Would you cruise w a new cruise line w copies of old liners such as the FRANCE, MICHALANGELO, NORMANDIE, ETC?

I just thought today about the best of the old liners & if someone rebuilt them would there be enough demand for this type of cruise ships.

With respectful recreation & some modernization i would love it. With  the FRANCE, I liked the first redo but hated it when they added extra decks.

It would be nice to see some new "SHIPS OF STATE" w the best of artists, designers & engineering.

What do you all  think??? 🚢 

47 minutes ago, Rotterdam said:

I just thought today about the best of the old liners & if someone rebuilt them would there be enough demand for this type of cruise ships.

With respectful recreation & some modernization i would love it. With  the FRANCE, I liked the first redo but hated it when they added extra decks.

It would be nice to see some new "SHIPS OF STATE" w the best of artists, designers & engineering.

What do you all  think??? 🚢 

Every ocean liner enthusiast would love to see the great liners recreated.  They are actually building a replica of the Titanic in China.  Should be ready by next year.  There isn’t enough money in the world to recreate Normandie.  It cost over 50 million in 1935, some say more than 70 million dollars, and featured the greatest artists of the day.  Just the art work today would be in the billions.  There were 400 First Class cabins…every one of them was decorated differently by famous artists.  

The SS France, to me, was a bit of a disappointment.  It did not have the chic designer looks or palatial dimensions of Normandie.  I’ll admit the two decks that were added ruined the profile but those suites were necessary.  The France was in need of more upscale cabin space.  The suites had floor to ceiling windows with great views.  We stayed in one of those suites in 1993 and enjoyed it very much…sure beat looking out a porthole!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Every ocean liner enthusiast would love to see the great liners recreated.  They are actually building a replica of the Titanic in China.  Should be ready by next year.  There isn’t enough money in the world to recreate Normandie.  It cost over 50 million in 1935, some say more than 70 million dollars, and featured the greatest artists of the day.  Just the art work today would be in the billions.  There were 400 First Class cabins…every one of them was decorated differently by famous artists.  

The SS France, to me, was a bit of a disappointment.  It did not have the chic designer looks or palatial dimensions of Normandie.  I’ll admit the two decks that were added ruined the profile but those suites were necessary.  The France was in need of more upscale cabin space.  The suites had floor to ceiling windows with great views.  We stayed in one of those suites in 1993 and enjoyed it very much…sure beat looking out a porthole!

CGT...

LOL...yes I understand the limitations $$$wise but a ship w the Normandie's profile w cost effective cabin furnishings w spectacularly designed public rooms, promenade decks, aft pools.

For instance I am in a 1960' hotel on the beach in Broward County, florida. 

The man that owns this & 11 similar hotels has started a preservation project for the neighborbood..there's a small deli/misc shop, a small bakery w delicious baked goods, scones to sausage rolls. Next to that there is a wine garden w pizza to fish & steak a gift shop a couple of hotel bars, a mid century antique store even a couple of food trucks 1 of which is vegan. All the buildings are painted white & 90 % of the furnishings are from ideal!

Even the kitchenettes are equipped w ikea.

The bars & stores are decorated individually.   I love it...its also the reason I'm looking to furnish my apartment w oceanliner furniture.

Yes the suites are nice ...I now always sail midship balcony cabins.  My first cruise we were in a top deck suite & I remember being tossed around along w the furniture during a storm.

2 features I would insist upon is a full circle open promenade & an aft pool...so let's start...we may not get Lalique but we can copy.

1 hour ago, Rotterdam said:

The Ritz Carlton Room from the RTTERDAM V would be a good start. 🚢 

Yes, please!

And a full promenade deck is, of course, a must.

Back in the 1990s we chose most of our cruises based on the appearance of the exterior of the ships. The most appealing ones were old ocean liners with beautiful lines.  Then ships started being built with big flat sides, and then balconies.  IMO, both factors destroyed the beauty of ship exteriors.

We had great hopes of SS United States sailing again.

We would love to sail on a classic liner again.  No balconies, no climbing walls needed.

19 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

What do you all  think?

A very interesting thought and question!

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We would love to sail on a classic liner again.  No balconies, no climbing walls needed.

Sailing on a "classic type liner" would be something that I would enjoy.  Allow it to be "modernized" to the extent of some of the amenities that most of us have come to enjoy:  some staterooms with verandas, a buffet restaurant, and specialty restaurants available for all who wish to book them and pay the tariff.  Climbing walls, zip lines, racing cars, interior promenades with amusement attractions, etc.?  No!  

5 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

The Ritz Carlton Room from the RTTERDAM V would be a good start. 🚢 

Yes.  Along with venues such as Lounge that was forward of the Ritz Carlton Room and the beautiful ceiling of the La Fontaine Dining Room.  I thought her Theater was the most elegant of any that I have seen.  

19 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

Agree!  When one sailed on Rotterdam V, I felt I was in Holland.  I imagine one might have had the same feeling when one sailed on an Italian Line, French Line, Swedish American Line, Norwegian America Line, North German Lloyd, Cunard White Star, Greek Line, United States Lines.  

True "ships of state"?  How many--which ones--truly meet your definition?  

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

They are actually building a replica of the Titanic in China.

For how long have we been "holding our breath" to see Titanic II's keel  have water under it?  

Probably wrong in my thinking, but would any of us experienced cruisers sail on a ship so named?  Or an Andrea Doria II?  Or a Costa Concordia II?  Or a Morro Castle II?  Or a Yarmouth Castle II?

Those new to cruising?  Unless they would do more researching than I think they would do, these names are nothing more than "names".  They would book them, I suppose.  Because of what I know, I could not.  It would be sacrilegious.  

An interesting question.

While I have never sailed on any of the liners you mentioned, I would definitely be interested if it was SS Oriana, SS Canberra, SS Uganda, SS Nevasa, SS Arcadia, QM1, QE2.

Hmmm...."maybe" Sailed to Italy several times on the LdV, MA, RAF.  We always went cabin class.  My sister and I shared a cabin.  It was  very small and had an upper and lower.  If public rooms were replicated, but cabins and bathrooms were "new millennium" I'd give it a go.

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

An interesting question.

While I have never sailed on any of the liners you mentioned, I would definitely be interested if it was SS Oriana, SS Canberra, SS Uganda, SS Nevasa, SS Arcadia, QM1, QE2.

Canberra and Oriana, yes!  I admired them many times while living in Sydney.

We did sail on QE2; very nice ship.  Floor to ceiling windows along many of the public spaces.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Canberra and Oriana, yes!  I admired them many times while living in Sydney.

We did sail on QE2; very nice ship.  Floor to ceiling windows along many of the public spaces.

Spent an entire Australian season (77/78) on SS Oriana, so was at OPT every 2 weeks. Brilliant ship.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marco said:

If public rooms were replicated, but cabins and bathrooms were "new millennium" I'd give it a go.

That was what I was thinking when I used the word "modernizing" the classic ships.  

Personally I don't know if I would or not, giving what might have happened to the SS United States if they had rebuilt her, she was going to be rebuilt and modernized into a total mess. The and I don't know if a modernized ship the way they build cruise ships now would be good or an insult to the liners of old, they're soo boxy and giant now and squarish, can you imagine the SS Michelangelo as a big box ship? Here's a photo I found of what might have happened to the looks of the SS United States if they had possibly gone through with the rebuilt by Crystal Cruises, take a look how her profile was going to be majorly changed and overhauled into a total mess, so can imagine what the other ships modernized would look like. The United States was going to have all the outside cabins balconized, many additions to the superstructure, more decks added on with a glass enclosed top deck as can see in that artists conception.

united-states-by-crystal-cruises-profile-6-HR.jpg

Norboy, I agree, some of the plans for the "new" SSUS were horrible.  I guess my fantasy is for rebirths of my most admired ships, pretty much as they were.  Uh....I don't want to have to walk down the hall to use the "facilities", but I don't need a balcony, either, so I'd be happy with cabins as they were, and of course the wonderful promenade decks and such.

6 hours ago, norboy76 said:

The United States was going to have all the outside cabins balconized, many additions to the superstructure, more decks added on with a glass enclosed top deck as can see in that artists conception.

I have never seen this artist's conception.  With the exception of the stern area of the ship, which has the step down design of decks which doesn't appear natural, the basic outline of the ship remains.  I don't find the conception that objectionable.  

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have never seen this artist's conception.  With the exception of the stern area of the ship, which has the step down design of decks which doesn't appear natural, the basic outline of the ship remains.  I don't find the conception that objectionable.  

If enlarge the photo you'll see all the cabins above the deck were going to be changed to balconies. I'll post a side view of the SS United States so you can see the differences from the side.  You will see the stern area of the superstructure was going to be totally added onto, a giant section was planned to be added there, all staterooms to be getting a balcony and new decks added. See what you think of how much was going to be added and changed on here with these side views. As can see the whole superstructure was going to be rebuilt and changed added onto. Once done, superstructure was going to extend almost all the way to the stern so the stern sun decks she originally had would basically be gone leaving only the added sundeck at the top by the funnels. I believe 3 new decks were going to be added also above the bridge giving it an almost dolphin look in that area. Different lifeboats would be used as that area of the superstructure was going to change so she looked like modern day cruise ships.

BN-ML491_NYSSUS_P_20160204145258.jpg

crystal.jpg

Edited by norboy76
updated info

20 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I believe 3 new decks were going to be added also above the bridge giving it an almost dolphin look in that area

Respectfully, we are going to have to agree to disagree on the appearance of that area.  The class liner ship design remains.  Compare that to the newbuild Cunard ship's artist's conception, this "new design" of the United States is more pleasing to me than the Cunard design.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Respectfully, we are going to have to agree to disagree on the appearance of that area.  The class liner ship design remains.  Compare that to the newbuild Cunard ship's artist's conception, this "new design" of the United States is more pleasing to me than the Cunard design.  

lol true, its too bad Cunarders don't look like Cunard ships anymore, the new one is based off one of HAL's ships

• Like 1

13 hours ago, norboy76 said:

lol true, its too bad Cunarders don't look like Cunard ships anymore, the new one is based off one of HAL's ships

The current QE and QV are also HAL Vista Class ships.

The new ship, as yet un-named, is based on the HAL Pinnacle Class, of which the Koningsdam was the lead ship. Cunard haven't released many details, but I believe the Cunard version will be a little bigger and higher pax count.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The current QE and QV are also HAL Vista Class ships.

The new ship, as yet un-named, is based on the HAL Pinnacle Class, of which the Koningsdam was the lead ship. Cunard haven't released many details, but I believe the Cunard version will be a little bigger and higher pax count.

There are a few Cunard names I would really love to see brought back, maybe Caronia, Carinthia, Ivernia, Saxonia, ect, what does everyone think? I would hope a lot of those old names were used again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

There are a few Cunard names I would really love to see brought back, maybe Caronia, Carinthia, Ivernia, Saxonia, ect, what does everyone think? I would hope a lot of those old names were used again.

I agree.  Since the new Cunarder will be a different Class of ships, its a good opportunity for Cunard to get out of the "Queen" nomenclature and use some of the other historic names.  I like your suggestions and would add Mauretania, Scythia, Franconia, and Carpathia, etc.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree.  Since the new Cunarder will be a different Class of ships, its a good opportunity for Cunard to get out of the "Queen" nomenclature and use some of the other historic names.  I like your suggestions and would add Mauretania, Scythia, Franconia, and Carpathia, etc.  

Maybe bring back some of Cunard's first names they used when they started? Also added new additions to my NDL thread rka

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 7:55 PM, rkacruiser said:

I hate to say it but the prospects of the SS United States returning to pax service is very remote.  You would need a very benevolent multi billionaire.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I hate to say it but the prospects of the SS United States returning to pax service is very remote.  You would need a very benevolent multi billionaire.  

The fuel costs would be astronomical. To compare to SS Oriana (80,000 HP), which when we ran at full speed for a couple of days used 500 tons of Bunkers per day. We got up to 32 kts. The SS United States had double the number of boilers (don't know how many fires in each), double the turbines and triple the power.

Extrapolating the fuel comsumption for the increased power, makes it uneconomical when paying over $500/ton for fuel. At full speed, fuel costs would be close to $1 million/day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The fuel costs would be astronomical. To compare to SS Oriana (80,000 HP), which when we ran at full speed for a couple of days used 500 tons of Bunkers per day. We got up to 32 kts. The SS United States had double the number of boilers (don't know how many fires in each), double the turbines and triple the power.

Extrapolating the fuel comsumption for the increased power, makes it uneconomical when paying over $500/ton for fuel. At full speed, fuel costs would be close to $1 million/day.

The SS US turbines are shot.  They would need to be replaced.  I remember the SS France burned a ton per mile when running on all four propellers.  If any of you know what a home heating oil tank looks like…just think it took more than 3,000 of those to cross the Atlantic.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The SS US turbines are shot.  They would need to be replaced.  I remember the SS France burned a ton per mile when running on all four propellers.  If any of you know what a home heating oil tank looks like…just think it took more than 3,000 of those to cross the Atlantic.

My memory of the S. S. United States' 

history is a bit hazy, but didn't NCL initially make an investment in this ship with the intent of returning her to service?  If my memory is correct, didn't the Company understand the implications of their investment?