Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

Here is another problem with the medallion app.....perhaps people have already made comment about it....but I have a B2B coming up in Australia. The app makes it appear as if it were a single booking rather than the two in which they were booked and paid. While the app has allowed me to reserve specialty dining across both bookings, it restricts booking excursions or spa treatments to the first leg of the B2B.  I'll need to go into the on-line cruise personalizer to book excursions or spa treatments for the second leg. It makes no sense that they can pull in the specialty dining across both legs but not the excursions and spa treatments. Come on Princess!!!!! Get it together!!!!

2 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

Here is another problem with the medallion app.....perhaps people have already made comment about it....but I have a B2B coming up in Australia. The app makes it appear as if it were a single booking rather than the two in which they were booked and paid. While the app has allowed me to reserve specialty dining across both bookings, it restricts booking excursions or spa treatments to the first leg of the B2B.  I'll need to go into the on-line cruise personalizer to book excursions or spa treatments for the second leg. It makes no sense that they can pull in the specialty dining across both legs but not the excursions and spa treatments. Come on Princess!!!!! Get it together!!!!

Excursion booking is a relatively new feature on the App.  I'd go with the Personalizer if the feature is still there.  Princess OCEAN IT team has been notorious for delivering buggy code and looks like they have struck again.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 1:41 PM, Fortunate 2 travel said:

We booked our shore excursions online and they all show up in the app.

That's a very good thing....great! But wouldn't it be a show stopper to be able to explore and do all that using the app??  I, for one, think so.

16 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

That's a very good thing....great! But wouldn't it be a show stopper to be able to explore and do all that using the app??  I, for one, think so.

I prefer to do things like excursions and dining reservations on a laptop rather than the small screen of a phone, even a 6.8 inch phone that I have.  I think the app should be more of a viewer with the ability to make changes to what was entered on the big screen.

The dining reservations were a pain to do.  The interface sucks.  Give me check boxes and confirm/cancel buttons anytime.'

Edited by damiross
clarification
  • Like 4

Like a number of other people I have a plus package that does not show up in the app but is visible on all my cruise documentation and on the website. I had not bothered doing anything about it apart from making sure I have printed copies of everything to take onboard. As of today though the app message has changed. It no longer states “you have no packages” and instead says “packages can be confirmed once onboard by guest services”. That suggests to me that there is a problem they are aware of but don’t know how to fix at present.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blue Midget said:

Like a number of other people I have a plus package that does not show up in the app but is visible on all my cruise documentation and on the website. I had not bothered doing anything about it apart from making sure I have printed copies of everything to take onboard. As of today though the app message has changed. It no longer states “you have no packages” and instead says “packages can be confirmed once onboard by guest services”. That suggests to me that there is a problem they are aware of but don’t know how to fix at present.

Yup, on boarding for our Christmas cruise, the checkin guy noted the wrong cabin number, then nobody could find our medallions.  As we waited off to the side at Guest Services for a ship's officer to unscrew it all, there must have been 200 people in line.  I soon found out why as almost everything I had arranged didn't function on the app.  The first three days of the cruise, there were a dozen 'helpers' at the Internet Center ... obviously the ship had been dealing with this medallion mess for quite some time and they were prepared.  How do I know this?  I visited at least ten times at the beginning of the cruise to get things to work ... sort of.  

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Yup, on boarding for our Christmas cruise, the checkin guy noted the wrong cabin number, then nobody could find our medallions.  As we waited off to the side at Guest Services for a ship's officer to unscrew it all, there must have been 200 people in line.  I soon found out why as almost everything I had arranged didn't function on the app.  The first three days of the cruise, there were a dozen 'helpers' at the Internet Center ... obviously the ship had been dealing with this medallion mess for quite some time and they were prepared.  How do I know this?  I visited at least ten times at the beginning of the cruise to get things to work ... sort of.  

It's discouraging to waste cruise time like that. I don't think they take that into consideration at all. This motto, "They'll make it right on board" comes at a premium--our time enjoying the cruise.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 4:52 AM, Blue Midget said:

That suggests to me that there is a problem they are aware of but don’t know how to fix at present.

Hasn't that been true for about the last four years?

This thread isn't 200 pages long from people posting accolades.   ...and this is the third thread like this.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

We're either chronic complainers.....or the hopeful remnant.  Okay, maybe a bit of both!!!

I booked my excursions the other night for Australia Sea-cation....in 125 days!!! But wait...they're a day ahead....so only 124 days to go!!! YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!!  However, the excursions happen to be on the second leg of my B2B....and, quite naturally, they don't show up in the app because it's only recognizing the first leg of the B2B (GRRRRRR!!!!!)...even though it includes all the dates sailing of the second leg and it includes the specialty dining in the second leg. Since it all shows up in the Cruise Personalizer I'm resting easy among the hopeful remnant.

Peace and all good!

So reading through the last couple of pages I decided to check to see if the credit for first night suite dining in a specialty restaurant was in DMY for our December cruise.  Surprised to see that there was a credit there so I made a reservation for embarkation night for my DH and I.  Then I got an error message.  And then I heard the pings of multiple new emails.  And they were all from my bank notifying me of online charges made - 4 of them!!  I went into the app and cancelled the 4 reservations in the app at the same time on the same day for my husband and I.  Now to see if the pending charges fall off or if I need to monitor my bank account for a refund.  Arggghhhhh!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2023 at 12:25 AM, HiCCCs said:

Shouldn't the showstopper be having it BOTH ways? - being able to utilize all of the functions of planning and taking a Princess cruise on my laptop -or- using the app on my phone/tablet to arrive at the same GREEN LANE end point?  Every other travel-related app I use gives me the ability to do the bulk of the preparation on my laptop and still have easy access to all of the same features and functions using their app once I've left home, should I need it.  The MedallionClass app is the only one for which the preparation is piecemeal, requiring both my laptop and a separate device with the app to complete the process.  It should NOT be this arduous to get onto a Princess ship! 😢

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, kamelia said:

Shouldn't the showstopper be having it BOTH ways? - being able to utilize all of the functions of planning and taking a Princess cruise on my laptop -or- using the app on my phone/tablet to arrive at the same GREEN LANE end point?  Every other travel-related app I use gives me the ability to do the bulk of the preparation on my laptop and still have easy access to all of the same features and functions using their app once I've left home, should I need it.  The MedallionClass app is the only one for which the preparation is piecemeal, requiring both my laptop and a separate device with the app to complete the process.  It should NOT be this arduous to get onto a Princess ship! 😢

That's not what "showstopper" means when it comes to technology. While in theater, a show stopping number is a good thing (the applause is so thunderous that the show cannot continue until it dies down), in technology, a showstopper problem is one that must be fixed before things can continue. IMHO, the Medallion program has showstopper problems but unfortunately, Princess has continued with it despite the problems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/17/2023 at 9:52 AM, Blue Midget said:

Well now the message on the app has gone back to the original “you do not have any packages “…………

10 hours ago, lstone19 said:

That's not what "showstopper" means when it comes to technology. While in theater, a show stopping number is a good thing (the applause is so thunderous that the show cannot continue until it dies down), in technology, a showstopper problem is one that must be fixed before things can continue. IMHO, the Medallion program has showstopper problems but unfortunately, Princess has continued with it despite the problems.

😉 It'll be thunderous applause from me if they get the fardling thing fixed.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

So reading through the last couple of pages I decided to check to see if the credit for first night suite dining in a specialty restaurant was in DMY for our December cruise.  Surprised to see that there was a credit there so I made a reservation for embarkation night for my DH and I.  Then I got an error message.  And then I heard the pings of multiple new emails.  And they were all from my bank notifying me of online charges made - 4 of them!!  I went into the app and cancelled the 4 reservations in the app at the same time on the same day for my husband and I.  Now to see if the pending charges fall off or if I need to monitor my bank account for a refund.  Arggghhhhh!!!!

I am always so surprised that first night suite specialty dining is a big deal. You do not need to schedule it !!!  The restaurants hold tables out for full suites   Just call the dine line or concierge when you board and you will get what you want. It should be noted that this is for cruises 6 days or longer only 

10 minutes ago, memoak said:

I am always so surprised that first night suite specialty dining is a big deal. You do not need to schedule it !!!  The restaurants hold tables out for full suites   Just call the dine line or concierge when you board and you will get what you want. It should be noted that this is for cruises 6 days or longer only 

Why does this surprise you?  Are you able to get the exact time and restaurant that you want at the last minute?  I ask because I've found that sometimes I can but other times I have to pick a different restaurant or go with a time that wouldn't be my first pick.  It really depends on the cruise.  So don't blast me for trying to reserve this early, as they say it's not my first rodeo.

31 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Why does this surprise you?  Are you able to get the exact time and restaurant that you want at the last minute?  I ask because I've found that sometimes I can but other times I have to pick a different restaurant or go with a time that wouldn't be my first pick.  It really depends on the cruise.  So don't blast me for trying to reserve this early, as they say it's not my first rodeo.

Yes  I always call when I board and ask for either Sabatini’s or Crown Grill for 7:30 and have always gotten that on the last 20 cruises I have taken in full suites. Even before we moved up to fI’ll suites we have never booked in advance and we have been on 52 Princess cruises. In fact we have rarely seen Sabatini’s ever full at that time on any night of the cruise. 

On 6/19/2023 at 4:11 PM, azbirdmom said:

Argggggghhhhh!!!! is putting it mildly! It's quite outrageous!

• Like 1

I continue to be amazed at the pax who continue to book Princess cruises, knowing that Princess will drive them crazy with the medallion.  And knowing that Princess doesn't give a rip.  

5 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I continue to be amazed at the pax who continue to book Princess cruises, knowing that Princess will drive them crazy with the medallion.  And knowing that Princess doesn't give a rip.  

Should Princess have subjected passengers to such an untested App that seems based on conducting absolutely no requirements analysis?  Absolutely not but progress has been made. 

Everyone is not having problems. But they don't post on cruise critic to say all is fine.

We (in 3 cabins) are boarding our 4th post-Covid Princess cruise on July 1 and no one has been driven crazy or even had a single issue with the App nor did we on our April cruise but if you go back 1,000s of posts you will see exasperated comments and questions from me on using the App in late 2021 and early 2022 so progress has been made. 

• Like 4