Athens Transportation: Airport >> Ship //Airport >> Hotel // Hotel >> Ship

Bruin Steve

Flying in to Athens in four weeks for Apex B2B cruises, staying pre-cruise 4 nights and post-cruise one night at the Hilton.  Need to figure out ground transportation.  I read somewhere that there are fixed taxi prices for Airport to Central Athens hotels, however I'm seeing some greatly varying quotes.  Also heard Uber works, but really only as a conduit to taxis...which, again, makes me uncomfortable as to possible rates.  Benefit to Uber might be going direct to credit card...but it also looks like I could pre-arrange taxis and charge to card as well.  But thinking it may make sense to have the rides pre-arranged.  I am a little concerned that they tend to ask for time of arrival...and, who knows, with possible flight delays, time to retrieve luggage and time to make it through customs, what time to ask for.  I don't want someone charging me, not waiting and leaving...or charging me a large amount of money for "waiting time"...

Any suggestions?  Is a taxi the way to go?  Should I pre-arrange one or wait and take my chances?  Or is there a better way to get from the airport to the Hilton?  And how about the Hilton to the ship in Pireus?  Basically, the same for the return at end of B2B cruises.  Thanks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Flying in to Athens in four weeks for Apex B2B cruises, staying pre-cruise 4 nights and post-cruise one night at the Hilton.  Need to figure out ground transportation.  I read somewhere that there are fixed taxi prices for Airport to Central Athens hotels, however I'm seeing some greatly varying quotes.  Also heard Uber works, but really only as a conduit to taxis...which, again, makes me uncomfortable as to possible rates.  Benefit to Uber might be going direct to credit card...but it also looks like I could pre-arrange taxis and charge to card as well.  But thinking it may make sense to have the rides pre-arranged.  I am a little concerned that they tend to ask for time of arrival...and, who knows, with possible flight delays, time to retrieve luggage and time to make it through customs, what time to ask for.  I don't want someone charging me, not waiting and leaving...or charging me a large amount of money for "waiting time"...

Any suggestions?  Is a taxi the way to go?  Should I pre-arrange one or wait and take my chances?  Or is there a better way to get from the airport to the Hilton?  And how about the Hilton to the ship in Pireus?  Basically, the same for the return at end of B2B cruises.  Thanks.

Public Bus from airport to Athens hotel - Schedule from Airport and drop off points

https://www.athensairporttaxi.org/bus-x95-timetable-syntagma-to-athens-airport-express/

Public Bus from Athens to Cruise Terminal - Drop off directly opposite the Cruise Terminal - about 2 minutes flat walk.

Reverse from Cruise Terminal to Athens 

https://www.athensairportbus.com/en/timetable/x96airporttopiraeusport.html

Reliable service - Fare a few Euros

Additional information from

https://www.thisisathens.org/getting-around/public-transportation-metro-bus-tram

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Additional
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you do pre-arrange a taxi pickup at airport, you give them your flight number and they will know if your flight has been delayed or what's going on.  No worries.

I booked a hotel through booking.com and because the hotel was over $250, they are supplying a free taxi ride to my hotel.  Apparently, the taxi driver will be there with a sign with my name on it!

• Like 3

On 6/28/2021 at 6:25 PM, marazul said:

There are plenty of taxis at the airport. No worries. The fare is 38 euros.

And the Hilton concierge will hail one for you or prebook one for the time you want it.

https://www.athensairporttaxi.com/athens_greece_taxi_fares/taxi-fares-from-athens-airport

This is what I have done on several visits to Athens, either from airport to hotel to port or in reverse. I did take the express bus to downtown (Syntagma Square) once when I was staying at the Grand Bretagne and it was also pretty easy.

I've found that having the hotel hail the taxi for me (rather than trying to hail one myself) generally results in the driver being less likely to try to overcharge me.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how easy it is to snag a taxi from cruise port to the airport after the cruise?  I would take the ship's shuttle, but our flight doesn't leave until 12:30 pm and I don't want to board the bus at 8:00 am just because other passengers have earlier flights.  Anyone have an idea?

5 hours ago, Lindancer said:

I wonder how easy it is to snag a taxi from cruise port to the airport after the cruise?  I would take the ship's shuttle, but our flight doesn't leave until 12:30 pm and I don't want to board the bus at 8:00 am just because other passengers have earlier flights.  Anyone have an idea?

I have not had a problem doing this. There is a taxi stand near each of the three terminals where cruise ships dock. 

Do keep in mind that you want to be AT the airport a minimum of 2 hours ahead of your flight, and it is about a 45-50 minute drive (but can be longer depending on traffic).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have never seen a shortage of taxis in and around Athens.  However, we have had our share of taxis that are...shall we say....less then honest.   So make sure they are using their meter or quote an acceptable price before you go.  Getting a taxi from the port to the airport is not usually a problem.  We have always seen taxis at the port and they are happy to take the longer hauls to the airport or into town.  I know some like to reserve rides but we have never seen a reason if we only want to go from point A to point B.  

DW and I also routinely use the various subway/train lines.  While they are a great option most of the time they are not such a good idea if you are also carrying luggage.  The trains can get crowded and there are gangs of pickpockets (many are gypsies) who make their living on these trains.  DW and I are good at protecting ourselves and valuables on the subways but would not even think of doing it when dragging luggage.  My advice for folks with luggage is use a taxi (or per arranged transfer) and accept that the cost (which is reasonable) is just part of travel.  For what it is worth, we will again be flying into ATH in a few weeks and will use a taxi to get to Pireaus.  Even thought the subway/train has a station close to our hotel we would not use it with several pieces of luggage.  Another issue with the Green Line is that once you arrive at Pireaus you still would need a taxi to get that last mile to your ship.  And getting a taxi at Pireaus for that short haul can be a real challenge.

Hank

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It may depend on how much luggage you have.   We were in and out of Athens airport several times on our last trip.

We only travel with carry on only.  Public transport is never much of a challenge.  We would not do it if we had heavy bags or more than one bag each.

We took the airport bus a few times. Both routes.  Into Athens and to Piraeus.   It was a snap.  Exited the terminal, jumped on the bus that happened to be there.  Last time we were staying in Glyfada.  The bus driver was kind enough to tell us when to get off and what street to walk down to our hotel. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

If you plan on using taxis you might want to get an app called "Beat."  Think of it somewhat like Uber except the cars/drivers are real taxis that have registered with that company,  You can choose the highest rated drivers, the app will tell you what languages they speak, and the prices are set by the app so you will not be ripped off.  You set it up with a credit card which is how you pay.

Hank

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

If you plan on using taxis you might want to get an app called "Beat."  Think of it somewhat like Uber except the cars/drivers are real taxis that have registered with that company,  You can choose the highest rated drivers, the app will tell you what languages they speak, and the prices are set by the app so you will not be ripped off.  You set it up with a credit card which is how you pay.

Hank

Wow, super helpful. Thanks. I enjoy Uber but it seems like Uber in Athens is just taxis. (?) I like not having to fumble with cash and having a price that is on my phone and not something to discuss.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:40 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank-

Have you had a chance to use Beat yet? I went to download it and it doesn't have good reviews.

And bon voyage! We are three weeks after you, islands first and then SB. Please, post some from the cruise. 

M

6 minutes ago, marazul said:

Hank-

Have you had a chance to use Beat yet? I went to download it and it doesn't have good reviews.

And bon voyage! We are three weeks after you, islands first and then SB. Please, post some from the cruise. 

M

No, I have not used it although the app is now installed on my phone.  I learned about that app on other social media where it got pretty good reviews from many expats who live in the Athens area.   We will try it out next week.   I will try to post from the Ovation assuming that the Internet connection is good enough :).  What islands are you visiting pre-cruise?

Speaking of island hopping I just experienced some regret yesterday that we are only spending a week island hopping after our cruise.  In retrospect we should have planned at least 2-3 weeks island hopping.  At this point it is too difficult to change our ferry reservations.

Hank

Just now, Hlitner said:

No, I have not used it although the app is now installed on my phone.  I learned about that app on other social media where it got pretty good reviews from many expats who live in the Athens area.   We will try it out next week.   I will try to post from the Ovation assuming that the Internet connection is good enough :).  What islands are you visiting pre-cruise?

Speaking of island hopping I just experienced some regret yesterday that we are only spending a week island hopping after our cruise.  In retrospect we should have planned at least 2-3 weeks island hopping.  At this point it is too difficult to change our ferry reservations.

Hank

Two weeks in the northern Dodecanese based in Leros, so Lipsi, Patmos, etc. Maybe Kos. Would have loved to go to Bodrum, but it doesn't look feasible now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marazul said:

Two weeks in the northern Dodecanese based in Leros, so Lipsi, Patmos, etc. Maybe Kos. Would have loved to go to Bodrum, but it doesn't look feasible now.

Sounds interesting and hope you post some info on the Greece Ports of Call board.  I agree that the idea of going over to Turkey might be too complicated.   Ironically we are flying over on TurkishAir via Istanbul but will only transit through the airport.  Since we are flying Business we could have tried to take advantage of the airlines usual offer of 2 free nights in an Istanbul 4-5* hotel.  But as much as we enjoy Istanbul we thought it was too complicated a plan given Turkey's requirement for a PCR test and then having no clue how that that would play out when we later tried to enter Greece.  These are crazy times and even adventurous independent travelers need to be somewhat conservative with their planning.

Hank

Marazul...our current plan, should we get to Greece in Oct, is to fly into Athens.  Then fly to either Naxos or Milos depending on where we start.  Not planning for any time in Athens. 

This may be a way of avoiding the hassle of getting to Piraeus and boarding a ferry.   After four or five days relaxation on either island we will be ready for the any ferry hassles.    Sound reasonable?

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Marazul...our current plan, should we get to Greece in Oct, is to fly into Athens.  Then fly to either Naxos or Milos depending on where we start.  Not planning for any time in Athens. 

This may be a way of avoiding the hassle of getting to Piraeus and boarding a ferry.   After four or five days relaxation on either island we will be ready for the any ferry hassles.    Sound reasonable?

iancal - 

that's what we are planning to do also.  We fly from ATH to Leros and back, but we are planning on using the ferries a couple of times while we are there to go to neighboring islands.  Some day trips and maybe an overnight.  Right now, tests, etc are not required for ferry travel amongst the islands, only between the islands and the mainland.

3 hours ago, marazul said:

iancal - 

that's what we are planning to do also.  We fly from ATH to Leros and back, but we are planning on using the ferries a couple of times while we are there to go to neighboring islands.  Some day trips and maybe an overnight.  Right now, tests, etc are not required for ferry travel amongst the islands, only between the islands and the mainland.

We have only ever done Olympic/Aegean.  And been very pleased with both-domestic and international. 

Is there anything we should know about sky express?

As an aside,  years ago I attended an Olympic Airlines event in Montreal, Canada.  It was a celebration of the commencement of their  direct flight service  to Montreal. Nana Mouskouri was the guest of honour/entertainment..  Really dating myself with that!  Alas, no more.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, iancal said:

We have only ever done Olympic/Aegean.  And been very pleased with both-domestic and international. 

Is there anything we should know about sky express?

As an aside,  years ago I attended an Olympic Airlines event in Montreal, Canada.  It was a celebration of the commencement of their  direct flight service  to Montreal. Nana Mouskouri was the guest of honour/entertainment..  Really dating myself with that!  Alas, no more.

I am not familiar with sky express.  We are flying Olympic/Aegean. They are fine and they do fly to all the small islands. 

To circle back and follow up....since we are now in Athens and leave the hotel for the ship tomorrow.

My wife prefers NOT to take a train or bus...She doesn't want to have to schlepp luggage on or off the vehicle or lift it onto a rack...prefers door-to-door personalized service...so out usual default is Uber, if not a taxi.  I learned on these boards that, due to Greek law, Uber in Athens operates as little more than a taxi intermediary.  So, I scanned the internet, checked websites such as tripadvisor for reviews and compared prices...as well as reviews/ratings.

I learned there is a FIXED fare from the Airport to central Athens hotels of €38...But all taxis/car services don't necessarily abide by this.  I saw several services quoting higher fares.  From hotel to the pier in Piraeus, it's a free-for-all...prices vary widely.

I ended up choosing to go with a company called Athens Airport Taxi.  Good ratings on tripadvisor.  and Emmy from the company was both prompt and responsive.  Quoted me the standard €38 from the airport to the Hilton...and €23 from the Hilton to the pier...Same in reverse.  Emailed reminders the day before the ride each time thus far.  When we got to the airport, after going through passport control and collecting our luggage, the driver was waiting right by the exit door with a sign with our name on it, just as promised.  No payment in advance was required, credit card to the driver at the end of each leg.

So, it will end us costing us €122 total, Airport to Hilton, Hilton to ship, ship to Hilton, Hilton to Airport.  Might have done it a bit cheaper with a bus or train...but this is far easier--door-to-door personalized service.  And the company appears very dependable and honest.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, ssbeard1 said:

Bruin Steve -  I tried googling Athens Airport Taxi but the online form quoted me a few of 55 euros for taxi to downtown hotel.   Did you have a # you called?  Thanks.  

Athens Airport Taxi | Taxi – Minivan – Minibus

info@athensairport.taxi

TEL. 0030 694 164 94 64

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1