, it is the choice of words - yes any vacation is probably unacceptable. The government uses the word travel.

Surely you know people who flew to Florida to "essentially" check on their Snowbird residence or visit their sick relative or friend or any other "essential" reason.

As to why air travel was allowed to/from the US and not other modes??

12 hours ago, MR_T said:

Your best bet is to call an insurance advisor directly.  But all travel advisories are backed by a reason for those advisories.  So there are policies out there that will cover you as long as your illness/injury is unrelated to the advisory.  As far as cruising goes, it gets more difficult as some companies do not like that Avoid All Travel Level 4 advisory.  But it doesn't mean that all companies are denying coverage.  I have a travel policy with my hubby's work, they wouldn't commit to any coverage so I sought out more extensive coverage.  I would suggest companies like Manulife or Johnson to call and have your questions answered.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 10:52 AM, brontravel said:

Your best bet is to call an insurance advisor directly.  But all travel advisories are backed by a reason for those advisories.  So there are policies out there that will cover you as long as your illness/injury is unrelated to the advisory.  As far as cruising goes, it gets more difficult as some companies do not like that Avoid All Travel Level 4 advisory.  But it doesn't mean that all companies are denying coverage.  I have a travel policy with my hubby's work, they wouldn't commit to any coverage so I sought out more extensive coverage.  I would suggest companies like Manulife or Johnson to call and have your questions answered.  

Thank you, i guess I’ve been reading it all wrong and what you said about the actual advisory meaning makes complete sense now… fingers crossed I understand it all now and will be phoning a couple of options tomorrow to hopefully get something sorted out 🤞🏻

• Like 1

So a follow up to my previous posts… I emailed manulife (coverme) to ask a couple of questions regarding their medical emergency only policy and got the below response, the first part is my email followed by their reply in bold!

Hi,

We are looking to get some travel insurance and have a couple of questions relating to the coverme policy you offer on your website.

Regarding the exclusions in the policy under section 8 & points 5, 25 & 26 am I right in thinking the exclusions mentioned relating to the Canada government travel advisory’s are specifically regarding to COVID-19 and any other medical emergencies would be covered as long as they are not connected to COVID 19? I believe this is what it’s saying but just looking for some confirmation on this from the company offering it.

Dear Tony,

Thank you for contacting us.

That is correct.  Any illness that is unrelated to COVID would be covered.  If you would like to have coverage for COVID, you may take a look at our pandemic plan.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us by email 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't read all 7 pages of this thread so apologies if this isn't new news. Manulife will not cover Covid for cruising (I'm a travel agent and I sell Manulife, so I can 1000% confirm this). Their Covid policy will cover if you're doing a land trip though, and their regular emergency medical will cover you if you have any health issue unrelated to Covid on a cruise. Blue Cross Ontario and I believe also Quebec are now including Covid in their emergency travel medical policy. I just bought a policy the other day for myself and hubby for our Alaska cruise next week. I must have asked the agent on the phone six different times to confirm that cruises are covered and she kept saying yes (it's also on the FAQ's on their website that cruising is covered) so that was $75 well spent for my peace of mind. It's medical coverage only - nothing for quarantine but we're sailing with Princess and they have some coverage in place to cover hotel costs if you have to quarantine, so I feel like we are sufficiently covered. Time to get packing! 

Edited by Ginnyfyr
  • Like 6

On 8/29/2021 at 8:08 PM, MR_T said:

Thank you, i guess I’ve been reading it all wrong and what you said about the actual advisory meaning makes complete sense now… fingers crossed I understand it all now and will be phoning a couple of options tomorrow to hopefully get something sorted out 🤞🏻

Please let us know how you make out or what you find out, thx

7 hours ago, abby1257 said:

Please let us know how you make out or what you find out, thx

Hi, 

sorry for the delay as I didn’t end up calling but I’ve been having email communications with someone from manulife and she confirmed everything that the poster above mentioned that they will cover medical emergencies not relating to COVID on a cruise as well as medical & COVID on other vacations other than cruises. 

personally this is good enough for us as also as posted our cruise line (celebrity) will cover us for COVID on the ship for our next cruise. 

10 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

I didn't read all 7 pages of this thread so apologies if this isn't new news. Manulife will not cover Covid for cruising (I'm a travel agent and I sell Manulife, so I can 1000% confirm this). Their Covid policy will cover if you're doing a land trip though, and their regular emergency medical will cover you if you have any health issue unrelated to Covid on a cruise. Blue Cross Ontario and I believe also Quebec are now including Covid in their emergency travel medical policy. I just bought a policy the other day for myself and hubby for our Alaska cruise next week. I must have asked the agent on the phone six different times to confirm that cruises are covered and she kept saying yes (it's also on the FAQ's on their website that cruising is covered) so that was $75 well spent for my peace of mind. It's medical coverage only - nothing for quarantine but we're sailing with Princess and they have some coverage in place to cover hotel costs if you have to quarantine, so I feel like we are sufficiently covered. Time to get packing! 

Thanks for the info, very helpful and reassuring 👍🏻😊

• Like 1

I called manulife yesterday and was told the same..will cover cruises but not for covid while on the cruise.

We don't travel till late Feb 2022 so hopefully things  change and they cover covid..

Either way we will buy what we can get.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:12 PM, Jack1 said:

I called manulife yesterday and was told the same..will cover cruises but not for covid while on the cruise.

We don't travel till late Feb 2022 so hopefully things  change and they cover covid..

Either way we will buy what we can get.

Based on your discussion with Manulife, can you clarify how they distinguishes  "cover cruises" vs "Covid while on the cruise".

Specifically, if I was to get sick due to COVID caught while on board the cruise ship, and needed hospitalization/care whether it be on the boat or upon docking - would Manulife cover that?

I have also been searching for travel insurance for a TA in December.

Locally BCAA does not cover covid. Pacific Blue Cross does but really really expensive with pre-existing. My usual annual coverage with GMS does not cover cruise ships.

I did a search with Squaremouth  and see that they have Trawick International Safe Travel International,  excludes USA.policy . Only single trips available but does cover covid. 

Evacuation $2,000,000  Medical $100,000 with the upgrade.  ( I was searching for medical coverage only as not interested in cancellation)

This policy obviously is no good for travel to the USA.

https://www.squaremouth.com/

2 hours ago, peacefrogdog said:

Based on your discussion with Manulife, can you clarify how they distinguishes  "cover cruises" vs "Covid while on the cruise".

Specifically, if I was to get sick due to COVID caught while on board the cruise ship, and needed hospitalization/care whether it be on the boat or upon docking - would Manulife cover that?

No, they will not. Blue Cross will if you're a resident of Ontario.

1 hour ago, abby1257 said:

Has anyone used Blue Cross....I've generally only used Manulife....TIA

Pre-pandemic we purchased our annual all inclusive policy through Blue Cross for the last couple of years (Manulife before that). They cover twice the value for cancellation than Manulife does. 

1 hour ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Pre-pandemic we purchased our annual all inclusive policy through Blue Cross for the last couple of years (Manulife before that). They cover twice the value for cancellation than Manulife does. 

So ...I guess no one covers covid ...especially on a cruise?

10 hours ago, peacefrogdog said:

I specifically asked about this...any medical condition not covid related would be covered.

No covid coverage at all.

Of course rules related to preexisting conditions still apply.

2 hours ago, abby1257 said:

So ...I guess no one covers covid ...especially on a cruise?

I think you need to re-read the thread, as there are several companies that do provide coverage for Covid-related medical expenses, even with the GOC travel advisories in place.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I think you need to re-read the thread, as there are several companies that do provide coverage for Covid-related medical expenses, even with the GOC travel advisories in place.

I have re-read this whole thread.   The only one that seems hopeful is Blue Cross.   We have called other insurers (alliance, CAA and Manulife) and have been told no to Covid coverage on a cruise as long as cruises are a level 4 travel advisory.   We are spending 7 days pre-cruise that we just booked on our own and was told no covid coverage for that part of our trip also.  They say it is part of the same trip.   (cruise).   Now to call Blue Cross.  

19 minutes ago, mjox32 said:

I have re-read this whole thread.   The only one that seems hopeful is Blue Cross.   We have called other insurers (alliance, CAA and Manulife) and have been told no to Covid coverage on a cruise as long as cruises are a level 4 travel advisory.   We are spending 7 days pre-cruise that we just booked on our own and was told no covid coverage for that part of our trip also.  They say it is part of the same trip.   (cruise).   Now to call Blue Cross.  

Have you tried Johnson Insurance? While their policies vary with the group, in my case and in the case of several others posting here, they do cover Covid-related medical costs. I don't know if they sell individual versus group policies, or whether you might be eligible for one of the groups, but if Blue Cross doesn't work out for you, give Johnson a try. Good luck!