Mariner Wine Package discount

trident

3 minutes ago, trident said:

Is the 5 Star Mariner 50% discount on wine packages still offered?  Cannot see it on the HAL site.

Yes it is.

On the 5* benefits  it should say something like “all of the 4* benefits plus” the following.

The 50% discount is achieved with 4* status.

• Like 1

I have found this discount to be a good item, and quite frankly makes wine less expensive than bringing it onboard and paying the corkage fee (unless your wine is very expensive).  

However, a couple of things to be aware of - first, the smallest wine package is now 4 bottles instead of three.  Personally this makes it tougher on me (DW really does not drink) when on a 7 day cruise.

Second the 50% discount does not apply to the "service charge" - now 18% - you pay the amount based on the original package price.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IslandThyme said:

Can someone link to where you see the information about wine packages on the HAL site. I just spent too much time searching for it and still didn't see it. Thanks!

As requested:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Wine-Cellar-Packages-2021.pdf

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

Thanks! I should have thought of the Jett site. I still don't see it on HAL, and I have combed through that link both yesterday and today. Oh well, no surprise there, the HAL site has always been abominable.

Edited by IslandThyme

18 hours ago, Crew News said:

What really surprised me with this is that after all these years that they have offered this the Cellar # 2 package for the 6 bottles is still totally off. The crew are well aware it is not a bargain to get the 6 bottles when it cost less per bottle to purchase 4. Not considering the 50% discount for 4 and 5 star Mariners the 4 bottle for cellar 3 is $42.84 per bottle, then it jumps up to $43.89 for 6 bottles, then drops to $41.54 per bottle for 8. Both Cellar #1 and Cellar #3 have a reduction in price per bottle the more bottles you buy. I cannot tell you how many times I complained about this or at least hinted at complaining. The always admit they know that but they have to go by what Corporate as told them to sell it at. I prefer a few of the wines in #2 but since they moved it up to the 4 bottles minimum that will probably be about right for us. 

@LAFFNVEGAS  Hi, Lisa - I just did the math last week on Cellars 2 and 3 with the Mariner discount and the 18% service fee and here's what I came up with.  Until you mentioned it, I hadn't paid attention to the slightly higher per bottle price between the 6 bottle and 4 bottle pkg in Cellar 2.  For us it doesn't really matter since we almost always sail long enough to warrant an 8 bottle pkg but good to know.  Cheers!  🍷

Barb

--------------

2021 Mariner Price inc 18% Service Charge

Cellar 2

4 bottles  $101 ($25.33)

6 bottles  $156 ($25.95)

8 bottles  $197 ($24.57)

Cellar 3

4 bottles  $129 ($32.13)

6 bottles  $183 ($30.48)

8 bottles  $224 ($27.95)

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 8:15 AM, DaveOKC said:

Second the 50% discount does not apply to the "service charge" - now 18% - you pay the amount based on the original package price.

This is just a memory test for me. Didn't we decide that if you ordered the wine package ahead of time that the service charge was added while onboard. Where if you ordered while onboard the price included the service charge ? (Or something like that.)

1 minute ago, aa7yy said:

This is just a memory test for me. Didn't we decide that if you ordered the wine package ahead of time that the service charge was added while onboard. Where if you ordered while onboard the price included the service charge ? (Or something like that.)

Not to my knowledge.  If you pre-order the wine package the service charge is included.   If you order on board, it’s the base price and the service charge is added.  At least, that’s the way it has been for us.

That’s why the on line price is higher than the price you see on board.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Not to my knowledge.  If you pre-order the wine package the service charge is included.   If you order on board, it’s the base price and the service charge is added.  At least, that’s the way it has been for us.

That’s why the on line price is higher than the price you see on board.

Thank you, that covers my "or something like that".

22 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

Are you thinking of the fact that if you book this ahead of time you do not get the 50% discount?  I always book onboard, at dinner the first night, as the wine servers get some sort of credit for selling it and they seem to appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Are you thinking of the fact that if you book this ahead of time you do not get the 50% discount?  I always book onboard, at dinner the first night, as the wine servers get some sort of credit for selling it and they seem to appreciate it.

That's it, I knew there was something to remember. On a longer cruise the wine steward likes you a lot more when you order a 6 pack or 8 pack from him. (And 6-8 for the room.)