Travel Insurance

Debra_Murdock

Thanks, ItsWineOclock.  Just checked our personal (not a company plan)SunLife policy and we are also covered for Covid Medical under our extended health coverage.  Something I hadn’t known!

No cancellation or trip interruption though with Sun Life

We generally purchase cancel for any reason with Princess or HAL when we cruise with them to cover that.

3 hours ago, CCBB said:

Hi, we are in Alberta and I can't seem to find the "one trip for one year" promotion on the Alberta Blue Cross web site. Can someone please help?

Thank you!

Sadly, there's a comment farther up this thread saying that someone had determined that this Blue Cross promotion is not available from Blue Cross in Alberta. It seems to be available to Ontarians, and as a Quebec resident, I just bought the coverage for the two us earlier today.

10 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Sadly, there's a comment farther up this thread saying that someone had determined that this Blue Cross promotion is not available from Blue Cross in Alberta. It seems to be available to Ontarians, and as a Quebec resident, I just bought the coverage for the two us earlier today.

It may be that I haven’t had enough coffee yet, but I can’t seem to find the promo on their web page.  I am looking in Ontario.  Is there a specific place I should be looking?

21 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It may be that I haven’t had enough coffee yet, but I can’t seem to find the promo on their web page.  I am looking in Ontario.  Is there a specific place I should be looking?

Try this link to start:

https://on.bluecross.ca/

then click on the big white box that says "Exclusive limited-time offer." then select "Get a Quote"...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this one has been suggested as we are ar over 100 pages….but I had to reschedule my cruise.  We have insurance with Ontario CAA, When I called them about adding it to the new cruise I asked about cancellation insurance and medical insurance if it covered covered related illnesses now, she replied that if you were fully vaccinated you are then covered for Covid related illnesses now. I didn’t get into the details because I still have a year to go till the next cruise. 

Edited by Gracelyn
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

Not sure if this one has been suggested as we are ar over 100 pages….but I had to reschedule my cruise.  We have insurance with Ontario CAA, When I called them about adding it to the new cruise I asked about cancellation insurance and medical insurance if it covered covered related illnesses now, she replied that if you were fully vaccinated you are then covered for Covid related illnesses now. I didn’t get into the details because I still have a year to go till the next cruise. 

it’s weird how different provinces work. I just called CAA Atlantic and they told me they do have insurance for COVID related issues but Not for cruises.

Awe well, i tried, I have blue cross.

thanks though 🙂

On 6/26/2021 at 6:46 AM, Wave61 said:

We aren't cruising until March but have made a few inquiries for insurance.  I was told that there are a few companies that provide coverage.  I think Manulife is one of them but they generally are more expensive so in these times, I'll bet the coverage comes with a high price tag.

I am planning on looking in to Carnival's coverage since it seems to be reasonably priced.  Just wonder if it fully covers you.

I am hoping that once things get back to the new normal, insurance companies will ease up as well.

Blue Cross

On 6/26/2021 at 12:26 PM, Fouremco said:

Debra, Celebrity appears to have some sort of agreement with ManuLife. As I have different insurance, I've not looked at the details, but you might want to consider it:  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/cruise-insurance

My wife and I have annual coverage with Medoc Travel Insurance though Johnson Inc. As retired federal employees, it costs us a bit less as we get group coverage that takes into account our provincial medical coverage as well as the more generous Public Service Health Care Plan. I believe that they also provide insurance to individuals, so you should check them out. On our last cruise, DW had a medical issue that resulted in over $11K in medical and associated costs, including a delayed return to Canada from Amsterdam. We were out a few dollars for a couple of non-covered things like our dog's extended kennel stay, but the vast majority of costs were reimbursed without difficulty.

johnson.ca (website) • travelinsurance@johnson.ca (email) • 1-866-606-3362 (toll free)

How about 'Blue Cross'?

1 hour ago, GeriatricNurse said:

How about 'Blue Cross'?

As we have had annual coverage with Medoc for a good number of years, the annual premium is very reasonable, and we have been very pleased with their claim service, we've really not looked around at other insurers. We did before starting with Medoc, and our group rate and coverage couldn't be matched by other companies. I expect that's the same today.

As Blue Cross is one of the few companies that does provide Covid-related medical coverage, they are definitely worth looking at by anyone currently looking for insurance.

Hi, just read through this entire thread and I want to make sure I understand this correctly.  Blue cross in Ontario you can purchase the medical coverage and it will cover you for Covid while the Level 4 travel advisory is in place.  It does not cover you for trip cancellation if you have to cancel due to Covid. Is this the consensus?  Just did  quote the policy seems very reasonably priced.  I don’t cruise until February so I’m pretty hopeful that the advisory will be lifted by then but want to plan ahead just in case.  I know my policy at work specifically excludes travel to any Level 4.

5 hours ago, nickiford said:

Hi, just read through this entire thread and I want to make sure I understand this correctly.  Blue cross in Ontario you can purchase the medical coverage and it will cover you for Covid while the Level 4 travel advisory is in place.  It does not cover you for trip cancellation if you have to cancel due to Covid. Is this the consensus?  Just did  quote the policy seems very reasonably priced.  I don’t cruise until February so I’m pretty hopeful that the advisory will be lifted by then but want to plan ahead just in case.  I know my policy at work specifically excludes travel to any Level 4.

All anyone here on CC can do is quote what the Blue Cross site says, which is essentially what you wrote. Their site says "Up to $5,000,000 coverage for emergency medical care, including COVID-19", and when you do the mock booking it also clearly lets you choose "Cruise or Various Countries", so cruises are covered. I've never seen any mention on their site that the Level 4 exclusion prevents them from covering you, but if you are concerned, the best bet is to call them and ask for clarification. If you DO decide to go with Blue Cross, remember that their sale, "Full Year Coverage For The Price Of A Single Trip" expires in a few days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nickiford said:

A good summary, but I do have a question about your last sentence, where you state " I know my policy at work specifically excludes travel to any Level 4." I'm wondering about the exact wording of that policy, and whether it specifies travel to any Level 4 country, which wouldn't apply, or whether the wording is broad enough to exclude cruising. Just curious, as insurance policies seem to be all over the map on this issue. 

It does specify a Level 4 country, but broadly according to them it's any "travel" that is at a Level 4, in this case Cruises.  This is one agent that I spoke to,  I could get a different answer likely from a different agent.  

14 minutes ago, nickiford said:

It does specify a Level 4 country, but broadly according to them it's any "travel" that is at a Level 4, in this case Cruises.  This is one agent that I spoke to,  I could get a different answer likely from a different agent.  

Of course! It's not surprising that the company would provide a self-serving interpretation. I wonder if a court would agree. Anyway, I was just curious, not trying to stir the pot. 😇

I've sent a follow up email to see what they respond regarding it in writing.  I will post back when I hear.   If they won't cover cruise travel and the advisory still exists in Feb, I'm just going to get the BlueCross.  RCI just announced their Covid cancellation policies and quarantine coverage is extended to April 2022 so I'm relived that will be covered as I'm booked on Oasis of the Seas.  Just need to get the medical sorted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have read Manulife's Pandemic plan policy.  There are a few mentions of cruises in it, where it explains that there is no coverage for people who are not vaccinated. (Not vaccinated =no coverage : If A, then B). 

So, it would seem to me that, if I am vaccinated, this exception would not apply (Not unvaccinated=not excluded from coverage. (Not A, therefore, not B)

What am I missing here? 

On 10/30/2021 at 4:42 AM, macandlucy said:

I have read Manulife's Pandemic plan policy.  There are a few mentions of cruises in it, where it explains that there is no coverage for people who are not vaccinated. (Not vaccinated =no coverage : If A, then B). 

So, it would seem to me that, if I am vaccinated, this exception would not apply (Not unvaccinated=not excluded from coverage. (Not A, therefore, not B)

What am I missing here? 

I had that same thought, and figured we were good to go as we're fully vaccinated, but called Manulife to confirm. I was told that under Section 8, paragraph 26, as long as cruises have a level 4 travel advisory ("Avoid All Travel"), any medical coverage while cruising would not be covered. Now, could you dispute it because it's not a particular country or region that is level 4, I'm not sure. All I know is the agent I spoke to was adamant that cruise travel is currently not covered because of the federal travel advisory for cruises. Personally, I don't see the point of paying for a policy that the agent says won't cover me, because I believe he's interpreting it incorrectly. At the end of the day, the insurance company will decide if they will cover you, and unless you plan to hire a lawyer to fight them, you're stuck with their decision.

Answering #23.....we just returned from Celebrity last weekend and they lived up to those claims.  3 different people were sick, one Covid, and each left the ship in an ambulance and sent home by private plane.  We were delayed 9 hours leaving one port but we arrived on time into the next port.  And we appreciated getting the PCR test on board, free, and the results in a letter in our cabin same day.

• Like 3

Anyone have any experience with Travel Guard for cancellation and interruption insurance? Trying to fit all the pieces together....had a favorable response from our health insurance provider....Canada Life....and also from Viking who will offer support for pre cruise and on cruise issues pertaining to Covid....they offer an off ramp with FCC up to 2 weeks before embarkation.....so just looking for Travel Guard to cover those 2 weeks prior for medical or emergency required cancellations.....they gave good response regarding cruise related travel coverage and reasonable quote for the policy.....just not familiar with Travel Guard.....Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

What are people doing now regarding trip cancellation and interruption coverage?

I am worried that despite precautions taken that we might show up at the port and test positive and be denied boarding.

Cruiselines seem to be covering this risk right now but I think that most will only be providing this coverage for cruises sailing up to the end of March or April 2022, so how are people protecting their cruise investment from this risk for cruises sailing after May/April 2022?

Edited by ShopperfiendTO